Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27683 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »

"Likes Griffons for their strength"

Never seen that one before, and now that I look through the custom Refuse options I see Griffon, Centaur, and Chimera. A portent of things to come?

Those have been in the game for quite a while, reaching back to 40D I think. They always had the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag so I don't think Toady has any plans on making them real. If he wanted to he could quite easily.

Now that I think about, procedurally generated Chimeras would be pretty damn cool.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:02 pm »

I want worlds to procedurally generate their own mythological creatures, not just titans and forgotten beasts but everything.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

I want worlds to procedurally generate their own mythological creatures, not just titans and forgotten beasts but everything.

I don't know, I think it's good that not everything is procedurally generated. It gives players more common ground to talk about. Everything being procedurally generated would be excessive.

I think Night Beasts are procedurally generated though, as I can't find the raws for them. So there is that now.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

MacMahoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »

anyone else noticed this?
Is it possible that toady made dwarves even lazier? I am upgrading from .12 to .17 and noticed my miners make it down to my mines, mine about a dozen squares and go back to my dining room for a drink. Either my plan of not burying anything has turned them into a bunch of depressed alcoholics or they are the laziest dwarves i have ever seen.

Well that and i noticed my broker take a break, drink and need another break after drinking.

Bunch a lazy gits

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:12 pm »

Did macabre moods only require skulls and bones before?

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

I'm wondering if Dwarves that aren't residents of the fortress can become ghosts. If so, it might be more important to protect those merchants.

I recently had the Outpost Liason fall down my grand stairwell. He now haunts it. So if those merchants die you might consider putting up a few coffins or slabs.

It's so hard to decide what I should do. Should I keep the ghost around and let my stairwell be haunted? It does make for a more interesting fortress. On the other hand I don't need dwarves going sleepless and throwing tantrums this early on.

What to do, what to do...
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »

but my mayor still has a relationship with her dead pet flesh balls.
A relationship with what?!

Don't laugh. She has an adamantine battle axe.
And suddenly: A kinky thought
Anyway, we have ghosts that haunt people now?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

"Likes Griffons for their strength"

Never seen that one before, and now that I look through the custom Refuse options I see Griffon, Centaur, and Chimera. A portent of things to come?

Those have been in the game for quite a while, reaching back to 40D I think. They always had the [DOES_NOT_EXIST] tag so I don't think Toady has any plans on making them real. If he wanted to he could quite easily.

Now that I think about, procedurally generated Chimeras would be pretty damn cool.

See, and I knew they'd show up in engravings and such, but I never noticed them in the stockpile options and I certainly never saw a dwarf with a preference for them. But then, maybe its just me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:08 pm »

I'm wondering if Dwarves that aren't residents of the fortress can become ghosts. If so, it might be more important to protect those merchants.

I recently had the Outpost Liason fall down my grand stairwell. He now haunts it. So if those merchants die you might consider putting up a few coffins or slabs.

It's so hard to decide what I should do. Should I keep the ghost around and let my stairwell be haunted? It does make for a more interesting fortress. On the other hand I don't need dwarves going sleepless and throwing tantrums this early on.

What to do, what to do...

Let him haunt it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2010, 02:40:49 am »

I do believe that is the stated goals of the game.  ...though probably not everything, because like, dwarves are likely to be constant in the final version.  But Toady's made comments about replacing Good/Evil biomes with randomly generated traits and has been making random bogeymen and trolls already and has plans for more...

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2010, 03:17:56 am »

Once again, the best thing to do would be to give the GENERATED tag the ability to work in the editable raw files. Alternatively, have generated fauna, plants and whatever be an option in the Init files, so you could choose what you want.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:49 am »

I do believe that is the stated goals of the game.  ...though probably not everything, because like, dwarves are likely to be constant in the final version.  But Toady's made comments about replacing Good/Evil biomes with randomly generated traits and has been making random bogeymen and trolls already and has plans for more...
Oh yeah, I just want the mythos to be generated. Like you would have all of the normal 'real' metals, copper and tin and iron and such, then mythical metals with odd and useful properties would be generated. Just as an example.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2010, 07:27:08 am »

So, I've had a violent ghost beat up my dwarves an an energetic poltergeist tip them out of their chairs while they ate. This is fun! :D
Well not the violent ghost, but I can't make it go away - the corpse is long gone, and I can't find its name in the slab menu. :/

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:18 am »

Oh yeah, I just want the mythos to be generated. Like you would have all of the normal 'real' metals, copper and tin and iron and such, then mythical metals with odd and useful properties would be generated. Just as an example.

That would be a pretty good idea; I'm not certain how much of that is planned, but I know in one of the DFTalks Toady said he wanted the game to be a fantasy world generator.  So probably a lot of it.

Plus hopefully at some point we'll be able to edit the procedurally generated stuff in the raws?  That would be useful.  Especially if we want to make non-fantasy mods.  Because the presence of troll-things and bogeymen and demons are currently going to mess up any of those a bit. :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2010, 08:18:54 am »

I've also read somewhere else (probably one of His interviews) that after the experience of the first game chapter he wanted some elements of the world not to be generated, as to provide a familiar setting for players to start with.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17