Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27746 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »

Well, if you want to be pedantic, Salmongod originally implied that the panic room was sealed, hence could not access the bodies of the fallen; having slabs is only half a solution since you still have to engrave them and you can't do that until the dwarf in question is actually dead.  :P

I'm waiting to get my first artifact slab, I want to know if anything special happens when I engrave it into a memorial.

Would be awesome if that produced a positive ancestral spirit, who could give happy thoughts and guidance.

Until invaders defile it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »

I wonder if one could come across ghosts as an adventurer visiting a crumbled fort...
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:49 pm »

I just had an OOOOOOoooooOOOOOoo who died in slate appear in early galena. How long does it take on average for one to appear?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:42 pm »

I wonder, if your fort is utterly destroyed by an invasion that leaves many dwarves unburied, and you then reclaim or visit it in adventure mode, whether the next visitors to the site will be haunted by unnamed ghosts.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 11:32:16 pm »

WAIT

You can build slabs to named creatures, as I just made a slab to a named werewolf.

This...

Could be !!fun!!.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 11:33:13 pm »

WAIT

You can build slabs to named creatures, as I just made a slab to a named werewolf.

This...

Could be !!fun!!.

Slabs to named goblin leaders possible  ;D?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:33 pm »

WAIT

This...

Could be !!fun!!.

Slabs to named goblin leaders possible  ;D?

WAIT

If there can be slabs to them, could they...

Ownerplanes, werewolf has risen and is and is haunting the fortress

(It hasn't happened... YET.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »

I like the idea of an annoying little fucking goblin ghost running around bugging the dwarves, demanding a monument to his greatness.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:24:25 am by forsaken1111 »

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:02 am »

I've got a second werewolf who got a named engraved on a slab.

OOOOOooooOO.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:19 am »

Slabs can be placed without engravings and be used for sculpture gardens. After engravings, they can become memorial halls. A proper dwarven burial (burial, not cremation) then, would slap down multiple slabs around a coffin inside a large memorial hall. I also noticed my dwarves actually had a birth date now instead of being spawned mysteriously out of thin air. Or maybe they had a birth date assigned to them despite being conjured up, I'd need to check Legends mode to see that.

Also, I find it amusing I could even make a slab engraving of the skeletal horse that killed my dwarf. Aimed combat makes things scary - one charge connecting adn the next moment the prone dwarf gets a bony horse kick in the head, instant killing because this was way early game and I only had axe and shield for my two soldiers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:34 am »

May I venture a guess that a rock slab is for non-coffin burials?  Say, for "burying" someone that no longer has remains.

It doesn't appear to be. I built one, and as far as I can tell it serves the same purpose as a statue. Not sure exactly what the point is.

After you make a stone slab, go to your craftworker's shop, and select engrave a memorial (alt-S). You will be presented with a list of dead dwarves and other creatures (my list included dead merchants and goblins). Havent gone beyond this point though.

I am assuming this will produce an engraved slab you can use to memorialize your lost dwarves, and like burying, will prevent the dead from coming back.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2010, 09:11:03 am »

I like slabs as an alternative to coffins when making giant burial chambers.  Coffins are still super sweet for tombs like they oughtta be.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

I wonder, if your fort is utterly destroyed by an invasion that leaves many dwarves unburied, and you then reclaim or visit it in adventure mode, whether the next visitors to the site will be haunted by unnamed ghosts.
I just reclaimed an old fortress that crumbled into ruins. Its old inhabitants are ghosts now, they don't seem to haunt anyone, though. They just kinda hang around in the front yard.

Edit: Oh, wait, they do haunt. Time to make rock slabs I guess.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:45:41 am by Glanzor »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:06 pm »

I like the idea of an annoying little fucking goblin ghost running around bugging the dwarves, demanding a monument to his greatness.
Unless it's a goblin who managed to force his way into your meeting hall before being taken down by that one Urist McAxedwarf who decided to have a drink rather than protect his home, family, and friends. And becomes a murderous ghost.

"Stop frickin' dying of fright, guys! He wasn't that bad the first time around!"
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:14 pm »

I also noticed my dwarves actually had a birth date now instead of being spawned mysteriously out of thin air. Or maybe they had a birth date assigned to them despite being conjured up, I'd need to check Legends mode to see that.

I checked legends mode for the fort I just started, and as far as I can tell the Dwarves are pulled out of thin air. Which is somewhat annoying, but at the same time I guess it gives you more artistic liberty.

Also a minor problem with the new worship system is that I've seen dwarves that worship the same god twice. So you end up with dwarves that are both casual and faithful worshipers to the same entity.

Speaking of worship, is it possible to get dwarves in fortress mode that worship megabeasts?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:22:24 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17