Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27713 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

A spiral is what I'd hoped for. However, I have 23 dead dwarfs and only 2 ghosts to show for it; I think there's some sort of cap on how many you get. Or maybe they need to be unhappy at the moment of their death, or something.

And yeah, one dwarf ghost has killed one dwarf. Not too impressive.

Edit:
Ah yes, ghost weaponisation. They can't be contained, but they tend to haunt the place where they died. In the best case, if the undead work the way I hope they do, we could torture a group of dwarves into insanity, and then dump them from an entrance drawbridge into a killing pit. The pit full of angry ghosts could then be used to drop invaders into, and get them scared to death.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »

Could get unbelievably annoying if you have a legendary soldier that gets owned by it instead.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2010, 05:21:54 pm »

Sure would be nice if tombs got the same awesome memorial engravings instead of only the slabs.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2010, 05:28:46 pm »

I got a third type of ghost: "A forlorn haunt, seeking out known locations or drifting around the place of death."

Also, the murderous ghost killed another dwarf - again, a stranger.

Sure would be nice if tombs got the same awesome memorial engravings instead of only the slabs.
I've always thought it'd be nice if dwarves were actually buried. As in, in the ground. Rather than just put on display.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2010, 05:39:34 pm »

Ah yes, ghost weaponisation. They can't be contained, but they tend to haunt the place where they died. In the best case, if the undead work the way I hope they do, we could torture a group of dwarves into insanity, and then dump them from an entrance drawbridge into a killing pit. The pit full of angry ghosts could then be used to drop invaders into, and get them scared to death.

One of the funniests posts in this thread.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2010, 05:42:37 pm »

Perhaps you could just put a slab in the tomb along with the coffin. Think of a slab as a gravestone.

Also, here's a weird glitch; when I went back to my old fort after messing around with a test one, my military squads had been erased and replaced with the ones from the test fort. Odd.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »

Perhaps you could just put a slab in the tomb along with the coffin. Think of a slab as a gravestone.

Also, here's a weird glitch; when I went back to my old fort after messing around with a test one, my military squads had been erased and replaced with the ones from the test fort. Odd.

That's a bug with the military. It's not new. In a nutshell, the military fails to unload properly between saves -- next time exit fully out of dwarf fortress and restart the application. Irritating work around, but c'est la vie.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2010, 05:52:49 pm »

The major problem I see with this is recovering from a near wipe-out of your fortress.  Your panic room must now include the capability to produce slabs and plant a graveyard, or your fallen friends and family will penetrate your sanctuary and punish you for your cowardice!

This makes for some amazing imagery.  A handful of dwarves remain out of 80 after sealing themselves away from the outside.  They have enough provisions to wait out the dangers, and things seem to have stabilized at first.  The survivors are shaken, but dealing well enough with their trauma. 

Then... they begin catching grotesque images of their mutilated loved ones... calling out to them... taunting them for their cowardice... lulling them to madness... begging for peace... rest...

There's a single pick among the panic room provisions.  The dead must have their respects.  A masonry is need to produce graves, and some space made to plant them.  It's easy work, but it feels like an eternity as everyone's sanity slowly erodes.  It's done, though, without anyone snapping.  The survivors pass two years here, drinking and sleeping among the graves.

The rebuilding begins.  Migrants are bewildered by the distant eyes of the senior inhabitants, and the engravings....

This is an engraving of the Urist and slabs.  Urist is surrounded by the slabs.  Urist is weeping.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »

That's a bug with the military. It's not new. In a nutshell, the military fails to unload properly between saves -- next time exit fully out of dwarf fortress and restart the application. Irritating work around, but c'est la vie.

Oh, I see. I'll have to keep that in mind. Especially because this little error just fucked up my fort. I had to form a new squad, causing everyone to go pick up new equipment. Someone picked up a piece of equipment covered in a mysterious disease I can not figure out how to get rid of, and then exploded into a pile of gore. And this trend continued until I only had 3 fucking dwarves left.

I love this game, but it definitely doesn't love me.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2010, 06:25:47 pm »

The major problem I see with this is recovering from a near wipe-out of your fortress.  Your panic room must now include the capability to produce slabs and plant a graveyard, or your fallen friends and family will penetrate your sanctuary and punish you for your cowardice!
Or just keep slabs and coffins ready for your dwarves in advance.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »

SalmonGod has been unhappy lately.  He admired a finely crafted game recently.  He was forced to endure the decay of his soul at work recently.  He got pwned on an internet forum recently.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »

SalmonGod has been unhappy lately.  He admired a finely crafted game recently.  He was forced to endure the decay of his soul at work recently.  He got pwned on an internet forum recently.

Well, not really. You couldn't keep the coffins ready since they need to be filled, not just assigned, and you're stuck in your panic room, presumably without access to the bodies.

You could indeed keep the slabs ready in advance, but would still have to engrave them into memorials, since that can't be done until the memoree memorialised dude in question is dead.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »

Hmm, Thinking like it's something along the lines of a slab that people are placed on in mausoleums, then?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »

Well, not really. You couldn't keep the coffins ready since they need to be filled, not just assigned, and you're stuck in your panic room, presumably without access to the bodies.

You could indeed keep the slabs ready in advance, but would still have to engrave them into memorials, since that can't be done until the memoree memorialised dude in question is dead.
You can have the coffins already lain, then any survivors can inter the dead. Or just keep the slabs ready as you've said, and inter the dead later. I did include both in my post.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 10:05:17 pm »

Well, if you want to be pedantic, Salmongod originally implied that the panic room was sealed, hence could not access the bodies of the fallen; having slabs is only half a solution since you still have to engrave them and you can't do that until the dwarf in question is actually dead.  :P

I'm waiting to get my first artifact slab, I want to know if anything special happens when I engrave it into a memorial.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17