Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32322 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #390 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »

What mattered there was not only lack of armor, but lack of shield. You can try to block fire with your shield like a badass also watch out for hot stuff on the ground like boiling blood

If fighting dragons, GET AN IRON OR STEEL SHIELD somehow. I don't care how, but you need one, otherwise you get an arm covered in molten bronze, and then killed.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47:39 pm »

I found several small armor stuff in lairs

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »

Maybe it's just me but the distribution of loot in caves seems really well done in this version. Most of the night creature caves had no loot besides some knives and forks (and for some reason nearly all had querns ???). When I was sent to kill a troll which seems (in theroy) to be much harder, there were random coins, decorated clothing and some bronze leggings as well as the bodies of the previous adventurers it had killed, which seemed to balance difficulty with reward quite well.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:56 pm »

My mighty Axeman who slayed many, MANY evil things was killed by a potash maker :(

I defeated a titan by slicing it's head off and threw it's head in my victory :)

It hit one of my 3 allies and then my freind the potash maker beside me got mad and stabbed me in the throat.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 15, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »

Holy shit that's a funny death in a way xD

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 15, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »

Maybe it's just me but the distribution of loot in caves seems really well done in this version. Most of the night creature caves had no loot besides some knives and forks (and for some reason nearly all had querns ???). When I was sent to kill a troll which seems (in theroy) to be much harder, there were random coins, decorated clothing and some bronze leggings as well as the bodies of the previous adventurers it had killed, which seemed to balance difficulty with reward quite well.

The querns are for grinding up fireflies, which they appear to life off of. I mostly get armour from bandit camps, and then get better stuff from Dragons and Titans later on.

I will buy better weapons, though.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 15, 2010, 04:52:49 pm »

Akigagak you're a pro can you help me please, i was wondering if we can go to hell in adventurer mode and if all fortress monsters that appear in the wiki are in adventurer mod too.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 15, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »

haha, pro.

Getting into Hell is unpossible, unless you've already got a fortress that has breached it. In which case, there will be demons let loose about the fortress, and you'll be damn lucky to get very far down.

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:10 pm »

Wow, that was fast. I guess lack of armor DOES matter :) I had very hard time finding any, tho..I found lots of leather armor and stuff but couldn't wear any, maybe because they were all human sizes or something?
No creature can wear armor or clothing marked as 'large' or 'small'.
For a dwarf the best source of armor are goblins (same size as dwarf, mostly breastplates and helms, but lots of iron stuff) and nightcreatures lairs (mostly gauntlets and boots).
I read somewhere that you can mod the game so that dwarves and elves have settelments too. They'll look like human villages, but at least you can buy armour of appropriate size.

If fighting dragons, GET AN IRON OR STEEL SHIELD somehow. I don't care how, but you need one, otherwise you get an arm covered in molten bronze, and then killed.
Iron shields are everywhere. Every second goblin has one.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »

haha, pro.

Getting into Hell is unpossible, unless you've already got a fortress that has breached it. In which case, there will be demons let loose about the fortress, and you'll be damn lucky to get very far down.

Are the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
gone then?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 15, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

Most likely not, but I haven't found any yet, mostly because I don't go underground much. You can't rely on finding one for all your hellish needs, really, since they're so rare. The quickest way to the center of Fun would be to embark with 7 miners and go nuts.

Also, Titan are often disappointing, ones made from mud or similar stuff especially so. They fall to pieces so quickly if you have an axe or sword.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 15, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

I have never found one. Quesa was in the 3rd layer underground for quite some time, but the glitch faeries found her and brought her back to the surface.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 15, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »

dragon caves are absolutly minted, If my experience is representative you will find multiple piles of 400 gold coins
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #403 on: November 15, 2010, 06:18:26 pm »

How hard is it to find 'large' iron armor pieces ? I didn't have much trouble to find iron armor for a dwarf (except for legwear and mails).
I assume steel is out of reach right now. Not to mention adamantine.
My steel-armored dwarf says no. Steel can be found if you look long enough. I have steel gauntlets, -high boots-, +helmet+, a steel battle axe, a steel shield, and a +bronze breastplate+ over an -iron mail shirt-. And of course beneath his armor he has on a full suit of giant cave spider silk clothing.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 15, 2010, 06:34:58 pm »

How hard is it to find 'large' iron armor pieces ? I didn't have much trouble to find iron armor for a dwarf (except for legwear and mails).
I assume steel is out of reach right now. Not to mention adamantine.
My steel-armored dwarf says no. Steel can be found if you look long enough. I have steel gauntlets, -high boots-, +helmet+, a steel battle axe, a steel shield, and a +bronze breastplate+ over an -iron mail shirt-. And of course beneath his armor he has on a full suit of giant cave spider silk clothing.

Ah. I think only dwarf armour comes in Steel.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28