Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32322 times)

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #375 on: November 15, 2010, 12:43:20 pm »

Well this new adventure mode is all kinds of fun. Very nice.

My first adventurer was a human swordsman. He was quite good at mangling bandits and consorts of various kinds with his bronze two-handed sword. I recruited a woodcutter and a hunter from the starting village. They both had flashing icons after I recruited them, does that still signify legendary status? In any case the woodcutter in particular was brutal, amputating a limb with every hit. None of us had any armor, but that didn't slow us down all that much...

..Until a group of bandits ambushed us. They were led by a legendary (or flashing, at the least) captain with a scimitar. I sliced both of his legs off and left him to bleed to death while concentrating on the other bandits. Well that was a mistake, since quite soon I saw the Crawling Captain bash my uber-woodcutter in the head with the pommel of his scimitar, driving the skull through the brain (RIP woodcutter). I went back to the captain to finish him off, but couldn't land a single blow. A couple of rounds later I had no legs or arms left. I managed to crawl away and flee.

The hunter was still with me, and single-handedly beat off a pack of wolves while I crawled away again. He only got a single scar from being surrounded by ravenous wolves for a few dozen turns, so it seems that wolves don't have much of a chance against anyone with a rope reed shirt on. I then crawled to the nearest village and retired as a quadruple amputee hero.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:43 pm »

My character Viidykus Rammached the divine morning of sacrificing just died, he was taken by surprise while asleep by a kobold ambush, they easily chopped one of his foot while he was still sleeping and he woke up in pain and tried fighting but he was slow and couldn't stand up, he finally got shot in the head by an arrow regardless of his bronze helm and cap, the arrow pierced through (I guess). Damn i killed titans at least, i was trying to make a museum of titan heads in a castle by aligning heads * He kept fainting because of his missing foot i kinda like how we can be ambushed while sleeping, makes resting in guarded places make sense

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:35:28 pm by Bronimin »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 15, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »

THere doesn't seem to be a shop bug i think it's a misconfusion, sometimes i realise i stole an item by mistake cause i picked it up and forgot to pay for it then i think it's a bug, i check out inventory and see $$ oshit not bug xD

Nope, it's a bug. I paid for an entire shops worth of ammunition, getting every single one on the trade screen, then picked up all the arrows, only to find no one will talk to me, and that I can't Fast Travel or Rest.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 15, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »

Damn that sucks, a thing i do when trading is to pick up the item first before speaking to trader and buying it though

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »

Anybody played as a peasant yet ? I can't get any quest. Everybody says they don't have anything for me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:30 pm »

I played pretty much only as peasant, and I was given plenty of quest. it may just be an unfortunate worldgen.

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

Maybe I need a new world then, cause i already played few adventurers on this one. Maybe they've run out of quests :P

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 15, 2010, 03:18:56 pm »

Anybody played as a peasant yet ? I can't get any quest. Everybody says they don't have anything for me.

Picking peasant/hero/demigod has no effect but the amount of points you have to spend on attributes. They just don't have anyone they're after.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:56 pm »

My second, most successful adventurer, has died. Kem Borecraft the Labyrinthine Steam, legendary hero of at least three civilizations, has fallen to a goblin's warhammer blow to the head. He and his party of fifteen followers have been ambushed at night, and many of them were killed in their sleep before they could properly defend themselves. Kem fought off the first onset of attackers, saw the hopelesness of the situation, and tried to escape into the darkness. Unfortunately, a hammergoblin and a swordgoblin gave chase. With only one working hand, Kem slew the swordgoblin, but a blow to the head knocked him unconscious, and then another blow ended his life. None of Kem's companions survived.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #385 on: November 15, 2010, 04:30:46 pm »

I tried a few times as peasant, not having much success except maybe the first quest. Then I tried switching to an Axedwarf instead of a Swordsman, and it went better, I killed two goblin chiefs on my own, and then got to a fortress just before nightfall. I reported my success and went to bed.

In the middle of the night, I got woken up in the night by about 5 or 6 bogeymen. A single swordsman was the only one around for some reason, and he quickly died. I killed 3 or 4 of them and the last two were starting to beat me up pretty bad. I got a bruised heart and wasn't hitting them much. I think I broke both of the legs of one, but it didn't seem to faze it. Finally, the sun came up and they turned to smoke. I took a single step away to see what all those lazy guards were doing while I was under attack when I suffocated. D:

I don't think that Bogeymen have any business being in fortresses.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 15, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

I tried a few times as peasant, not having much success except maybe the first quest. Then I tried switching to an Axedwarf instead of a Swordsman, and it went better, I killed two goblin chiefs on my own, and then got to a fortress just before nightfall. I reported my success and went to bed.

In the middle of the night, I got woken up in the night by about 5 or 6 bogeymen. A single swordsman was the only one around for some reason, and he quickly died. I killed 3 or 4 of them and the last two were starting to beat me up pretty bad. I got a bruised heart and wasn't hitting them much. I think I broke both of the legs of one, but it didn't seem to faze it. Finally, the sun came up and they turned to smoke. I took a single step away to see what all those lazy guards were doing while I was under attack when I suffocated. D:

I don't think that Bogeymen have any business being in fortresses.

If you sleep in the keep, they don't show up.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 15, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »

Wow, adventure mode can be fun! I've only played fortress mode this far..

..my "Hero" Axedwarf met a night creature and killed him solo, gained a couple of followers, proceeded to kill bandits, more bandits, even more bandits, then a glooman (or something like that) cave with THREE night creatures, ALL went down! The villages stopped having quests for me, and so I was directed to a local leader who would have a challenge for me! I'd have to kill a might ettin!

After a long, long combat the ettin succumbed to his wounds caused by me and my 4 companions. I returned victorious, and I was tasked with killing the might dragon! I start going towards the creatures lair, when my vision suddenly drops to minimal. It's day, so only reason might be a...blizzard or something? Anyway, I walk around almost blindly and I find the dragons lair, I peek inside an--

DRAGONBREATH -> pieces of armor melt away
DRAGON LATCHES ON, RIPS HAND OFF
SLASH TO MY CHEST
I try to desperately fight bac--
DRAGON LATCHES ON, RIPS LEG OFF
SLASH TO CHEST
SLASH TO HEAD
"You are dead"

Wow, that was fast. I guess lack of armor DOES matter :) I had very hard time finding any, tho..I found lots of leather armor and stuff but couldn't wear any, maybe because they were all human sizes or something?
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 15, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »

What mattered there was not only lack of armor, but lack of shield. You can try to block fire with your shield like a badass also watch out for hot stuff on the ground like boiling blood

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 15, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »

Yeah it was probably the shield thing, but at the moment you only got human sized armor unless you make a fortress and makes lots of armor, then abandon,  I still need to make the trader dwarves civ for a new world that have human-style towns/farming so that you can get  Armor for Body 60000 urist,  not sure if they calculate in width/girth of an individual for the armor
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28