Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32401 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #345 on: November 14, 2010, 02:27:13 pm »

Now that spines are in correctly, I wonder when we'll be able to break necks.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 14, 2010, 02:31:51 pm »

We already can. Well, we can't exactly target them yet, but I do believe kinetic impacts can already pass force down the part tree to injure relevant items:
You punch The Elf Crossbowman in the head with your right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the upper spine's bone!
My earlier experiments with making the neck a snappable joint like the elbows and knees were unsuccessful, but I think it's still very much possible to do with a mod.

edit: it seems currently, just adding [JOINT] to the neck bodypart raws will simulate the neck snapping sufficiently adequately. Meaning that the target will, as before, drop to the ground and rapidly suffocate. Unfortunately, there is no total control of motor functions, even if all held items are dropped.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:17:39 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:54 pm »

Woot! Murdered some people in a human fortress, ran the hell away, jumped into a river and started swimming, and I ended up getting metphorically gang-raped by fish.

Seriously, they came out of nowhere. I was just swimming, and then TONS OF FISH. And they ripped off both of my legs and and one of my arms; kind of impressive, considering I was legendary in all skills and was Superhuman is all stats.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 14, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

Jumped into a river to combat carp. A sturgeon tore my feet off.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 14, 2010, 04:15:00 pm »

Woot! Murdered some people in a human fortress, ran the hell away, jumped into a river and started swimming, and I ended up getting metphorically gang-raped by fish.

Seriously, they came out of nowhere. I was just swimming, and then TONS OF FISH. And they ripped off both of my legs and and one of my arms; kind of impressive, considering I was legendary in all skills and was Superhuman is all stats.
Jumped into a river to combat carp. A sturgeon tore my feet off.
Oh god. It's happening again!

THE STURGEON MASTERS HAVE RETURNED TO SEIZE OUR WORLD AFTER THE CARP WERE DEFEATED! TOADY, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

thisisnthappeningthiscantbehappeningthefisharebackohgodohgodnothingcansaveusnowweredoomedforeveraaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2010, 05:10:21 pm »

Moral of the story: Insta-freezing water sources are both your nemesis and greatest ally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »

MY only gripe is that broken bones cause WAAAAAAAY too much pain.
I don't recall getting any bones broken, but it seems that goblins and humans are much more pain resistant. I regularly broke bones with my silver morningstar, but they never pass out before I kill them in some other way (headshot mostly ;)).

I've had plenty of headshots where the person on the receiving end wasn't insta-killed, it really depends on the skill and attributes of the person doing to beat down.

Get hit in the head will mess you up, though, as it should.
I agree. Not all of my headshots were lethal. Even stabbing in the head with a sword doesn't always work. In addition helmets offer a pretty good protection even if the enemy is unconscious. So headshots are cool but not overpowered.

One of my allies (who is a peasent) got STABED IN THE HEART and is still alive.
I think that unless a you open a 'major artery', heart damage is not so lethal. Maybe heart should be a little more fragile.

I've had several instances of kicks to the head ending up as grazing scratches, I can only presume with toenails. Unless you've buffed your strength to max and/or are going against much weaker creatures like elves or kobolds, you won't have guaranteed kills from a strike to the head.

I do concur that strangling followed by coup de grace is a bit overpowered at the moment, but it is very much fun, and is still not much easier to perform (the strangling part, that is) than it was a few versions ago.
First: You're right about the kicks in the head, not so dangerous. I think it would be nice if kicks, punches and blunt strikes to the head could knock the enemy unconscious.

Secondly: You know what's more fun than coup de grace ? Try sneaking into a fortress after nightfall and killing everyone in their sleep ! I recommend headshots and slashing throats. :) They'll never know what hit'em !

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »

I think i smacked a kobold in head and it stunned him but i guess that's not considered unconscious

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »

Always a start ;)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »

On the non-lethal headshots topic, one of the goblins my adventurers fought had a darn spear sticking out of his head and fought on for minutes in real-time. He also had a sword in his upper arm, another spear in his chest and a halberd in his left arm.

And oh god the fish... they are deadly. I stopped going near rivers at all because my awesome adventurers that oneshotted the toughest creatures were getting eaten by lampreys and such. Now that we don't need to eat or drink temporarily, I can allow myself to steer clear.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:40 pm »

I think that unless a you open a 'major artery', heart damage is not so lethal. Maybe heart should be a little more fragile.
I've had a night hag keep fighting me even with a 'her heart is broken' wound on the description. This was after TWO (2!) stabs with a spear which each claimed to be 'tearing' the heart.

I agree that it should be slightly more deadly to be hit in the heart. I also thing that bruising the guts is a bit overpowered. I bruised a human's guts with a punch and he began vomiting so copiously and violently that he could not even stand, let alone fight. While seeing the pool of vomit was hilarious, it felt a bit cheap.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2010, 08:52:58 pm »

I've had a night hag keep fighting me even with a 'her heart is broken' wound on the description.
Talk about an achy breaky heart.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2010, 10:30:23 pm »

I have to admit that I do somewhat like the fact that some night creatures can survive such horrific injuries though. I just with the 'normal' critters couldn't. Goblins should not survive AND CONTINUE TO FIGHT with both legs missing and their spine severed.

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 15, 2010, 07:19:40 am »

Did anyone else notice heroic titles now use proper words?  You don't get stuff like "the baby of whales" anymore.
You mean like: Kumil Metalpack, the 'Creative Gloved Directions' ?

Cause that's what my last guy got.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 15, 2010, 07:27:40 am »

I got... The Muscular Chasms.
Kandarl Beastsmears The Muscular Chasms was an axe-wielding demigod hero, who battled tirelessly against vicious bandit groups The Taut Sacks, The Dabbling Scrapes, and The Touches Of Fire.
...I love the name/title generator!! :D I'm not being sarcastic, it's really one of the main things that makes the game great!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28