Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32416 times)

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2010, 03:54:52 am »

I just chopped two bogeymen in half, cut one's leg off then chopped him in the gut and head, then chopped another one into bits before daybreak. It was fun. I wonder what'll happen to the bogeyman head I grabbed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:13 am »

They poof into smoke come day

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2010, 03:59:18 am »

Lol wo cool my boogeymen were humanoid creatures with wings and one eye only o.O

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2010, 03:59:47 am »

I don't know, my most favorite - and most effective, most of the time - attack is a straight stab through the upper body, or slash at the lower body. These succeed in more cases than a headshot, and cause both significant damage and significant pain to the target. Rarely, I go for extremities as well, should the opportunity arise on a tough opponent.

I find it very tense and varied. sometimes I slash the lover body exposing the guts, then attack the gut until they give in pain. other time they have  some armor piece nagging me, so I hack their leg until they fall and then bash their head until unconscious. it all seems more dynamic and tense. combat take lot more time, but considerably less turns overall.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2010, 04:00:50 am »

COmbat is much cooler in this version than before this reminds me of fallout vats in a way

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #320 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:54 am »

It helps a lot if you look at their equipment and aim for body parts with less armor.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 14, 2010, 04:16:02 am »

And sometimes you counter a kobold ambush by biting them in the throat and shaking them around until their throat is ripped out.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 14, 2010, 04:21:18 am »

darius new DfFusion has made playing adventure mode better now when you can swap to random people and back.
Combine this with the companions and now we can equip them with loot and use them for scouting.
Still one would have fun body swapping to a king and having him off his queen and get banished from his kingdom leading to a uproar.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2010, 06:05:08 am »

So far, I've found that a Hydra's first head is the only one that will kill it if severed, the others only removing an attack vector and causing heavy bleeding. Granted, the mythological Hydra's first head was the invunerable one, but I doubt Toady is referencing that and this is just a bug.
I have to disagree. I fought a hydra yesterday and I had to tear all seven brains to struck it down. After some rounds I checked it's status and it said that 5/7 brains were torn, so I aimed at the remaining two. Once I stabbed it  in the last head it went down immediately. But in the future I'd like to see a hydra being able to attack 7 warriors at once (one with each head) while still moving around at regular speed.

Goblins are annoying me because they all wear helmets, and it's hard to stab them in the head. Even when they're unconsious.

Once they go unconscious, I just drop my shield and take their helmet off.  Then I kick goblins in faces.  While insta-death head injuries are a little too easy this release, drop kicking a guy's nose out the back of his brain makes an awesome finishing move.
I tried that but if you had many goblins around you it's unwise to drop your shield. I found out that slashing throats is almost as effective as headshots. No armor can protect the throat, and it causes them to bleed out in like 2-3 turns.

But...is that just me or i can only find bronze stuff around the world...only bronze...nothing else
Bronze has gotten a lot more common that iron, but you can still find both, and copper too.  The thing is, with the new material definitions, bronze is arguably a better material than iron (which has some historical precedent, but it's kinda six of one, half dozen of the other), so most troops wind up with bronze stuff.  Steel of course is still the exclusive domain of dwarves, who are almost non-existent in Adventure mode.

About the bronze. I had no trouble finding iron armor. Goblins in my world wear mostly iron (rarely copper) breastplates and helmets. And I found a few boots and gauntlets in nightcreatures lairs (still no greaves or anything like that). In real world bronze is actually better than iron, but iron was far more common, hence the Iron Age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze#History). Toady made bronze a little better than iron lately, which is good, but i think that humans should mostly use iron equipment (if we go for historical 'accuracy').

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 14, 2010, 06:53:34 am »

My current insanely baddass adventurer seems to be in dire straits, coughing up blood, nauseous all the time.

Him and his band of crazies have killed a lot of things, starting with two entire Midnight Troll families, and there is probably nothing that is a real threat to them.

So far, we've brought down a few titans:
A hideous pigeon-monster with a square shell, who could fire fireballs. This one the first, and was damn hard. A couple of the baddasses got killed, but the remainder were fairly unharmed. Ended when one of the archers shot it through the head.
A giant rhino, with massive green scales. This guy seemed to like removing feet, and is the reason my macemen crawl everywhere now.
A three-eyed, clumsy, giant spider with a spiral shell. This is who claimed my Adventurers swordarm, paralyzing it with it's venom. He still fights, just without a shield.

A quadruped made of mud. This dude went down like a bitch. Any attack severed a bodypart, even if it was "can't quite connect". It took 3 turns for one of my men to get a shot at his face.

A Dragon.
This was... quick. Dropping into his hole prompted a blast of dragonfire, which was blocked by my looted iron shield, and I scrabbled out of the hole. The dragon followed, got surrounded, went down fast.

Two hydras.
Both fights went similarly. Frantic stabbing at the heads, crippling the legs as we beat on them, keeping them KO until they ran out of blood.

A couple of Cyclopes.
One of these was fun, as I got to rip out it's eye with my bare hands. The other was just a slightly longer normal combat as we hacked at it until someone stabbed it through the face.

Sadly though, my adventurer seems to be on his last legs. His adventuring life has caught up to him, he's vomiting all the time, gets tired fast. Still a baddass, but right now trying to find somewhere he can retire. He can't go to his home civ, because of that shop bug.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 14, 2010, 07:11:51 am »

and there is probably nothing that is a real threat to them.
I had the same idea when I was ambushed by 50+ goblins with an axelord :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 14, 2010, 07:17:54 am »

and there is probably nothing that is a real threat to them.
I had the same idea when I was ambushed by 50+ goblins with an axelord :).

Oh, we ran into something like that already, only with elves. I didn't mention it because nothing interesting happened besides a series of one-shot-kills as I hacked my way through to the leader, where I removed his eyes before returning to the rest of the fight.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:41 am »

Elves? Wooden gear? Wooden weapons? Pfft.

When you encounter a goblin axelord with a mastercraft battle axe who is surrounded by a dozen of his minions who take shots while he insta-kills all your pary memebers one at a time, and you are swarmed after a few turns because all your guys are decapitated, it's another thing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 14, 2010, 07:22:54 am »

Finally reached the human capital after being recommended to the lord, and accepted a quest to kill a cyclops. I embarked towards the lair with my 3 companions. 2 died to warthogs, though the last I managed to save before he died. I wandered around trying to find the entrance to the cave, and after searching for a long time around the area I was pointed to I encountered Cheetahs. They killed my companion and I killed a few of them, and then there were Lions.
I gave them my all, but there were at least 10 lions.. Many fell to my axe, though I crawled away with many following me. Eventually I was surrounded and killed, never having found the cursed entrance to the Cyclops' lair.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 14, 2010, 07:33:18 am »

Hahaha.

Never got home. Protip: Don't walk on ice, EVER.

Stupid daybreak.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28