Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32403 times)

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »

Does anyone think strangling is a little TOO powerful this release? Because every single thing I've fought, with the exception of night creatures, falls unconscious after a single round of strangling. Even powerful or skillful enemies like warlords, bandits, Chieftains and overlords all pass out after just a single round of it. And of course, once they are passed out, you can instakill them pretty much any way you want. This means you can easily kill a person in just 4 rounds of combat.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2010, 09:53:39 pm »

I think that's dependent on your strength stat. Try using a character with minimum strength and see if strangling is as effective.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2010, 09:55:02 pm »

Goblins are annoying me because they all wear helmets, and it's hard to stab them in the head. Even when they're unconsious.

Once they go unconscious, I just drop my shield and take their helmet off.  Then I kick goblins in faces.  While insta-death head injuries are a little too easy this release, drop kicking a guy's nose out the back of his brain makes an awesome finishing move.

But...is that just me or i can only find bronze stuff around the world...only bronze...nothing else

Bronze has gotten a lot more common that iron, but you can still find both, and copper too.  The thing is, with the new material definitions, bronze is arguably a better material than iron (which has some historical precedent, but it's kinda six of one, half dozen of the other), so most troops wind up with bronze stuff.  Steel of course is still the exclusive domain of dwarves, who are almost non-existent in Adventure mode.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »

Word, I'm all about the curb stomp.

I do think the combat feels a little less dynamic now, in that a lot of the time it's just an exchange of blows until one person gets too badly injured to continue or a headshot opportunity comes up.  I think head injuries result in instant death like 8/10 times for me.  Oh well, I'm sure that'll get better as more combat options show up and things get fleshed out.

Also, hydras apparently still can't use their heads properly.  Last game my warband fought a hydra, and after like 15 or 20 rounds with no severed heads my spearman hit one of its heads in the brain and instakilled it.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2010, 10:02:47 pm »

So far, I've found that a Hydra's first head is the only one that will kill it if severed, the others only removing an attack vector and causing heavy bleeding. Granted, the mythological Hydra's first head was the invunerable one, but I doubt Toady is referencing that and this is just a bug.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »

Yeah... as a spearman, I generally just stab people until I can get a clear shot at their head, then whack them with the butt of it.  Sends their skull through the brain or smashes the brain most of the time.

As a swordsman, it's similar (only you're going for smashed brain and decapitation instead).  Do as much as you can to make them do less damage to you until you can get a good headshot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:57 am »

I don't know, my most favorite - and most effective, most of the time - attack is a straight stab through the upper body, or slash at the lower body. These succeed in more cases than a headshot, and cause both significant damage and significant pain to the target. Rarely, I go for extremities as well, should the opportunity arise on a tough opponent.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #307 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:10 am »

Against a dangerous opponent, I mostly attempt to disarm them first, whether this means slashing their arm and severing motor nerves or actually dis-arming them by hacking their entire arm off. After that I usually go for upper body shots hoping for a lung or heart strike, unless a good opening shows up. Once I got a combat opportunity to bite the guy's eye... that was both effective and disgusting.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 14, 2010, 03:11:38 am »

Okay, in an effort to stave off the bogeymen, I brought friends when I went after some outlaws. We travel hard for a couple days, no sign of the dirty little creatures, and I sigh with relief. Seeing that my character is "Tired", I camp just short of the outlaw camp and sleep for the night, and see my friends do the same.

I wake up the next morning and they are gone.

I travel the one square to the outlaw camp, cave a man's head in with my shield, get a guy in an headlock and punch a hole in his face, and go after the last one and stab him in the head. After a long (and quite fun!) battle I finally begin my triumphant return to the village.

I camp.

Seven bogeymen.

GODDAMNIT.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #309 on: November 14, 2010, 03:15:40 am »

I was just surrounded by bogeymen. The ones in my world are strange plant creatures with fleshy wings and trunks. I wasn't doing well, they were biting me and clawing me.

Then my dwarf went into a martial trance and three of them died quickly.

Then I went into a rage (?) and the rest died one after another, and the cackling faded.

Huzzah!

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 14, 2010, 03:19:27 am »

I want to be the very best, like no one ever was. How would i go about becoming a master monk?

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2010, 03:23:20 am »

I was just surrounded by bogeymen. The ones in my world are strange plant creatures with fleshy wings and trunks. I wasn't doing well, they were biting me and clawing me.

Then my dwarf went into a martial trance and three of them died quickly.

Then I went into a rage (?) and the rest died one after another, and the cackling faded.

Huzzah!

Huh, I didn't know the bogeymen had random genned appearances. I might have to make a character just to find out how mine look.

Edit: They look like "Small skinless humanoids with two hanging tails."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:33:09 am by Kay »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2010, 03:33:03 am »

Hey it happened again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This guy is awesome.

I need not fear the night!

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 14, 2010, 03:47:46 am »

I made an agile axeman myself, actually. Currently managed to fend off (and kill two of) my skinless two-tailed bogeymen attackers. Of the remaining three, one is on the ground bleeding out, one is stunned, and one is trying to bit my shoulder off.

"Dawn is breaking"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:40 am »

I just killed one bogeyman with the severed arm of another bogeyman. Is that dwarfy enough?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28