Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32313 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2010, 12:06:40 pm »

Honestly, can anyone tell me why my aimed strikes are so ineffective?  As long as I just bash into creatures like the old versions, I can slay things easily, but the aimed strike menu just gives me a lot of tricky/solid strikes that consistently miss...
Certain creatures have really good dodge, like bandit leaders and minotaurs etc. Also, weapon skill isn't the only thing that factors into how well you aim. Take a look at the "Your first adventurer" guide in the help menu and it will explain the other stats

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:35 pm »

You strike Goblin Axeman in the upper left arm and the severed part sails away in an arc!
Hooray!
You strike Goblin Axeman in the upper right arm and the severed part sails away in an arc!
Awesome!
You strike Goblin Axeman in the upper left leg and the severed part sails away in an arc!
Come on, a little left!...
The Goblin Axeman has bled to death.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »

It's easier to do on humans. They seem to last a bit longer.

Just a flesh wound, after all.

EDIT: If you find the aim menu is giving you tricky shots, exit the menu and attack normally. I suppose aimed strikes are harder to do than normal ones at a low difficulty?

Also, the difficulty raises if the other person has a high dodge, as Piecewise said. Unsquare shots doesn't mean it won't do any damage.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:32:17 pm by OzyTheSage »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2010, 01:21:10 pm »

it is easyer on bigger monsters thay seam to have more blood
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »

Encountered a few oddities so far. It appears the old "retiring in hostile site makes owning civ neutral" bug is still there... and as it's possible to retire whenever you're within site sprawl, I coincidentally found the simplest remedy for a bogeyman pack - simply jacking out and back in again (yes, in the middle of the fight).

I then walk right into a hostile (modded) civ's largest fortress, past the guards, right into the ruler's chamber, and find that they've somehow managed to take a demon prisoner, who, when asked about the surrounding lands, replied "Ask me when I've returned to my home!". Quite.

Edit: Haha, naturally it joined me as soon as I asked and I now have a Skinless Fiend following me around.

Edit: It just gets better and better.

Edit: There's more. Walking into the fiend results in me attacking it as if it were an enemy, but this just makes it go neutral. However, it retains the fetching green of a friendly demon. From thereon it's no long considered a prisoner and reverts to its default occupation (as a Skinless Fiend). Walking into it again auto-attacked it, making it taunt me, but it remained neutral.

Continuing to attack it results in it spitting vapour at me but no other consequences. In fact, what I think's going on is that it's going hostile for a moment and reverting to neutral for some reason. I'll do a bug search.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:54:24 pm by 3 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2010, 01:55:13 pm »

My first adventurer finally died when my party got ambushed by something like 60 goblins. I managed to outright kill a handful and horribly maim a lot more, but eventually I got tired and an arrow took out my one remaining eye. I got knocked down, dragged myself up, got a sword in the belly but managed to hold onto it and strangle the bastard that stabbed me before two spearman impaled me and a swordsman decapitated me as I was strangling one of the spearmen.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »

Hm, humans seem to be indeed more tough.

Hooray for aiming!

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:14 pm »

"Come back here, IŽll bite your legs off"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »

They're not phantom! They're right over there on the ground! It's just... he can't clean the blood off them.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:54 pm »

Honestly, can anyone tell me why my aimed strikes are so ineffective?  As long as I just bash into creatures like the old versions, I can slay things easily, but the aimed strike menu just gives me a lot of tricky/solid strikes that consistently miss...
Oh my I ended up having 2 fights end up being my dump bronze had to PUSH foes over to do damage because he can't Aim for their heads.
Well when you think on it that makes sense with the fact it's like trying to swat a fly with a pinky.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »

Technically, the standard attacks still are aimed, it's just that they're selected automatically based on some algorithm weighing chance of hitting and damaged done (same thing non-player units do).

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:39 pm »

Monk characters are indeed awesome. I went through an elven retreat all sneaky like, then jump-kicked the head elf in the face.

This was with a really experienced char, so very, very good at kicking (So many bandits have been one-two-face kicked.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Apollyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

I rolled up a Peasant-power human swordsman. Actually, he was just Competent with swords and had a few skills at dodge, armor use and shield use.

It started out pretty good, I was immediatly tasked to kill a few bandit leaders. Some were human, some were goblins. But almost all of them, except a Hammerer, were crossbowmans/bowmans. I went solo.

The first guy fell pretty easily. I managed to cut his bow wielding arm enough for him to drop the bow. Than I smashed my shield into his face and he fell over. Than I pretty much hacked him to pieces before his friends show up. And die.

Same story for the other guys.

I ran into some boogymans who gave me a little bit of trouble but died too.

Here is a tip: Never, ever, fight if you're drowsy. I will tell you why.

I went to a castle and got some high profile jobs. Can't exactly remember what the lady asked me to do, but the part I do remember is that she sent me after a Brush Titan. Or was it Bush Titan? I doubt it was the presidential kind. (Pun intended).

Me and some of my companions fought for like... half an hour. He managed to kill some of my 'legendary' units. A spearman and a axeman. It took a long time to kill him mostly because I think his scales were uber and my sword was made of bronze.

I went back to report the death (This was really far from the castle) and I became a legendary hero.
When I talked to people they were dumbstruck and went like 'A legend? Here?' really cool.

Than I went to kill the Dragon which was the last Megabeast around. I wanted to see if after that they'll send me off to kill Forgotten Beasts. But I got cocky, and I didn't rest at all. I took care of goblin ambushes easily earlier, when I was well rested. But I didn't stop traveling for two entire days and thought of sleeping in front of the Dragon's lair, figuring I had enough followers for no one to bother me.

.. Wrong.

The goblins immediatly shot and killed my legendary axeman ( The one that survived the titan) I killed a goblin crossbowman. I killed another one. I than dodged into a frozen river. And I could've escaped. But I found a ramp, climbed up there, fought a few more goblins and found that I couldn't win, as now they had both my lung and my heart bruised. So I fled.

Than I ran into boogymans, and considering how easily I dispatched the earlier group I stood my ground and fought them. Than they pretty much killed me.

Lesson learned. Never fight when drowsy. Still haven't figured out what comes after Megabeasts.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2010, 04:04:58 pm »

I keep suffocating while fighting the Bogeymen. I'm too strong for them to inflict tears, but they keep brusing my vital organs into uselessness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2010, 04:16:00 pm »

I just killed a Dark Creature Consort that was the lord of my civ when he was human.  No loyalty problems occurred, thankfully.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28