Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32411 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »

I had an interesting Adventure mode for my first game. Played as a human axeman peasant. Ran around, killing groundhogs and maraques, and selling thier body parts to a store in the north.

Eventually, I feel that this isn't profitable enough, so I go and finish off one of my quests. Kill a goblin bowman.

It was an interesting fight. I lost both my companions, and had to do it solo. However, after being spotted, the bowman ordered his ENTIRE consort to attack me. I ducked behind a tree, and sneaked around. His army was stuck, looking for me in the shrubbery.

Meanwhile, I was sneaking up to the bowman from behind a tree. I lunge at him, axe held high, and attack. He dodged for a good ten rounds of combat, before I bullrushed him, knocking him to the ground. Then ... I hacked at his upper body for another 20 rounds, while he tried to stand up or scramble away. He died, and I killed one of his followers, and stole the followers clothing. (I couldn't steal the bowmans clothing, because one of his bowman guards was trying to shoot me too.

So... sweet. I scored a ton of clothing, and a nifty crossbow! I get three followers from the castle, find another quest, and fast travel to the stores in the north...

Some time between getting the quest, and arriving at the store, I must have done something TERRIBLE, because no-one in the entire nation wanted to talk to me. I had a hunch it was because I had an outstanding quest, so I travelled to the goblin lasher to kill him

I had three companions (but lost another one), and I saw the lasher. We fought in glorious battle... until I tried to fight.

My part of the battle report went like this:

You strike at the Goblin Commander, but the attack is parried.
You strike at the Goblin Commander, but the attack is parried.
You strike at the Goblin Commander, but the attack is parried
The Goblin Commander Counterstrikes!!
The commander kicks you in the third finger, right hand, with his left foot, shattering the bone through the rope reed fibre glove
The lasher [compainion] misses the commander [The only hit he scored on me]
You give into pain
You fall over
The commander lashes you in the skull with his copper scourge, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull, and bruising the brain.
You have been struck down.

The commander KICKED me in the hand, and I passed out from that (WTF!?), and the commander coup-de-graced me :(

What an unheroic end for a budding demi-god peasant. It was VERY fun though!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2010, 10:19:35 pm »

Aimed attacks rock, I decapitated around 10 kobolds in a row (after I injured them enough), already chopped all the fingers/nose/ears from a Cyclops...oh God it's just awesome
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »

Am I doing something wrong? My charactors pass out in pain after getting the tiniest of scratches.

My peasant passed out from being kicked in the hand. My demigod (O.o) passed out after being shot by a bow twice. Ironically, even though I was unconcious, the person who knocked me out fought for over 1,000 rounds before FINALLY killing me by suffocation

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »

Am I doing something wrong? My charactors pass out in pain after getting the tiniest of scratches.

My peasant passed out from being kicked in the hand. My demigod (O.o) passed out after being shot by a bow twice. Ironically, even though I was unconcious, the person who knocked me out fought for over 1,000 rounds before FINALLY killing me by suffocation

The Willpower and Toughness attributes are the ones you need to have points in to avoid passing out from extreme cases of wussiness.

Note: Stealth is awesome. So is getting wild animals to fight off the Bogeymen for you.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:42:54 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »

So is getting wild animals to fight off the Bogeymen for you.
Waiting for a camel herd to pass through the bandit camp was the only way i could kill THAT FUKKEN LASHER who was with 2 ranged buddies and a hammer man.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

GalileoMateo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »

ADVENTURE MODE IS so SICK. i really was a fotress mode guy until i saw the new feature list, and in the anticipation of the release started playing 31.12's adv mode.  i was having lots of trouble and not too much fun, but somehow once .17 comes out its the most FUN ever~!! in both senses :D

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »

I feel this mode is more fun, but considering most shots are impossible, I choose to aim less.

There's still the problem of being attacked if I sleep in Hamlets as a Kobold (and only if I sleep), and the fact there are no Kobold civs in any worlds I gen (I can become one in A human civ though).
(I need to figure out sizes, as all armour I find is large...)

So much FUN!

Everybody!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble with shops? I sold some stuff, picked up my money, and now nobody will talk to me.
Is it because I sold them human meat? I got it from a nice Hydra, I didn't make it myself!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 11:13:35 pm »

Has anybody ran into hostile human fortresses? I've played like 10 characters now and whenever I enter a fortress it is deserted. After a few minutes of poking around, a few wrestlers come from nowhere and attack me on sight. In fact the only fortress I've been in that wasn't like this was the Civ's Capital.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:31 pm »

Has anybody ran into hostile human fortresses? I've played like 10 characters now and whenever I enter a fortress it is deserted. After a few minutes of poking around, a few wrestlers come from nowhere and attack me on sight. In fact the only fortress I've been in that wasn't like this was the Civ's Capital.

I haven't found any fortresses like that. Did you kill someone they liked?
[/quote]

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 11:25:18 pm »

Well this was my first long-lived hero, she and her band of mercenaries (18 in total) were traveling to an Elven bandit camp. They rested in the woods and were ambushed by so many Kobold. It was awesome, all of a sudden a whole bunch of K's popped up! 7 mercenaries died and eventually the party defeated all of the kobolds. That was a really fun battle.

The party stopped by a castle to enlist some of the locals and continued to the elven camp.

It was all going great, the bandit commander had been killed and it was time to clean up the weaker followers..

My character headed to an Elven swordsman, I believe, and he tried to attack. Of course my character then dodges.. off a cliff. Gets badly beaten from the fall and it turns out a spearelf was waiting there. The spear elf goes berserk and my defenseless character gets skewered to death.

After that camp raid they were going to go and take on a dragon but it wasn't meant to be evidently.

So I just generated a demi-god and am trying to find some quests.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 11:27:02 pm »

Maybe your char's Civ is at war with that human Civ? I don't know..

I'm trying to find my Mountain Homes, are they working?
There's two of them on my world , but there's nothing on the sites.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

frogman95

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 11:29:44 pm »

Both times so far that I've played Adventure Mode in 31.17, I've been killed by Alligators.  I've never had problems with them before, but now every time I get to a river it's like "Oh hey it's an alligator gah it's biting of my skull".

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 11:42:15 pm »

Maybe your char's Civ is at war with that human Civ? I don't know..
I haven't found any fortresses like that. Did you kill someone they liked?
It has been happening across all of my Chars. I don't recall killing anybody before it happens. I've been doing this all within one Civ across multiple characters, and all of the Civ's forts are like this except for two (of course I haven't visited all of them yet).

Trying a different Civ spawn, brb.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

JosephPowers

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 11:52:04 pm »

The new adventure mode is amazing.
Every battle seems epic with the aimed attack.
My favorite adventurer died by getting shot by an archer.. he fell backwards off a cliff into water and drowned. it was so lame.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28