Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32315 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »

While on the travel map, the sun moving across the sky at the top of the screen is a pretty nice addition.

I agree. Although it's kind of necessary now. hehehe.

Precursor to kung-fu =3

"Wrestle using upper front tooth" -> "shake throat with upper front tooth"
This is Kung fu? This is madness!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »

I had the most pathetic night creature spouse.  It lived in a little mound immediately on the edge of town, and from the remains in the cave it had apparently been living on fireflies.  Taking its head was practically mercy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:18:50 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:36 pm »

While on the travel map, the sun moving across the sky at the top of the screen is a pretty nice addition.

Wow. Love the new wrestling menus. But am suspecting wrestling is a also bit broken stronger in general this release. What with the attacks of opportunity, I'm betting a fighter/wrestler could be pretty formidable.

Precursor to kung-fu =3

EDIT: Speaking of that, I hope when he adds that.. quarterstaves.

Can you disarm in this version?

You can always try and disable/ dismember their weapon arm. If you want to steal their weapons, i guess you could just do it from the wrestling menu, just like before.
Man, if DF wast among the best games of the world already, it would still be the #1 now.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »

There's a lot of info on the ''Your First Adventurer'' help screen. It's definitely worth a read.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 04:02:37 pm »

I had the most pathetic night creature spouse.  It lived in a little mound immediately on the edge of town, and from the remains in the cave it had apparently been living on fireflies.  Taking its head was practically mercy.

Spoilers! Man! Bogeymen are what hide under little dwarves beds and eat them if they go checking the vermin traps for snacks in the middle of the night.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 04:04:09 pm »

My adventurers are all getting killed by bogeymen.  Really need to stop travelling at night.  I love how the bogeymen corpses fade, and the bogeymen disappear at dawn.  Spooky little bastards.

Well, my first one was all but easy. I brought a party of three soldiers with me. One of them was massacred in the fight, two others suffucated afterwards. The third fella(might have been a gal) is still with me, though!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 04:08:26 pm »

got two legendary animals, a bear and a wolf, as first quest. not hard, being a speardwarf. and then an outlaw... damn crossbows. I cant have dwarven armor and I had a bolt in each leg. a random swordman covered our retreat, but now I don't know how patch up myself.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »

So I got tasked into killing this outlaw. As the competent swordsman I am, with only a single kill, that being a courgar I killed with just a few strikes, I set out to the bandit camp.

Turns out my enemy was slightly more skilled then I thought.

Staddat Thomodcudal was so skilled that he was just described as a "master" in my screen. As I sneaked into the bandit camp, he spotted me right away and charged at me. I backed off a few paces, as he had a goblin bowman with him. After about half a minute of running, the fight starts.

Turns out Staddat deserved his title, he blocked/dodged every single of my strikes with truly masterful skill, and gave me a nasty wound to my right arm which almost made me drop my sword, and eventualy delivered a mortal wound to my lung.
However, as he did this, he gave me an opening, a mistake he wouldn't live to regret.

After dozens of failed strikes and receiving a mortal wound to my lung, I stuck my blade into his brain, killing him. I only survived because the bleeding stopped before I died so I was able to travel away :o

Good crap, aimed strikes makes fights much more intense and strategical, that decision pretty much made the difference between life and death. Strikes can actualy give your enemies's openings now.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:23 pm »

Fun times:  Knock enemy out.  A, a, c, h.  Curb stomp.
Shoes...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »

I'm enjoying biting the throats out of my enemies, actually.
All you have to do is grapple them somehow and BAM, opening created.

EDIT: this just in.  Assuming no armour, biting the lower body is more effective due to the gut-spilling.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:22:29 pm by Flaede »
[/quote]

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

Axeman: You look like a mighty warrior indeed.
Destis Nongosirol: I am lady.

EDIT: TROLL!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:24:54 pm by OzyTheSage »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »

I was looking at  that and wondering what you were talking about.  I figured you just meant a night cr--TROLL!
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 04:44:21 pm »

"a pack of wolves! it's an ambush!" tough Onust; my journey to the sensitive plains to hunt groundhogs is just started and already ended.

sneaking in the threes, backing slowly away, he was carefully planning his escape

and then, all of a sudden, one beast found him. it charged, and missed. dodging o the left, Onust found that, having wolves lot of leg parts, it's quite easy to have a god shoot at one of them. a severe cut was now on the rear left leg, down to the bone.

the wolf charge landed directly on ground.

but he was not yet safe...

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 05:01:10 pm »

O armok
in order for a quest I have to kill:

I succeded. Yay! (I'm a human spearman with bronze equipment, FYI)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

Adventured a bit as an axedwarf.  Completed a few quests to kill bandit leaders.  Narrowly escaped from bogeymen (never be outside at night!).  Recruited a few human pikemen to help me kill a night creature.  On the way back from that quest, we were ambushed by a hit squad sent from one of the bandit groups I attacked earlier.  Goblin lasher sliced off all my limbs.

Adventure mode is awesome now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28