Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69477 times)

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:04 am »

Dear god, Night Creatures are scary. I won in a fight against a titan made of stone - and I'd fight it again, before fighting another Night Creature and company!

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2010, 08:57:57 am »

I found one thing: pike + aimed attacks = ownage. Skewered one night creature this way as my first quest. Also, made bogeyman-onna-stick with my trusty pike. For that matter, pike sucks against large groups of bogeymen.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2010, 10:14:52 am »

I found one thing: pike + aimed attacks = ownage. Skewered one night creature this way as my first quest. Also, made bogeyman-onna-stick with my trusty pike. For that matter, pike sucks against large groups of bogeymen.

Wrestling also tends to be highly effective, at least against more mundane creatures like bandits and goblins. Even with a low wrestling skill, they don't seem to dodge your attempt to grab their throat and choke them, and it only takes one or two more turns afterward to put them unconscious. You can then stab/bash their head for a high chance of jamming their skull through the brain. It seems like an easy way to thin large packs of enemies, though I don't recommend it for titans/night creatures (too large/strong, it'll shake off your grip, assuming it even has a throat to choke) or leaders (they'll dodge your attempts, easier to take out a leg or foot to slow them down, then hit them with opportunities and let them bleed out, to minimize the chance they'll get a lucky shot at you).

Incidentally, isn't twisting supposed to cause pain? Even mundane creatures don't seem to succumb to pain as often as I'd expect them to, especially compared to my adventurers, where I'm always unconscious a few turns after pain appears. Is that a factor of attributes? I completely minimize most of the mental stats, since the adventurer manual said they are completely useless (except kinesthetic and spatial sense).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:18:20 am by Niveras »

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2010, 10:26:13 am »

Whoa those giant scorpions are nasty. I had a nice band of heroes ( 3axemen, 2 macemen, 1 pikemen and me = swordsman) and we killed cyclops and hags and trolls. En route to pillage some camp i have seen on map we had random encounter: Giant Scorpions. Within seconds all of my men were paralyzed by poison and shredded by giant pincers. I have held out and managed to kill 2 of the beasts (being the only one wearing full bronze armour), but then succumbed to the poison stings.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2010, 11:20:30 am »

I can see forest retreats and dwarven fortresses on the map but I cant seem to find them no matter how much I search. Are they actually there?

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2010, 11:59:59 am »

Well, I can't really find anything Important in towns anymore. No Quest Givers, no shops, no Inns. All I find is a bunch of Meatshields Useless Retinues under my command...
Ohh, and they rarely have a quest for me to go and slay some really buff beast for them at night.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Hangak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »

The new adventure mode is awesome.

Two things that I would like to see:

- Kills done by your companions in the Legends screen
- a list of your equipment when you die

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »

There seems to be a bug with items bought in shops randomly becoming marked as stolen later. Happened to me 3 times and I had to savescum. I was wearing them for a long time before on several quests and there were ok. Seems to be somewhat related to talking with people since I haven't had this happening without some talk in between. The scenario so far is like this:
1. Your items are all ok.
2. You talk to someone in a town.
3. You go to another house and talk to another person, he responds "Don't talk to me".
4. You look into your inventory and items you bought from shops, and which were fine before, suddenly have $ symbol next to their name...
This is how it always happened, but it doesn't reproduce every time.
That must have been what happened to my one adventurer. When the next town over also refused to talk to me or let me sleep, I killed them all in their sleep and took their knives so I could throw them at people.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

codeManJones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2010, 02:06:50 pm »

Love this!  DF is reaching new heights with every release :D

that said, Night creatures are a little buggy when it comes to bashing.  my macedwarf shattered nearly every bone in the thing's body, including multiple skull fractures AND shatters, spine fractures, and lodging a dagger into the lung.  all body parts red except the left lung and heart.  eventually the thing got in a lucky bite on his leg and ripped it apart, killing the dwarf for his poor choice of profession.  my pike and swordsmen kill em fine

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2010, 04:30:53 pm »

Man, 2010 is shaping up to be the biggest year for DF to date...I can only imagine the amazing potential we'll have once real caravans are implemented and a true global economy is set up.  At this rate we'll have ongoing worldgen in dwarf mode quite soon.  Toady's definitely getting another donation come the end of the quarter based on what he's given us so far (food and rent must come before DF, sadly).

It seems like adding the site sprawl was the trigger that unleashed the flood of new content.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2010, 05:22:14 pm »

If I had a job, toady would get half my paycheck, everytime.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2010, 07:58:59 pm »

Hello everyone, i just had a quick question regarding the new release. Did Toady happen to fix the nobles (Hammer, Dungeon Master etc..) by any chance? i didnt see it in the log file figured maybe it was done earlier or maybe didnt add it to the list?

Thanks all

P.S. Great release Toady, this game continues to surpass my expectations by a landslide, It just gets better and better. Excellent work my friend.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »

"You have been shot and killed."

Gosh-darn ninja kobolds hidin' behind trees just waiting for you to be pre-occupied with slayin' their friends.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Malorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2010, 08:16:29 pm »

Anyone else notice that there aren't really any new bug introduced this time around?  I'm surprised given the massive content expansion.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:44 pm »

Anyone else notice that there aren't really any new bug introduced this time around?  I'm surprised given the massive content expansion.
There are plenty, I have noticed Prepared Fly Brains. Also, here is a link I read whenever something strange happens in my game just to be sure.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bug
Notice there are bugs still from 40d
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18