Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released  (Read 69494 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.17 Released
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:12 am »

If I trade the shopkeeper something then leave when he owes me money, is that value cashed out in coin when I leave the screen or simply lost?

he plops the coins down on the table in front of him, you have to pick them up manually.

I don't know if they stay there forever or if they vanish when you leave.

I didn't get some coins in one store, even though I was 99% sure I'd been owed some. Next store I went into decided that the shield I'd bought and paid for from them earlier was now their property again, and that I'd stolen it. no one will talk to me.

Stores have some issues.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2010, 12:47:18 am »

So yeah. They hunt humans for food.

Dear fucking god.
Not just humans. I found elf tripe and prepared dwarf brains in the cave I just died horribly in.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2010, 01:07:45 am »

:D!!YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! :D

ARMOK BLESS YOU!!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2010, 01:11:27 am »

Having the [LOCAL_BANDITRY] tag on a race you're playing as makes things sort of wonk out a bit. Basically, when you start, everyone is perfectly okay with you, but when you head out for about half a day or visit another hamlet, everyone is trying to kill you, regardless of their race or affiliation.

Adventure mode is shaping up pretty neatly, though. It actually qualifies as an adventure of sorts, rather than "Elf Massacre Simulator 2010"... although it still works very nicely in that department too.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2010, 01:35:55 am »

The new travel map. It's so ... beautiful WOW. Day/Night change is AWESOME!!! Adventure Mode is really starting to get interesting now :D

God I love Dwarf Fortress, thanks Toady !

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2010, 01:50:25 am »

W H A T A H O R R I B L E N I G H T TO H A V E A C U R S E ! ! !
Also: DO NIGHT CREATURES SHOW UP IN DORF MODE? PLEASE TELL ME YES, THEY SOUND SO COOL BUT I'M JUST NOT THE ADVENTURE MODE TYPE.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2010, 01:55:20 am »

Thank you, Toady, Thank you.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2010, 02:02:20 am »

Wow, I havn't been ambushed at all since I have 19 angry humans running around with me, but a pack of goblins just hit.

"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Branded Seduction!..."

Pretty scared for a pack that outnumbers me about two to one.

After a brutal fight, all of them were dead, I was pretty badly cut up, and most of my companions had been killed as well. I wish I had some armor.

THIS IS GREAT.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2010, 02:14:24 am »

This random human I recruited, no profession at all just 'human', has proved to be incredibly tough... or lucky... or both! So far of the 12 bandits we've encounters, he personally has slain three with almost no help. He has almost as many scars as me, never seems to take a mortal wound, and we're trekking across the countryside.

His bronze carving knife has claimed 7 lives, including some wolves and 2 kobolds.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2010, 02:30:11 am »

Hoo! Adventurer mode is freaking awesome.

First time ever playing it, managed to stave off an attack by the bogeymen along with my stout comrade... a random buzzard. Apparently bogeymen just kill anything thats out after dark. That is simultaneously awesome and terrifying.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2010, 02:48:46 am »

Super cool.  I wound up spending half my workday playing this, he he he.

My first adventurer actually seems to have lucked out some and done extremely well.  Lost the use of his left arm in an early fight, but cut a swathe through countless bandit camps and a couple night creature spouses before being referred to the Lady of the castle for a more glorious quest.  Sent after a hill titan, my troupe and I waged a bloody battle but the victory was never really in doubt.

Now I'm playing at home and trying to stay alive past the first couple of quests.  Oh well!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:21 am »

Once you get 19 companions, things go from hard to ridiculously cheesy easy, due to the fact they can all stand in one spot. Few things can take 20 angry blows at once and keep being able to fight, from dragons to night creatures. I just fought a cave dragon which went from perfectly ok to entirely red, missing both eyes, and winded all in the time it took for me to lay down. By the time I stood back up, his brains had been bashed in after passing out from exhaustion. Its only actions were to shake off the people biting it twice.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2010, 03:21:09 am »

Tip: You can still gain reputation by killing "bosses" even if you haven't been tasked to kill them.  If repeatedly ask about "surroundings" at every town/hamlet/castle you go to, you'll find camps/lairs/caves which might be closer to a safe sleeping place than the assignments you've been given.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2010, 04:00:32 am »

After countless victories over the enemies of The Girdled Nation, the human swordswoman Lalcil Raptorsquash was bestowed with the title "The Young Rack of Shadows." She had defeated no less than seventeen bandits and goblins and had the scars (and dead companions) to prove it. So far no threat seemed to great for Lalcil, who was rumored to be of divine parentage. Her story is now little more than a footnote, though, after she learned the hard way why you should be afraid of the night...

She had just defeated a notorious goblin crossbowman and his band of miscreants, losing the last of her companions in the progress, and was heading back to report her glorious deeds. It was in the dead of night when they emerged from the darkness, their hideous laughter announcing their presence before the carnage began. There were at least a dozen of the things, kicking, biting, and scratching the Young Rack of Shadows. She managed to slay two before she was brought low, her flesh gnawed off and her skull kicked in. She really should have listened to that villager about staying in at night. The bogeymen will get you.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 04:04:04 am »

Night creatures can also appear in the middle of the night.

I and my 13 comrades-in-arms were returning from the (successful!) slaying of a zombie ettin(?!) when suddenly, during the night... "Night Creatures!"

And lo, they did slaughter us to a man.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18