Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Those Kids of today!  (Read 2274 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those Kids of today!
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:58:50 pm »

Those Dwarfs keep amazing me...

This time, a dwarven child went moody, claimed a workshop and made an artifact left sock.

Whats next? Legendary babies?
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Those Kids of today!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:06 pm »

It happens. Just wait until you see a dwarven mother go into combat for a full year, giveing birth as it started, and the kid being a legendary dodger from somehow surviveing that entire time.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »

Those Dwarfs keep amazing me...

This time, a dwarven child went moody, claimed a workshop and made an artifact left sock.

Whats next? Legendary babies?
How unlikely that seems, it CAN happen :D

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:45:12 pm »

The babies need more things to do.  But one time one of my dwarves went mad, picked up a baby; then set him down in the ale room.  now I don't know if i read it right but i'm pretty sure when i hit "U" i saw that the baby was drinking.  Again i could of been wrong and maybe that was a child but it had the baby icon.

What can babies do as it is right now?  And can you make a dwarf manually pick up a baby? if a baby seems weak can you drop him off a cliff?  my dwarfs believe in SPARTA!  I always hear about adventure mode people using dwarfs to kill other children and use there body parts as weapons.  Can you use a dwarf baby as a weapon? toughening it up for it's bright future of mining?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 01:57:40 pm »

Hey OP.

You know how a dwarf can throw tantrums and kill people? Imagine your legendary child doing this. He'll break some skulls ... and children are above the law. They cannot be punished! (this was the case in 40d anyway)

I've had a tantrum spiral in a very ... virile fort. Children were wrecking EVERYTHING. Mostly kicking over chairs and destroying cages (and thus releasing all the zoo animals) but also murdering their parents and siblings, become even more depressed and murder some more!

Those kids of today!

if a baby seems weak can you drop him off a cliff?  my dwarfs believe in SPARTA!  I always hear about adventure mode people using dwarfs to kill other children and use there body parts as weapons.  Can you use a dwarf baby as a weapon?

Throw them off a cliff? No. but you can drop a mother into water. she'll abandon her baby and swim for safety. the mother will have little trouble getting out of a pond, but the baby drowns very quickly.
Weapon? No. but any mother in the military will carry her baby and it will function as extra protection.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:01:38 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 02:36:17 pm »

i believe you can make children work by turning on jobs in DT
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »

i believe you can make children work by turning on jobs in DT
Which DT itself lampshades would be cheating.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:23:00 pm »

Children going on a rampage and murdering people?  Wow, that's uh.... different from my fort.

Some little brat got a failed mood and went beserk.  Ran out of the workshop and hit a hauler a few times doing absolutely nothing.  The hauler [peasant] goes running off down the hall with the kid after him.  A hunter is walking by doing nothing when the little kid runs up and starts beating on him with no effect.  The hunter just kinda shrugs, pops him once with his wooden crossbow killing him with a spray of blood on the floor and walls, and walks off to do whatever it was he was in the middle of doing.

If I was less lazy I'd put that on the face palm thread.  Seriously... some little twit trying to beat up full grown dwarves?  In a way I laughed when the hunter taught him a valuable lesson about not attacking things bigger and tougher then you.  Too bad the kid didn't survive.
Cage traps are my magma.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »

I've had a few children getting moods and making marginally useful artifacts. It's not all that bad - when he grows up, you get an instant legendary! If he gets a chance to grow up, that is.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »

I get a lot of legendary kids, some grown up by now.

I've also had some minorly-dangerous monster get punched by a baby before my military got there.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

Mother goes beserk, baby kills mother... long stretch but it could happen...  I've had children kill in a tantrum spiral, usually from a thrown item.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Alogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 03:58:36 pm »

I had about 10 in my one fort, Lasted over 10 years, And due to siege mods I never got any migrants aside from the first two waves. So after all 17 of my adult dwarves had fey moods, They started hitting the 40 some children I had running around

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »

Mother goes beserk, baby kills mother... long stretch but it could happen...  I've had children kill in a tantrum spiral, usually from a thrown item.

I had a child go berserk from a failed mood and beat down 4 war dogs with her bare hands once.
Current Fort: NatureRags

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:08:27 pm »

I enjoy it when the dwarven child organizes a party that lasts for over a year and goes through several thousand barrels of dwarf booze. The second he becomes an adult, he becomes mayor.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »

It would be pretty funny if they melded the dwarven 'mood' system with dwarven pregnancy?

Every pregnant dwarf would fall into a mood, she'd take over a room and gather materials (always food, sometimes booze) and the 'artifact' would be the baby.

They'd have to mellow out the downside and take out the insanity from a gameplay part though, maybe just make them really unhappy if you can't supply them with what they're craving.

Pages: [1] 2