Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: rioting  (Read 7344 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: rioting
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:18 pm »

Funnily enough, violently rioting is an activity we British enjoyed in the 18th century.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 12:25:08 pm »

Peaceful protests are way more successful here in the US, but riots can still happen.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 12:38:52 pm »

According to Wiki, the Lib dems only had 73,000 members six years ago. it's not going to be that many more now. The best tactic that I can think of is if ALL unhappy students join the party and try to vote out Nick Clegg as leader. That could actually be easily done.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 01:02:27 pm »

Tsar, that is a beautiful idea.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 01:12:49 pm »

Spread the word. It should be done. Any politician who changes his policies so decisively after an election deserves to be out of a job. He categorically said that there would be no increase in fees, and is likely to vote towards tripling them.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 01:20:48 pm »

On a more serious point, I was actually planning to attend the protests. Clegg and his party lied to us, and now it's obvious that he's nothing more than a Tory lickspittle who is so desperate for power he's willing to betray the demographic he was originally counting on.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

According to Wiki, the Lib dems only had 73,000 members six years ago. it's not going to be that many more now. The best tactic that I can think of is if ALL unhappy students join the party and try to vote out Nick Clegg as leader. That could actually be easily done.
The thing is, I don't think most students can afford to do that.

Lib dems are pretty much dead as a political force now anyway.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 05:04:22 pm »

If you're a student it's only six pounds to join the liberal democrats. I'm not sure if that gives you voting rights, but they are pretty big on wide democracy, so it might. Everyone can afford six pounds. I might even join the buggers to get rid of him.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 05:32:35 pm »

If you're a student it's only six pounds to join the liberal democrats. I'm not sure if that gives you voting rights, but they are pretty big on wide democracy, so it might. Everyone can afford six pounds. I might even join the buggers to get rid of him.

I'm not from the UK, so it should be no big shock that I don't know how things work over there, but...  If I'm reading this right, and I'm probably not, you have to pay a fee to vote?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 05:48:03 pm »

You have to pay a fee to join a party in order to vote the leader of the party out, I think. Works a bit differenly to the US; you vote for the candidate at the electoral level, which contributes to that party's number of chairs, and the party with a majority of the chairs in the country gets to be the Government and thus decide amongst themselves who's the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, etc.

I think.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 06:07:13 pm »

Wait.

Actually, don't the MPs choose the party leader anyway?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »

I have mixed feelings on riots.

One problem with peaceful assembly is that you get a few crazy people

Now while you can't blame the group for HAVING a few crazy people... you can blame the group for allowing the crazy people to stick around and thus protecting them.

Because honestly after seeing someone assault a police officer I'd like everyone to go "You know what, this isn't what we are looking for in a member. Please leave"

Of course this is only one kind of riot.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 06:12:02 pm »

Yeah, even the losing parties choose who would be their Prime Minister, if they'd won. The main difference is that your vote goes more to the party than the individual.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »

varies from party to party. The conservatives had a disaster a few years ago when the members outvoted the mps and put Ian Duncan Smith into the leadership role. Ducansmith was one of the key rebels that stabbed John Major in the back in the 1990s and sealed the tories defeat by new labour, so unsurprisingly when he became leader many of the mps resented it. They then changed it so only mps could vote for their leader. In labour i know the unions and members do get to vote, but their votes count less than the mps (Ed beat his brother on union votes despite being beaten on mps).

If we all joined the libs and could vote, we could kick the Smeg out but... it would have to be timed for their leadership election, which wont happen until there is a challenge to nicks leadership, or he steps down. If students joined enmass teh party would treat it as student popularity and use it to justify their actions in the media.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 06:21:57 pm »

Labour leadership elections are interesting.  All the MPs together count for 33%, all the members count for 33%, and all the affiliated unions count for 33%.  This does mean some people can multivote (I think my dad could vote twice).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7