Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: rioting  (Read 7342 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: rioting
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:33:09 am »

Cameron had a majority of 22,740 with a turnout of 57,769 in his constituency.  Prime ministers always have safe seats.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

quite frankly, defending vandalism looks just as silly
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:16 am »

Prime ministers always have safe seats.
So, the BNP are never getting in? Lets hope.

Though, to be honest on this situation here in England, I get the feeling the riots where initiated by pro-tory students.
After all, the best publicity boosts are the under hand, and under cover ones.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:53 am »

Well, they're not getting in in Cameron's constituency, certainly.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:45:08 am »

I meant in general.
Their current head of party stands in one of the most culturally diverse areas of London.

I, unfortunately, realise if you don't know who the BNP are, then it's going to be difficult to understand these posts.
Lets just say the party has been called out multiple times on their membership policies.
That's as about as unopinionated I could get to phrasing that.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 10:51:14 am »

BNP - Noun, a bunch of racist, sexist, nationalist, bigoted filth. Led by the illustrious, nationalist, bigoted, sexist, racist piece of filth Nick "The dickhead" Griffin.
*Hugs*

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 11:12:16 am »

^ Or that.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 11:19:10 am »

I'm on the fence with this one; on one hand peaceful protesting is kinda boring and unless you have like a million people then no-one cares at all. You can get a lot more done with a destructive protest with a lot less people :P

The anti iraq war march in London was ~1.5 million and was pretty much ignored.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 11:46:31 am »

What is a "march" good for. A pacific strike, yes, but a "march" or a manifestation is usually useless. It was only useful as a threat of riot.
I fully support your action.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:53:59 am »

I was just thinking. Gordon Brown must be pretty smug right now, not even a year in to the coalition government and there's been a riot.
*Hugs*

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 11:59:47 am »

I was going to go down and riot peacefully protest with bricks banner in hand, but I didn't have enough money for a tank train ticket.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 12:06:08 pm »

--but I didn't have enough money for a tank train ticket.
Joke all you want. I don't have enough money for a train ticket. And my girlfriend lives in London.
*sigh*

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »

What is a "march" good for. A pacific strike, yes, but a "march" or a manifestation is usually useless. It was only useful as a threat of riot.
I fully support your action.
A march will show the politicians and the general public just how strongly an amount of people feel about a certain issue. All of our politicians are ultimately voted out of office, and they tend to get scared when a huge amount of people march against them .
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 12:10:53 pm »

in terms of the NUS campaign, the march was the first event. Most NUS branches are organising a load of more local actions. If you want to join in contact your local NUS, and explain that your very concerned about the coalition plans to up tuition fees x3 in the name of fairness, and that you'd like to participate in peaceful protesting.

The coalition plans wont effect me, and they wont effect most students, they will affect todays school kids.

However.. although i have partaken in rioting i didnt go to london expecting it. If you do join protests dont go looking for a fight, or you will end with a criminal record, or pulling glass out of your face, or in hospital recovering from a concussion.

I would be supprised if local NUS protests turn violent
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »

Yeah, Westminster's a rough part of town.

(Seriously though! These sorts of things are often turned violent against the organisers will, especially when in capitol cities. It's like the internet, the more people that know about something, the more likely idiots are gunna turn up, and try to start a fight. Okay, vague comparison, but it's a little bit similar.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7