Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 1659 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

Okay, now its after 11 AM so we're official.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »

Remember that the Taliban were a liberating group who were highly popular in the area, at least for a few years, before it all went a bit pear shaped. Afganistan is a huge mess. You would really have to speak to the people on the ground who are going to continue to live there for years to come, and see if they think that the coalition has done a good job. I realy don't know that much about the situation before or now. Iraq was a huge huge cock up. The population of Iraq should be cheering for the west right now, for eliminating the oppressive previous regime, but the last survey that I saw suggests that as many or almost as many people think they are as bad off now as they were under Hussain. How we managed to turn a willing population so concretely against the British and Americans I do not know.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:14 pm »

A very minor point, but I cannot find anything anywhere that suggests Armistice Day is only celebrated after 11 am. The entire day is a national holiday is America, is it not ? It is at 11.11 that we observe the minutes silence.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »

How we managed to turn a willing population so concretely against the British and Americans I do not know.
Easy, by making it worse or at least not changing anything for them on the ground.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »

A very minor point, but I cannot find anything anywhere that suggests Armistice Day is only celebrated after 11 am. The entire day is a national holiday is America, is it not ? It is at 11.11 that we observe the minutes silence.
But what about those who aren't in America?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »

We can assume somebody took into account Time Zones at one point, and that remembrance begins at 11:00 wherever Nikov lives,
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 04:35:25 pm »

I highly respect those who fought to defend their country, but not those who fought to invade another country. Sadly, these veteran days put them side by side.

Individual Soldiers don't get to decide if they take part in an invasion, even volunteers. They deserve just as much respect as a defending soldier.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:56 pm »

We can assume somebody took into account Time Zones at one point, and that remembrance begins at 11:00 wherever Nikov lives,
It's 11:00 GMT, I can tell you that much.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:14:52 pm »

They signed up for the former, but don't resign when tricked into doing the latter. One of those depressing things I'd rather not think about.

Easy for you to say now.
Magma is overrated.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »

Having moved to the US from Britain, I have to say... I miss poppies... that is all.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 10:14:13 pm »

Remember that the Taliban were a liberating group who were highly popular in the area, at least for a few years, before it all went a bit pear shaped. Afganistan is a huge mess. You would really have to speak to the people on the ground who are going to continue to live there for years to come, and see if they think that the coalition has done a good job. I realy don't know that much about the situation before or now. Iraq was a huge huge cock up. The population of Iraq should be cheering for the west right now, for eliminating the oppressive previous regime, but the last survey that I saw suggests that as many or almost as many people think they are as bad off now as they were under Hussain. How we managed to turn a willing population so concretely against the British and Americans I do not know.
Afghanistan was a mess in the first place because the US backed revolutionary militias to fuck with the USSR back in the '80s (which is rather a gray area morally, because any successes by the mujaheddin  inspired brutal retribution on the local populace by the soviets, and left them the most well-armed faction in the power vacuum that resulted from the soviet withdrawal, but then the massive cost, in resources and lives, ultimately ruined the USSR, leading to its collapse shortly after, which, although regrettable in some respects, also moved the thermonuclear headsman's axe a little further away from the collective throat of humanity). Then after toppling the government founded by those militias we neglected the country in favor of an inane attack on Iraq. Which quickly revealed that Saddam, while a brutal dictator, was much better than the local alternative, when radically worse militias popped up to try to fill the power vacuum. The whole "knocking out the Iraqi infrastructure" part certainly didn't help either, or the gross mismanagement of the occupation from day one...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 12:10:44 pm »

Oh well, apparently B12 can't refrain from derailing a topic about remembrance day into some fattle. Locked.
Pages: 1 [2]