Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remembrance Day  (Read 1658 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Remembrance Day
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »

Anniversary of peace to the war to end all wars. Shame it didn't come true...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:11:09 pm by Nilocy »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Remembrance Day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »

Its a Pittance Of Time

They place this song every remembrance day here in Canada.

It fills me with rage.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:42:31 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »

Why does it fill you with rage?
I like that song.
But then again, I like most things (while simultaniously disliking most things, somehow).

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:16:34 pm »

It's always this song around here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgpAj9cYTQ

ON REMEMBRANCE DAYYYYYYY~

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:21 pm »

Its not Rememberance Day until 11 AM, if you ask me.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:25:54 am »

Much respect to all soldiers in every country & every time that fought and fight for their country, from the time we became humans to the nearly impossible time when there is no war.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:30:57 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 06:21:13 am »

I highly respect those who fought to defend their country, but not those who fought to invade another country. Sadly, these veteran days put them side by side.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:35:08 am »

I highly respect those who fought to defend their country, but not those who fought to invade another country. Sadly, these veteran days put them side by side.

How do you feel about Vietnam? What about the soldiers who were drafted?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:05:38 am »

Aye, and what about the troops who invaded Nazi Germany? Many went willingly, but can you say that it was a bad thing to liberate France? Throw down fascism in Germany and Italy?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:55 am »

I highly respect those who fought to defend their country, but not those who fought to invade another country.

The difference is rather subtle, as one is usually used as a cover for the other. And viceversa. Besides. since when do grunts decide foreign policy?

Not that I personally care. I don't particularily respect or disrespect soldiers

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 11:18:23 am »

I suppose that the differnce is that nowadays many modern soldiers have the choice whether they want to enlist or not. The guys who were in vietnam had little choice. I'm not condemning modern soldiers, just pointing out the difference.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 11:43:25 am »

There were still people who enlisted without being drafted.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »

I shall remembrance the days of yore.  Days when thine wants twas petty.  Thine needs superfluous.  What exertions in carelessness.  Oh those halcyon days of yore.  I will remember.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »

How do you feel about Vietnam? What about the soldiers who were drafted?

Well... if I was a viet commie, I'd hate them. But since I'm anti-communist, I'd say they did a poor job in defending the area from communism, but should be respected and remembered for their good intentions, bravery, and sacrifice.

The Afghanistan war was also great work from invading soldiers and really did liberate the people, at least for now. Iraq war was  hypocrisy. Yet everyone treats both like they're the same thing.

They were just grunts who followed orders. But I dunno... dying to defend freedom is not quite the same honor as dying to oppress others. They signed up for the former, but don't resign when tricked into doing the latter. One of those depressing things I'd rather not think about.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »

Being in the ATC I (and a few other people) had to stand to attention for the duration of the minutes silence in a crowded room. Wow, that was awkward.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: [1] 2