Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Desiging the First Dwarven Gas-chamber  (Read 6767 times)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Desiging the First Dwarven Gas-chamber
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 04:01:17 pm »

Which still leaves my designs for manipulating the need for a path open. Simply make something with a lot of channels (and remove the ramps!) several bridges where whenever you want it to attack you open the bridge that is farest from the fb. It will start to use it's breath attacks one the goblins and may walk towards the bridge if it does that and is more then 3/4 of the way then you raise the bridge again and drop another one.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Satlan_Leng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »

I still don't understand why I have to use one of my animals to trigger the breath attacks. Can't I just use goblins to do that?

Unless your FB has a way to walk to the goblins, it wont breath(test this and i think i have a way to do so). What they are saying is this. You have your pit, and in the middle of the pit is a small little room with fortification for the gas to go through. With the FB locked in that middle room, it will not breath its gas as it can not get out of that room. So to make it breath its gas on the goblins on the outside of the fortification you are dropping a kitten right ontop of the FB. You use a kitten as it worn some how randomly kill the FB(or it just might). With the kitten in the same room as the FB, it breaths its gas attack, then gas will go through the fortification, dead goblins.

Now all of that is under the assumption that your FB will only do its gas attack on a creature it could wind a way to walk up to and hit. To test if it will breath gas through the fortifications do this. Place the FB, wall it in and all that. Then throw a kitten into the pit. If it can attack through the fortification it will, if not you need to rig up a way to throw kittens right ontop of it inside the fortification.

If you do need to drop them ontop of the FB i would make the spot holding it along one of the walls with a fortification facing into the pit like this.
    ######
###        #
#   :        #     
###        #
    ######
# = Wall
: = Fortification

This leaves it easy to have a channel above it to drop the kittens in without getting in the way of the falling goblins. To get the dead goblins out just make the whole floor of the pit a retractable brige. No need to spikes if you are able to get the gas to kill them.

For marks goblins you could even make the "pen" holding the FB deeper into the wall. The edge of the pit a fortification, a open space behind it, then another fortification and then the FB.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 07:28:31 pm »

I still don't understand why I have to use one of my animals to trigger the breath attacks. Can't I just use goblins to do that?

Unless your FB has a way to walk to the goblins, it wont breath(test this and i think i have a way to do so). What they are saying is this. You have your pit, and in the middle of the pit is a small little room with fortification for the gas to go through. With the FB locked in that middle room, it will not breath its gas as it can not get out of that room. So to make it breath its gas on the goblins on the outside of the fortification you are dropping a kitten right ontop of the FB. You use a kitten as it worn some how randomly kill the FB(or it just might). With the kitten in the same room as the FB, it breaths its gas attack, then gas will go through the fortification, dead goblins.

Now all of that is under the assumption that your FB will only do its gas attack on a creature it could wind a way to walk up to and hit. To test if it will breath gas through the fortifications do this. Place the FB, wall it in and all that. Then throw a kitten into the pit. If it can attack through the fortification it will, if not you need to rig up a way to throw kittens right ontop of it inside the fortification.

If you do need to drop them ontop of the FB i would make the spot holding it along one of the walls with a fortification facing into the pit like this.
    ######
###        #
#   :        #     
###        #
    ######
# = Wall
: = Fortification

This leaves it easy to have a channel above it to drop the kittens in without getting in the way of the falling goblins. To get the dead goblins out just make the whole floor of the pit a retractable brige. No need to spikes if you are able to get the gas to kill them.

For marks goblins you could even make the "pen" holding the FB deeper into the wall. The edge of the pit a fortification, a open space behind it, then another fortification and then the FB.

Wow, that explains a whole lot! Thank you; the previous ideas had been very difficult to convey.

Oh god... a one-tile mountain of dead puppies and an FB that's breathing "boiling extract" onto a bunch of goblins. This is just amazing. A puppy-powered gas-chamber.

IT. WILL. BE. DONE.

Going to open up an alternate iteration of the game, build the chamber, and test my FB's killing power. From what I've seen, its gas breath doesn't seem to be too powerful, but with enough dead puppies deaths may well occur. I will report back. If the beast's breath is deemed ineffective, then perhaps I will merely build a shrine around the beast (it's made of salt, so really nothing is gained from killing it since it will only drop salt) so my dorfs can worship it, and then save the puppypoweredgaschamber for another FB... my spider is still quite alive, so I can always capture more ;D

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:41 pm »

*Report*

Built a prototype. The protype is 3 levels high and is structured like this:

===
|  V  |
 =x=

===
|  H  |
 ===
    ===
   |NGOK |
 ==XXX=
|Puppies|
 =        |
    ====

V = pit
H = hatch, with channeled out floor underneath
X = fortification
x = door

Idea was to drop the trigger-puppy into the first pit. Then, once the door is out of the pit room, pull the level dropping the hatch, and then pull it again so that when the dorf goes back into the room to drop another puppy in he won't get scared off. It works like a charm, but here's the issue:

Ngok is easily the WIMPIEST FB I'VE EVER SEEN. Not only did it take him FIVE MINUTES to kill a puppy on the same tile as him, but his gas breath attack doesn't do anything! The puppy in the gas chamber didn't have any negative effects or anything in wounds. Crazy. So now I have to get ANOTHER FB.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:17 pm »

Just a tip here, I noticed the thing is made of salt.
You'll want to keep it away from marksgoblins, as it will probably explode at the first scratch.
I told you dog, salt is not a good material for your doom creatures.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 11:13:13 pm »

So did the breath go into the gas chamber? Even if it was uselessbreath, it is good to have confirmation fortifications do let the breath attack through.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:28 pm »

So did the breath go into the gas chamber? Even if it was uselessbreath, it is good to have confirmation fortifications do let the breath attack through.

YES. In the name of science I have proven that breath attacks DO travel through fortifications. However, the FB won't use the breath attack unless there is a creature in his direct line of sight.

I also noticed something EXTREMELY strange. I savescummed and tried to move the far wall closer to the FB. However, this only seemed to reduce the range on the FB's breath attack accordingly! What a peculiar beast!

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 12:16:27 am »

Wow, this is completely strange. So another forgotten beast shows up:

The forgotten beast Anu Sposnuxosun Kosmza has arrived! An enormous rabbit twisted into humanoid form with external ribs. It has has a bloated body. Its dark-peach hair is long and shaggy. Beware its fire!

Immediately, I considered turning my gas chamber into an incineration room. However, it seems there's a small problem. The beast immediately sought out, and engaged, the thriving cave swallow people on my map. And when I say they're thriving, I really mean it. There are TONS of these things in my second cavern layer, more than I've ever seen of a lesser civilization. The swallowfolk have already killed two forgotten beasts, including the first saltmonster as well as an absolutely massive scorpionmonster that had a venomous sting, so this beast went to avenge its fallen brethren.

Though heavily injured, it is prevailing... but here is the problem:

The fire breath doesn't seem to be injuring the swallows.

What. The. Fuck. Fire is fire. It can't be hot or not-hot, right? It's turning the ground to ashes, yes, but no matter how often "Cave Swallow Man/Woman was caught in a cloud of flames!" occurs, I don't see any burning or grease on the ground or anything. No wounds on them seem to be burn-inflicted, no matter how much fire it spews forth. I believe I do have temperature on, seeing as how I'm using the lazy noob pack and made it a point to leave temperature on. Is it just weak fire?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 12:51:18 am »

I don't think that fire has a "power level", but I could be wrong.
Do they have shields?

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 01:16:28 am »

Maybe they do, I've seen a few tunnel tube shields laying around in the past, but Idk if they all have them or even if wood can block fire.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 01:34:49 am »

Maybe they do, I've seen a few tunnel tube shields laying around in the past, but Idk if they all have them or even if wood can block fire.
It can.  Wooden shields behave almost identically to other shields (IMO having a featherwood shield is preferable to having an iron shield as shield quality does not seem to affect the block ability much.  and featherwood wont tire anyone using it as quickly.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 04:03:24 am »

It can.  Wooden shields behave almost identically to other shields (IMO having a featherwood shield is preferable to having an iron shield as shield quality does not seem to affect the block ability much.  and featherwood wont tire anyone using it as quickly.)

Well, if they had any, nether cap shields would block fire better.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Satlan_Leng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »

I think it might be random. I have seen only two dragons in my days. The first walked in shooting fire at anything that moved. Chard the landscape real good and did kill things if they took a hit or two. Second dragon was a diff story. It moved about 3 times faster then the last dragon(maybe a flyer?) and its breath one shot anything it hit.(It didn't make it to anyone with a shield though)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 10:01:37 am »

Speaking of fire...
Just how deadly IS magma mist? People seem to think the wiki is wrong, so...

Of course, they could fix it, so I don't know what they're whining about.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 10:23:21 am »

Build a fortification bunker. surround the bunker with raisable drawbridges. Block off the FB when you don't need it to unleash toxic death on everyone in the pit.
Except that breath attacks only work (last I heard) when the enemy is pathable, as well as just visible. So you would need to adapt something from the Fire Imp test as well, with the beastie running back and forth between triggered hatches... and if I remember rightly, buildingdestroyers destroy pressure plates. So that doesn't work at ALL.
Can the FB fly? if not rig up a machine that drops kittens into the bunker, or (If it has not tasted dwarven blood) see if you can tame it, then use captured goblin prisoners.

No, it is a land-based FB. Moreover, I don't believe it is possible to tame forgotten beasts. I don't understand why kittens are being fed to my beast in this instance, but the idea is appreciated nonetheless :)

RAWR! KITTEN!!

*breathes poison*
*poison seeps through fortifications*
*profit*
Pretty much. The kittens are bait to get the FB to breath its poison. since breath weapons are huge blasts it should go through fortifications to hit the unfortunate goblins.
An excellent way to dispose of unwanted kittens as well!  dig a pit above the forgotten beasts pen with a retracting drawbridge at the top and bottom of it. Open the top, assign animals, close the top, open the bottom, profit.  :D  It is nice because your dwarves will be unexposed to toxins(it has the benefit of being able to drop the goblins into the chamber as well.)  I would recommend always running dfcleanmap before and after you flush the room with water to make sure that you don't start a deadly pandemic among your dwarves.
dfcleanmap? What's that? Exscuse me not contributing to the topic at hand, I still don't have quite a grip on design features and the such. Working on it though :3
Pages: 1 2 [3]