Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Desiging the First Dwarven Gas-chamber  (Read 6781 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desiging the First Dwarven Gas-chamber
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:55 pm »

You could have some !!lignite!! under the gas chamber.  I think the smoke might cause internal injuries (leading to death)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:19 pm »

You could have some !!lignite!! under the gas chamber.  I think the smoke might cause internal injuries (leading to death)

Smoke doesn't do anything.
Magma mist, however, is slightly unpleasant for those on the recieving end.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:46:46 pm »

Just a tip here, I noticed the thing is made of salt.
You'll want to keep it away from marksgoblins, as it will probably explode at the first scratch.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »

An excellent way to dispose of unwanted kittens as well!  dig a pit above the forgotten beasts pen with a retracting drawbridge at the top and bottom of it. Open the top, assign animals, close the top, open the bottom, profit.  :D  It is nice because your dwarves will be unexposed to toxins(it has the benefit of being able to drop the goblins into the chamber as well.)  I would recommend always running dfcleanmap before and after you flush the room with water to make sure that you don't start a deadly pandemic among your dwarves.

"whatch'a doin' Urist?"
'why my good chap, I have the sudden urge to drop this cat into the fit of a thousand pains'
"Really? Why don't we peer down this horrific pit?"
*Both peer down*
"'AHHH!, it is The forgotten beast Ngok, who is several hundred feet below us! Let us both run away with great celerity!"'
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 05:50:09 pm »

An excellent way to dispose of unwanted kittens as well!  dig a pit above the forgotten beasts pen with a retracting drawbridge at the top and bottom of it. Open the top, assign animals, close the top, open the bottom, profit.  :D  It is nice because your dwarves will be unexposed to toxins(it has the benefit of being able to drop the goblins into the chamber as well.)  I would recommend always running dfcleanmap before and after you flush the room with water to make sure that you don't start a deadly pandemic among your dwarves.

"whatch'a doin' Urist?"
'why my good chap, I have the sudden urge to drop this cat into the fit of a thousand pains'
"Really? Why don't we peer down this horrific pit?"
*Both peer down*
"'AHHH!, it is The forgotten beast Ngok, who is several hundred feet below us! Let us both run away with great celerity!"'
I doubt he'd breath at an exploded kitten. As such you'd want to first drop it onto a retractable bridge then release it onto the beast with a nice lever pull. Plus you can get the animal placed in it's pit so the thing is reloaded well before you actually need to gas things.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »

Smoke doesn't do anything.
Magma mist, however, is slightly unpleasant for those on the recieving end.

You sure? stupid wiki =(

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »

you could always have an airlock-accessible chamber to lure the beast into after it is done mauling goblins, with a chain and a kitten in it. Once it exits the chamber, seal it off and reload the kitten-lure. (Think Jurassic Park. Maybe use mountain goats instead of kittens, so the beast gets used to killing "g"s.)

On the other side of the goblin mauling area you could have another airlock-accessible chamber set up with the same sort of lure, to get the beast to go back out and through the area. The only remaining problem is to get it to breathe on things in the interim.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:56 pm »

These are all ideas which are quite good, but I've picked up a few things from this thread that need to be confirmed:

1 - So the whole reason I'm dropping kittens into this pit is to elicit breath attacks from the beast. Well, okay, but won't the beast just attack the goblins? I was under the impression that FB's would just attack anything that came close to them... is this not true?

2 - Secondly, I am being told to just "drop" kittens into this pit to feed the beast, in addition to Goblins. How do I go about doing this? Is there a function where I can just drop goblins/animals into any pit that I assign? I know of the zone function, and I know that you can designate a "pit", but every time I've tried that, the goblins just start attacking the dwarf who is shoving them in and then don't go in the pit. Haven't tried it with animals yet.

3 - I am being told to stop the beast's movement by raising bridges. Aren't FB's powerful enough of building destroyers that they're break any bridge raised as a wall? I know they can't break bridges that are directly above or below them, but they can break bridges that are raised as walls, correct?

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »

These are all ideas which are quite good, but I've picked up a few things from this thread that need to be confirmed:

1 - So the whole reason I'm dropping kittens into this pit is to elicit breath attacks from the beast. Well, okay, but won't the beast just attack the goblins? I was under the impression that FB's would just attack anything that came close to them... is this not true?

2 - Secondly, I am being told to just "drop" kittens into this pit to feed the beast, in addition to Goblins. How do I go about doing this? Is there a function where I can just drop goblins/animals into any pit that I assign? I know of the zone function, and I know that you can designate a "pit", but every time I've tried that, the goblins just start attacking the dwarf who is shoving them in and then don't go in the pit. Haven't tried it with animals yet.

3 - I am being told to stop the beast's movement by raising bridges. Aren't FB's powerful enough of building destroyers that they're break any bridge raised as a wall? I know they can't break bridges that are directly above or below them, but they can break bridges that are raised as walls, correct?

1. Yes they would, but they can't path to the goblins, see #3. So to get the beast firing poison at something you throw in kittens.

2. You have to construct the goblins cage right next to the open pit.

3. You build a bunker of fortifications like below. then surround it with bridges, to seal the beast off so as not to frighten your dwarves. These fortification protects the bridges from its building destroyer.

FFFFF
F     F
F FB F
F     F
FFFFF
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 07:07:10 pm »

Have you tried dropping him into a Fire Imp turret?

If you get it right, put that in a closed room and drop elves in. Fun times ensue.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »

1. The problem is that the beast won't attack things though the fortifications (appearently, I've not tried it myself) unless it already has a path to the creature, due to the breath weapon functioning differently from a dwarves crossbow attack.

2. Only thieves and wild animals reliably break free from being let to a pit.
Having the cage right next to the pit helps.

3. Nothing may destroy a raised drawbridge, other than cave-ins or removal of its anchoring point.

Ninja'ed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »

3. Nothing may destroy a raised drawbridge, other than cave-ins or removal of its anchoring point.
re: 3: fairly sure I'd seen a titan whaling on a drawbridge that didn't have a moat protecting its raised "wall" form. I admit I may be misremembering and it was actually floodgates. I DO know that a FB on a deployed bridge will try to destroy it. Also, they are immune to bridge-smashing, so you can't use bridges to reliably hem them in.

Either way, in this instance the drawbridges are not what is stopping the beast from moving. The fortifications are. The bridges are to block the breath/sight-of-ugly-beast-that-scares-dwarves.

Have you tried dropping him into a Fire Imp turret?
Wont work. Reasons: FBs don't trigger pressure plates. Also, they may destroy them (thought they did, but this is in doubt).
I am curious if a "timer" logic gate could be created to swap paths to the goblins reliably enough to keep the beast in confusion. I don't know the pathing patterns well enough to know how/if that would work, however, and I also don't know what the goblins on the other side would do, and whether they might get through to the beast (sub-optimal).

Just to note: I like the using (tame, so as to not cause troubles while pitting) little fuzzy animals to trigger the breath attacks.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »

I still don't understand why I have to use one of my animals to trigger the breath attacks. Can't I just use goblins to do that?

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »

Maybe drop the goblins in a pit, then flush it with a bit of water. That way the FB can have a meal delivered and a bath at the same time. Give the FB some statues for happy thoughts and a really nice pit for extra points.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »

I still don't understand why I have to use one of my animals to trigger the breath attacks. Can't I just use goblins to do that?

Only if the goblins have direct access to the FB. If it can't reach them, it won't breathe on them. This makes all the Fortification designs useless. If you just drop the goblins in with the FB, however, means that they can reach it, and then you have the trouble of needing to move the FB every time you want to clean up/access the loot. (though my Jurassic Park inspired lure-pen is still viable)
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3