Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Teenage lesbians banned from dancing, accused of lubing up the slippery slope  (Read 7651 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now the way I understood it was that the Idea of Intelligent Design was meant to be a compromise between the two, Yahwe guided evolution. But for somereason I keep hearing 'Intelligent Design' used as just another way of saying 'Yahwe made us, no such thing as evolution'. Does anyone know why, or did I get confused somewhere along the line?

You're confused, or perhaps lied to. "Intelligent Design" is not a compromise, it's just a way for the Creation Science movement (see: Discovery Institute) to repackage creationism as a pseudo-secular, pseudoscientific theory in order to help it gain acceptance and get it into public schools. Look up the case of the textbook "Of Pandas and People"; it's an "Intelligent Design" textbook that was snuck into public school in one state. Part of the reason the courts ruled against them is that the book's publishers essentially just did a search-and-replace on "creationism" and "creationists" to "Intelligent Design" and "Intelligent Design proponents". Intelligent Design explicitly states that things about the universe/life make it obvious (that's the position, anyway) that it could not have arisen by natural means, so it's not like saying "God made us, but through natural processes" similar to the current quasi-official position of the Catholic Church.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're, no friends of mine

Say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind

We can go when we want to
Night is young and so am I
And we can dress real neat from our hats to our feet
And surprise them with a victory cry

We can dance, we can dance
Everything's out of control
We can dance, we can dance
We're doing it from pole to pole
Love, scriver~

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

Anyway, this call for an action on behalf of the student. Something like everyone inviting someone of the same gender at the formal.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We also don't vote for school boards in Australia, except if they're some weird ass snooty private school, which can generally do whatever they want and still receive public money to do it. Hell, most schools don't have a board, other than whatever officials exist within the local Department Of Education support structure, and they're there because it's their job and are employed to do it, not elected.

EDIT: Well I guess there's also things like the PTA and other such related bodies, but they're all volunteer and what political weight if any they carry within the school entirely depends on what school you're talking about.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Now the way I understood it was that the Idea of Intelligent Design was meant to be a compromise between the two, Yahwe guided evolution. But for somereason I keep hearing 'Intelligent Design' used as just another way of saying 'Yahwe made us, no such thing as evolution'. Does anyone know why, or did I get confused somewhere along the line?

You're confused, or perhaps lied to. "Intelligent Design" is not a compromise, it's just a way for the Creation Science movement (see: Discovery Institute) to repackage creationism as a pseudo-secular, pseudoscientific theory in order to help it gain acceptance and get it into public schools. Look up the case of the textbook "Of Pandas and People"; it's an "Intelligent Design" textbook that was snuck into public school in one state. Part of the reason the courts ruled against them is that the book's publishers essentially just did a search-and-replace on "creationism" and "creationists" to "Intelligent Design" and "Intelligent Design proponents". Intelligent Design explicitly states that things about the universe/life make it obvious (that's the position, anyway) that it could not have arisen by natural means, so it's not like saying "God made us, but through natural processes" similar to the current quasi-official position of the Catholic Church.
Not only that, but it was even shown, in a court of law, that intelligence design was just a renaming of creationism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Dover_Area_School_District

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

People can't take homosexuals yet?  Come on man.  I got you Jack.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, everyone has the right to be whatever their sex or sexual orientation or religion or other personal ideal in public, so long as it breaks no law and infringes nobody else's rights.
Arent there still countries in which it is "illegal" to be homosexual? At least there are countries in which these laws have been changed only recently.

common sense > laws. A lot.

At any rate, I'm shocked the students, parents and teachers don't stand up a lot more for those girls. Do you really want your kids to be brought up in a school led by gaybashing bigots? I certainly wouldn't.

edit: Also, great thread title. No way people aren't reading THIS thread. Ever considered a career in advertising, or news, for that matter?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Do you really want your kids to be brought up in a school led by gaybashing bigots?
Depends on the parents. Having a gay kid doesn't automatically make you open to the idea. If you're cool it makes you more accepting but it isn't going to change their belief system.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Do you really want your kids to be brought up in a school led by gaybashing bigots?
Depends on the parents. Having a gay kid doesn't automatically make you open to the idea. If you're cool it makes you more accepting but it isn't going to change their belief system.
Yep, there are large numbers of parents who do want their kids brought up in a school led by other *insert enemy type here*bashing bigots. For the same reason people bring their children to churches or other religious organizations: they want their children indoctrinated into the same belief systems they have. After all, any parent who cares about their child, and who is them self indoctrinated in a belief that says if you don't hate X you will be tortured forever along with all those X's, will try to keep their child in that belief system too.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile

God dammit why does everyone hate so.

:(
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

Meh, gay men are 'immoral' lesbians are 'hot'.
*Hugs*

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile

As a friend of mine just said: A bit Bi is nice; Too much and you`ll need some ice.

:P

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile

Being Bi doesn't mean you have twice a chance or getting laid. It means that you get twice a chance of being told "Hell no" on a Saturday night.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

Vote out the school board.
"Vote" that's a synonym for "Stab" right?
I'll get my knife. Maybe I can make a fancy hat out of one of them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8