Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Teenage lesbians banned from dancing, accused of lubing up the slippery slope  (Read 7647 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don’t really know if we’re mature enough to keep this from turning into a hurricane in a bottle of a thread. I hope we are. And I’m not sure this doesn’t just warrant a post in the rage thread but screw that thread, seriously.

Two girls have been barred from going to their formal for Year 11 because the partners they wanted to bring were each other. This pissed me off no end, because of something that happened six or so months ago.

See, I know several people from this school, and I was talking to a girl there, several girls, around about six months ago and the conversation progressed until we were talking about how two lesbians attending the school, one 15 and the other 16, were barred from going to the Year 11 formal, because the partners they wanted to bring were each other. This is last year I’m talking about. The reason given for this is that one of the girls, being 15, was in Year 10 and as such wasn’t really allowed to go. That was fair enough, I thought, and then a thought occurred to me, and I asked how many Year 10 boys were at the formal. Apparently, a whole lot. A hell of a lot, actually. And, this time around, the excuse is the same and the facts are the same, going by several friends I’ve been in contact with – there were a lot of Year 10 boys at this formal. The second excuse, one I did not hear several months ago, was that the point of the formal was to promote co-educational relationships to help build team-work and form ties between the schools and blah-de-blah-de-blah which, apart being an excuse pulled from so far up the ass it’s dripping stomach acid, is basically admitting to the fact that this was an event where homosexuals were not welcome because they’re not promoting synergy. And, on top of that, the Principle’s other defence was ridiculous, apparently running on slippery slope logic and claiming that the all-important synergy they’ve worked so hard for would come crashing down if they allowed same-sex partners to attend the dance because then all the girls would take other girls. To the formal. Which is a free ticket to make-out sessions with your girlfriends before, during and afterwards and a time where if you don't have a boyfriend or if a guy doesn't have a girlfriend, you stop pussyfooting around and ask someone out, quick. Because it's a goddamn formal.

What I’m saying is, this isn’t an isolated incident. These girls only got noticed because they openly resisted it, unlike the couple last year who were either too scared or shy to fight back. Whether or not you think that last link is dubious, by the way, is up to you, since it involves the Greens and politicians getting involved will always be dubious to someone, but my school, also a private Catholic school, has several teachers who actively try and scare kids off being homosexual, citing bullying, the amount of homosexual who commit suicide or are the victims of homicides, some bullshit about AIDS I happened to overhear when I was walking past and how you can never have sex because sex is for marriage and gays can’t be married. Why? I was actually told to shut up and get back to work when I asked that. The teachers in question claim to be supportive, but do everything they can to convince kids not to come out until they're out of College. You know, away from them and presumably fornicating with the devil anyway at that point. Homophobia directed towards teenagers by both students and staff isn’t an issue getting tackled and it should be and I’m really pissed about it.

Here’s where I tell you to feel free to share your thoughts, but if you needed my approval you wouldn’t be on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:12:49 am by Jackrabbit »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I wish I had something more to say besides that this is horrible. But that's really the long and short of it, isn't it? This is horrible.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

I need a new desk. My face just ruined this one.

What's worse is that despite living in this very same bloody city, I hadn't heard anything about this until this thread.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Melbournian? Huh, I didn't know that. Cool. Yeah, the reason this struck a chord with me, apart from a) it affecting me directly and b) being horrible was the fact that this happened before, at the same school and quite probably others. Seriously, I am seething.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm sorry, you have to change the title. This is terrible, but all I can think about are slippery teenage lesbians now.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

Vote out the school board.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, you have to change the title. This is terrible, but all I can think about are slippery teenage lesbians now.

I spent like ten minutes throwing around words like inter-office co-dependency and synergy and wrestling with the character limit, this is too good a metaphor to pass up.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile

Vote out the school board.
"Vote" that's a synonym for "Stab" right?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well.  :-\ I don't have much to say except that its down right immoral and, to some degree, breaks elements of human rights.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep hearing about these "human rights" but never see a document regarding just what the hell they are. I think they're like traffic laws in Cancun, where the officer pulls you over to tell you that you've made an illegal lane change and there's a $100 fine, but don't worry, no need to go to the jail for all the paperwork.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I keep hearing about these "human rights" but never see a document regarding just what the hell they are. I think they're like traffic laws in Cancun, where the officer pulls you over to tell you that you've made an illegal lane change and there's a $100 fine, but don't worry, no need to go to the jail for all the paperwork.
Wait you mean that officer wasn't completely honest and forthright with me?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, a five second Google search turned up this, but I'm not sure how much it's changed since then. Presumably the 1948 document is now just the foundations of today's conceptions of human rights. I should go look that up, sounds interesting.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

"It says here on this Human Rights document I done found on googlin.com that I have the right to all the money in that thur vault on account of its what I need ta be happeh."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Article 16.
•(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
•(2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
•(3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Oh. My. God.

I just had a conservigasm.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feel free to discuss that in another thread but as marriage wasn't the issue here, it's not a topic I'd like to get sidetracked into.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8