Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bodypart relations... fun stuff.  (Read 1364 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Bodypart relations... fun stuff.
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »

So, I was working on getting my armor men working again after an update come along that made them do some rather strange things.

In the proces I did an expiriment with bodypart relations, as one of many attempts to get the game to understand the armor men should be hollow. The idea was to make a 'air' bodypart, and tell the game the armor bodyparts should go around that. The same things skulls and brains use.

However, I didnt want any combat messages like 'the armor man hits the armor man, fracturing the air!' so I named the air tissue 'leather backing'.

Result was something that truely only happen in dwarf fortress, namely:

Quote from: game logs
Armor Man 2 bashes Armor Man 1 in the breastplate with its mace, jamming the part through the greaves, jamming the greaves through the helmet, jamming the helmet through the right gauntlet, jamming the right gauntlet through the left gauntlet, jamming the left gauntlet through the leather backing and tearing the leather backing!

I can only immagine this as poor armor man 1 being completely pancaked, and indeed all the bodyparts mentioned were red.

Just thought this was entertaining and posted it. But if anyone has a less... quirky solution for this, that would be quite welcome.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bodypart relations... fun stuff.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:07 am »

So, hang on. You're not using TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER for the "air"? You could make the armoured parts regular tissues and make the "air" a gas layer under those.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:27:31 am »

So, hang on. You're not using TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER for the "air"? You could make the armoured parts regular tissues and make the "air" a gas layer under those.

I think his point was that he didn't want "air" to show up in the combat messages.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:49:22 am »

Yeah, that. Tried TISSUE_LAYER_UNDER but it just wouldnt stop showing weird messages and descriptions and yielding weird things when butchered.

The gas layers were worse, making the creature bellow visible clouds of 'air' every time something hit it.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:19:55 am »

For my 'hollow' creature I filled them with water and justified it as being from living in a swamp.  Being able to make things actually hollow would be nice, though I'm not sure it would actually be functionally different than just giving them spindly thin limbs.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:31:09 am »

Quote from: game logs
Armor Man 2 bashes Armor Man 1 in the breastplate with its mace, jamming the part through the greaves, jamming the greaves through the helmet, jamming the helmet through the right gauntlet, jamming the right gauntlet through the left gauntlet, jamming the left gauntlet through the leather backing and tearing the leather backing!
Wait.

So, essentially, its chest was jammed through its feet, which were jammed through its head, which was then jammed through its right hand, then that was jammed through the left hand which was finally jammed through the leather backing.

Are you sure that's ordered right?
くコ:彡

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »

...Wow.
That is crazy.
That is Dwarf Fortress.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.