Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: baa baa black sheep  (Read 4205 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Antibiotics
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »

Your not going to get "Less" antibotic use in a system that survives through constant consumption without outside interference.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 11:23:04 pm »

The title of the article is a gross exaggeration. The existence of antibiotic resistant bacteria does not mean that all, or even most, bacterian infections will be produced by them.
Also, fun fact the article doesn't bother mentioning: once you reduce the usage of an antibiotic for a period of time, resistances go down again.

That's not sensationalist though.

Also, that would require moderation.
In other words, the complete opposite of what the US media likes to print.

Or, as in this case, the UK media. ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 11:23:33 pm »

Probably applies to most media now that I think about it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 11:25:18 pm »

Also: inb4 some poster mistakes antiseptic soap with antibiotics and starts raving about how the soap industry is at fault for this new doom that the press just informed us of and is totally and definitedly not exaggerated beyond reason like SARS and Pig Flu were.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:50 pm »

Are you implying that triclosan usage isn't a problem in any way? It is an antibacterial agent, resistance is possible (as far as I know), and you can't really say it's not overused in the household, where there's damn little justification for it, especially in things like soap.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:30:41 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:26 pm »

But I LIKE my hands to be free of bacteria! Soap makes me feel safe!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:40 pm »

I learned that triclosan in most antiseptic hand soaps can accumulate in tissues and cause infertility. I can attest that they failed, utterly in spite of high risk application methods.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »

I learned that triclosan in most antiseptic hand soaps can accumulate in tissues and cause infertility. I can attest that they failed, utterly in spite of high risk application methods.
Did you just obliquely mention washing your junk? Hat's off to you sir, good show.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:46:12 pm »

Are you implying that triclosan usage isn't a problem in any way? It is an antibacterial agent, resistance is possible (as far as I know), and you can't really say it's not overused in the household, where there's damn little justification for it, especially in things like soap.
http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/ssc/out269_en.pdf

The SSC therefore concludes that there is no convincing evidence that Triclosan poses
an risk to humans or to the environment by inducing or transmitting antibacterial
resistance under current conditions of use.
This was done two years after the appaerance of the first articles. Another article, a review from 2006, points out that while it's worth keeping an eye on it because of the potential risk, the evidence in favor of triclosan-induced doom is fairly limited.
This is a google search for relevant articles. While there is some correlation, I've not seen any that paint it as a public health risk in the making. They do highlight that it should be kept an eye on, though
http://scholar.google.es/scholar?start=10&q=triclosan+resistance&hl=es&as_sdt=2000&as_ylo=2003&as_vis=1

Plus worth noting that this was supposed to be used as a cleaning agent to begin with (in fact, the first article I linked states that it was first used as a public cleaning agent, before being used in clinical settings). Any complications would have risen anyway. If anything, I daresay the fact that even after mass usage it's not generating problems, speaks in its favor.

Also: now you owe me your lunch money.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:59:31 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:53 am »

Resistance is futile
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 12:05:50 am »

Did you just obliquely mention washing your junk? Hat's off to you sir, good show.
I have no idea what you are talking about and find the very suggestion repulsive.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

I thought he was talking about using it as a method of lubrication for when his wife (that he has) isn't around.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:13 am »

Bitches don't know about my medical bacteriophages.

Also, no need to completely lose your shit.  In case you didn't notice, we've spent like 99% of history without antibiotics.
Taking from this wiki article there has been around 100 to 115 billion people alive since history started.  We'll use an average of 107.5 billion people.  Currently only 6,880,500,000 people are alive right now.

Thanks to not having antibiotics 94% of people are DEAD.  DEAD.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 12:13:13 am »

That's pretty fucking scary to think that six percent of ALL HUMANS EVERYWHERE AND AT ALL TIMES are alive right now.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 12:13:49 am »

Bitches don't know about my medical bacteriophages.

Also, no need to completely lose your shit.  In case you didn't notice, we've spent like 99% of history without antibiotics.
Taking from this wiki article there has been around 100 to 115 billion people alive since history started.  We'll use an average of 107.5 billion people.  Currently only 6,880,500,000 people are alive right now.

Thanks to not having antibiotics 94% of people are DEAD.  DEAD.

We need some extensive medical breakthroughs to make sure we don't die too!
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6