Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two bugs, same map: Muddy Unknown and "A Large .&q  (Read 2538 times)

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two bugs, same map: Muddy Unknown and "A Large .&q
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

Two bugs to report from the same map, one bug much simpler than the other.  Let's start with the hard one.  I should note that I was experimenting with creature editing, and had added a single custom creature to this world.  I also edited the maximum number of dwarves to 300, instead of 200.  I have since reverted to a clean install of Dwarf Fortress, but still have the save file and the object data for this map; if they are of any interest.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-596

Okay.  I had a pool, kinda kidney-shaped.  I built a loose defensive wall around my fortress on the surface, and built it around the pool too.  I dug some channels to square up the pool a little, and then dug some ramps around the edges -- including on the right side, where there was just a -little- bit of free space.  I figured it couldn't hurt.  The ramps were also supposed to make the pool dwarf-friendly, in case anyone fell in.  Now, I dug these ramps in winter, and the pool looked normal at this point.  Then, spring thaw hit.

The water overflowed the edges of the pool; creating muddy ground in most areas within 1 square of the pool.  I can't remember if it flowed any further, but I don't see any mud, so I don't think it did.  Around this point I got curious, so I went in and found a couple of squares that now classified as "unknown" -- despite having been normal ice a minute ago, and the fact they're surrounded by a bunch of perfectly accessible spaces.  Now, this isn't the part that confused me.

I just...   "Muddy unknown"??

Bug #2:

It's simpler, because I have no idea how it happened.  I was reviewing my stocks, and noticed it in the stocks section.   I apparently have "a Large ." gem in my large gems section.  You've probably seen variants on this before, but I couldn't find any direct matches. http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-601

Lastly, a question..
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.  Is there a reason Dwarves would prefer to eat in the food stockpiles, as opposed to the dining room?

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Wirrit ]

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Wirrit ]

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two bugs, same map: Muddy Unknown and "A Large .&q
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:33:00 am »

I think Toady's already figured out the "A large ." bug, hopefully will be fixed with the first release of the army arc. The eating in food stockpile, I've noticed dwarves tend to do that more when the dining room is further away from the food stockpile, so not sure if it's buggy or just that dwarves are lazy.

Now, that unknown deal ... Yeah, that's pretty odd. In no way at all should a square that was known become unknown.

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

"A large ." might not be a bug. Perhaps your miners became so skilled they managed to extract the very essence of ASCII itself. Your gemcutter then painstakingly cut it into a large, perfect sphere - "A large .".

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

I noticed the eating thing as well.  My food stockpile of prepared food is directly next to a dinning room.  Rarely do they use a table/chair.  If I don't have too many they'll complain about a lack of chairs, but if I add more they still don't use them (but they stop complaining).

Setting the dinning room as a meeting hall on/off does not seem to impact this issue.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Wirrit: Upload the savefile for the game in question somewhere so toady can look at it. (Entire ReigionX directory for that fortress, zipped or rar'ed or 7zipped)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

Make certain that the tables aren't already in use. You should set up your dining room so that each table has one chair that's adjacent to it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

Here's my typical setup for a dining room (minus doors..durf):

code:

########
#......#
#.cTTc.#
#.cTTc.#
#.cTTc.#
#.cTTc.#
#.cTTc.#
#.cTTc.#
#......#
########

With c being Chair and T table.. (obviously).

One table is used to designate the dining room.

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Regarding the dining room --  View this map, and compare it to the floor directly above the dining room.  ( http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-5297-granddininghallrenovations  ).  There is one chair per table (with very few exceptions -- which are because I was trading out some of the furniture in the room in favor of all-obsidian furniture), and they are arranged sensibly.  Some Dwarves -are- eating in there.  But the vast majority are eating in the pantry which is directly -above- the dining room by 1 Z-level.

Regarding the save data...  As said in the initial post, Since I -was- using a slightly modded world (and thus, it's entirely possible that I screwed things up myself somehow) I don't know for certain that he'd want it.  Thus, I'm waiting until it's actively requested for debugging purposes before uploading it.  I don't want to upload it if I don't know he'll want it, because I don't want to be rude to my webpage's bandwidth unless I have to.

I have heard of the filedepot and might register there to share this one file, but I'm not sure about that yet.  If/when I decide to register there, I'll upload the file and link to it then.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

I have no idea what's going on with the unknown square, but I think prying the numeric value for that square out of the save might help me out.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and those new objects that were added to the raw folder (if using standard DF gives you a load crash).  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  The Dwarf Fortress File Depot you mentioned has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wirrit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:51:09 pm »

Had some trouble posting this (all of it user error), so pardon how long it took me to add this link.  You'll find the save at ( http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=243 ).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:14 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!