Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: <curses> foiled again!  (Read 687 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
<curses> foiled again!
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:37 pm »

Hey guys, I was trying to write a utility in C++ for making schematics and such, and I wanted to get a semi-grapical interface.  The key thing there is being able to take input without waiting for the user to press enter, and after looking it up I'm pretty sure the <curses> library is what I want (and if I'm not mistakes, curses is used in DF's code as well).  The problem is, none of the compilers at my college have the curses library!  So, I was wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me how I can either include curses in the header file (if that's even where it needs to go) or work with a different form of TUI or even GUI.

And for those who don't know, TUI (Terminal User Interface) is what we currently use in DF, where you move the cursor the cursor keys ::) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) is where you use a mouse to click buttons.  Personally, I would rather have a TUI for my program, because I think it looks cooler; besides, I'm pretty sure that a GUI will be harder to program.

The program I'm writing will be called DFSB, (DF Schematic Builder) and it's purpose is to help with designing dwarven calculators and other megaprojects.  Besides for being able to quickly make picture diagrams, I intend for it to also be able to provide ascii art images for the forums and wiki; be able to use all the custom graphic tilesets that DF can; import screenshots and compressed maps and interpret the images, even if they are in one of said custom tilesets; perhaps even read strait from save files!

So, if any of you know how the data strings for .bmp, .png, .fdf-map, .dat and/or .sav files are organized, then could you please tell me?  Any way of reading .dat would be doubly helpful, because another project idea of mine was to make a Legends Reader, but Toady hasn't finished the XML dump yet. (Nor is it likely that he will in the near future.)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.