Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catapult Modding: MagmaPult  (Read 1172 times)

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catapult Modding: MagmaPult
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:44 am »

I have little to no modding experience, but I was thinking it would be fun to mod a catapult that must be built over magma access like a magma forge, which then throws a tile of magma. I've read some threads about doing this with drawbridges and such, but I would like an actual dedicated building.

How feasible is this and where exactly would I have to start?
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Re: Catapult Modding: MagmaPult
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:01 pm »

To my knowledge, siege engines can't be modded yet. Sorry.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:51:39 pm »

The All Guardsmen Party

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »

You could mod in a stone that explodes at standard body temperature. If it hits anything living the rock will explode. Though you'll have to be careful to equip all your haulers with gloves lest FUN ensues.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:50:22 pm »

Mostly I was envisioning a catapult with the spoon thingy filled with magma throwing what amounted to an incendiary shotgun spray. While exploding rocks could be amusing I was mostly keen on the magmapult idea because it seems like something you would do with a catapult and easily accessible magma.

Also this reminds me of:
Urist was exiled from his ancestral homeland following his "research" of magic. It consisted of him stealing the nation's only pair of adamantine gauntlets, and using it to throw magma at random dwarves while shouting "FIREBALL! FIREBALL!".

The All Guardsmen Party

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:53:24 pm »

Maybe you could try modding in a wagon creature that has [FIREBREATH].

If you can't find a utility to spawn one for you, you can at least watch and laugh the next time a caravan wanders into an ambush... :P

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:41 pm »

If heat transfer worked better, you might be able to make your catapult parts out of a material with high fixed temp and your stones out of one with low specific heat, which would make them melt when they were put in the catapult.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well heat transfer works right now.  Anyone have a moment to run some tests?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:35 pm »

Catapult>Magmapult>Exploding-rock-catapult>Vanilla catapult.  8)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:14 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to have a building simply impart velocity to whatever object is given to it. Bucket of lava = flying bucket of lava. Caged cat = flying caged cat. I imagine something like this could provide great entertainment.

The All Guardsmen Party

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »

I wonder if it is possible to have a building simply impart velocity to whatever object is given to it. Bucket of lava = flying bucket of lava. Caged cat = flying caged cat. I imagine something like this could provide great entertainment.

the legendary Dwarven Linear Accelerator

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:39 am »

the legendary Dwarven Linear Accelerator
Its called a drawbridge...   :P

...For some strange reason I sense !!SCIENCE!! is imminent...  ???
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:27:24 pm »

Actually I was thinking about using drawbridges to launch stuff around, and need to figure out the best way to use them to elevate things.  Could someone do some tests?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 06:33:50 am »

That certain building is called, scientifically, railgun.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:53 am »

Actually I was thinking about using drawbridges to launch stuff around, and need to figure out the best way to use them to elevate things.  Could someone do some tests?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42111.msg769338#msg769338
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.