Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.  (Read 7702 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:05 pm »

I like where you're going with this--ANYTHING forbidden under Sharia law is therefore now legal in Oklahoma. Tulsa and Stillwater are the new Sodom and Gomorrah.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »

Fun's fun, but the amendment was obviously illegal because it also specified "international law" as something else not to consider. What's another good name for an international law? A treaty. Which is the sole Constitutional domain of the federal government.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »

Wait, what? It looks like the context of "international law" was in its consideration by courts in making decisions (usually a hot-button topic for conservatives when the Supreme Court does it). Not saying that they're not bound by treaties, but rather that they should not take foreign rulings on similar cases into account.

Which is a stance I disagree with, but can understand. It's at least more of a marginally existent problem than the threat of the Sooner State becoming the Sunni State.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »

Treaties are actually specified by name. Here's the actual text.

Reference

This measure amends the State Constitution. It changes a section that deals with the courts of this state. It would amend Article 7, Section 1. It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases. It forbids courts from considering or using international law. It forbids courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

International law is also known as the law of nations. It deals with the conduct of international organizations and independent nations, such as countries, states and tribes. It deals with their relationship with each other. It also deals with some of their relationships with persons.

The law of nations is formed by the general assent of civilized nations. Sources of international law also include international agreements, as well as treaties.

Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed.

Shall the proposal be approved?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »

Yeah, that's the text I read too. I don't see how that could be interpreted to mean "all international treaties are null and void in the state of Oklahoma".

Especially in the explicit reliance on Federal law, which typically must conform to international treaties (at least ones that we've signed and ratified). I mean, the whole thing is worded poorly but I just don't see it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:16 pm »

Wait, what is the issue with this? Maybe bigoted to point out Sharia Law in perticuler but is this not already covered under the first amendment?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »

People are usually clever in their field. Out of it, not so much.
The advantage of democracy coupled with respect of individual freedom is that the system, while still powerful enough to function, cannot harm the citizen too much.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »

Just throwing it out there. The ONLY pirpose of the government is to protect the rights of the citizen. Anyhig else invites corruption. To hear a more eloquent explanation of my ideals read some Ayn Rand or visit this website:
http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index
I am now open for debate.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »

I now present Zrk2 with the November "Balls Out" award.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2010, 06:49:12 pm »

The point of the government is to govern.

Blam.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:18 pm »

So profound.  Thanks for contributing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »

Just throwing it out there. The ONLY pirpose of the government is to protect the rights of the citizen. Anyhig else invites corruption. To hear a more eloquent explanation of my ideals read some Ayn Rand or visit this website:
http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index
I am now open for debate.
So, you like the idea of having no roads?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:06 pm »

So profound.  Thanks for contributing.

*bows*
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »

The Sociology of the Ayn Rand Cult by Murray N. Rothbard

Ayn Rand was hardly one to talk about corruption, even ignoring the fact that modern capitalism has as its central premise "but what if like, everyone was corrupt, then like, no one would be maaaan". Governments at least have to pretend they're not corrupt, and do things to help their constituents even if only for the sake of PR. Businesses need only make money, and pay off/own the media to keep up a good image, not counting their propensity for just killing their detractors/workers that want a few pennies more an hour/not to be killed by unsafe machines, see the 19th and early 20th century USA, and later outsourced American industry in third world countries.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12