Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: USB headsets are crap...  (Read 1463 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
USB headsets are crap...
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:06 am »

I've gotten three USB headsets over maybe the last five years, all because the last one stopped working.  This latest one lasted the longer in that it didn't stop working outright for a long time, it just worked fine for about a year and then after that you had to move the cord into some weird way for it to work.  It got progressively worse over the next few hears and just now while I was playing Men of War Assault Squad I shook my head slightly and suddenly the piece of crap wouldn't work again no matter how much I jiggled the cord...  Meanwhile I've had the same speakers for about the same amount of time as I've had my computer case and they've worked fine the whole time.  I don't think I even bought them new.

Of course I need a headset to play online and late at night, so if anyone knows a model that doesn't crap out after a single year I'd love to hear about it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:53:09 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: USB headsets are crap...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:14:20 am »

When you say headset, do you mean:
-Microphone
-headphones
-A combination of the above

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:25 am »

I think that's a problem with headsets in general, not just USB. I've gone through a slew of headsets over the last several years, mostly because I'd accidentally roll over the cord with my chair and get the cord tangled, or stand up quickly and not realize the cord was under a chair arm or something and have it nearly rip the headset in half. Headsets with mic attachments seem to be even more prone to failure.

You get what you pay for: I've slagged a half dozen cheap plastic headsets, so I finally ponied up and bought a heavy duty Bose headset without a mic and it's lasted a couple of years now, even with cord abuse.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:43:59 am »

I pay around 40 ils (~10 dollars) for headphones every few months, I find the cheaper ones last quite a bit (4-8 months, maybe more), and they can easily be replaced.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:20:09 pm »

I can never seem to find headsets that I entirely like or that entirely work correctly, USB or not.  My last one was practically dangerous to wear, the plastic part that went around my head had a sharp plastic edge that dug into my ears.  I used red electrical tape to smooth it out, but the tape would often lose its stickyness and fall off.  My current ones are good, but the earpieces press so hard against my head that I actually get headaches.  And these were the $30 ones.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »

Yeah I paid like thirty dollars or so for this logitech thing.  It worked fine for about a year.  It wasn't even some trauma I caused it that made the thing start acting funky.  It's just one day it wouldn't work properly unless you held the cord in a very specific way.  I'm talking specifically about headset mics.  Generally the mic keeps working fine long after the speaker part gives up the ghost though.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

I have two of these Cyber Acoustics stereo headsets (headphone/mic combo) that we got for maybe $30 apiece. I've had them for...6? 7 years? Moderate-to-heavy use and they still work fine.
The sound quality has always seemed good to me, too. My only complaints are that they give me minor headaches if I wear them for hours on end and they have no volume adjuster.

They're not USB though. And I can't point you to the exact model since I don't know the model number and they probably don't even sell them anymore.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:47:40 pm »

I dropped my headset one day, causing the left speaker to drop to 30% functionality.  I have no idea how that is possible.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:35 pm »

I haven't ever had a headset last a year. Either I buy a cheap one which starts crapping out with one and then eventually both speakers stopping working or else buy a more expensive one which lasts until I tear it in half by accidentally pulling it while the wire's caught on something. My record on short-lived headsets is my most recent one which didn't even last a week before I tripped over the wire. :/
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »

man, what are you guys doing to these headsets.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »

Typically I walk away while it's plugged into my computer, or I move to far away while it's caught on something.  Both cases cause it to bodily fling itself at my desk or the floor.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »

The problem is that when you move around, the wires flex and eventually metal fatigue just causes them to break -- much like how you can flex a stiff piece of metal or plastic back and forth and get it to break on the line.

So your computer speakers?  Yeah, those wires NEVER move.  Of course it's going to last forever.  Your headset, on the other hand?  Moving all the time.  I got a nice set of headphones that cost ~$30, and they lasted 8 months, I got a $3 pair of earbuds and they lasted 6 months.  So I just get earbuds.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »

I've owned the same headphones for a couple years now, treat them kind of bad, and I've never had any problems. I have no idea what you guys are doing to be ruining copper wire that easily.

Regarding headsets, is it possible to just buy the headphones and microphone separately? You'd probably get much better headphones that way.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 10:46:23 pm »

I have a wireless set

and while SOMETIMES it is working perfectly... othertimes it is a total pain

Especially since if I am not listening to music all the time and I leave it on... It goes all static and can kill your ears.

It also can get odd static from just about anything from phones, USB internet cards, and even (I kid you not) soda cans

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 11:01:05 pm »

My current headsets seem to last like 2 & half months before an ear goes out, it got to a point where I just got the bestbuy year warranty on them and every time they fry I get a new set.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2