Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to rant about The Walking Dead  (Read 1142 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
I want to rant about The Walking Dead
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:28:07 pm »

So I've read and loved the comic series up until 50-something and plan on picking it up again soon.  It's one of my favorites.  I was pretty excited about AMC's adaptation of it.  Not anymore.  I feel the same way I do about most adaptations, and I really need to stop getting hopefully suckered in by these things.  I always get burned. 

It just doesn't seem like they have much respect for the source material.  They're completely changing the feel of it by bludgeoning the viewer with a merciless drama hammer from the very first moment.  They're multiplying the drama of every single plot point x100 and severely altering the portrayal of every character for the sake of drama.

Let me just cut to some uncensored nerd rage.  My list of complaints so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What really makes me sad is I appear to be alone in my criticism.  I've done some searching for other fans of the comic to trash it, and can find nothing.  Very disappointed.

I can understand the need to expand the story to make a tv show, but I don't understand why this has to involve a fully opposite approach to the style and pacing of the story and complete reinvention of almost every character.  Occassionally stealing a visual directly from a comic panel does not alone make an adaptation faithful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I want to rant about The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:47:46 pm »

I honestly don't know what to think. I've only read up to the end of the first "book compilation" of the comics, but that's still far past the point the show is at. While there are acceptable breaks that need to be made with any adaptation, I don't know if I should side with you or not. I was certainly worried that they would screw it up, though. My father is absolutely in love with the comics, but he has voiced no complaints about the adaptation so far.

It does seem that the new mini-group that Glenn was found with aren't just Red Shirts, however, as the preview for the next episode focuses on

I still think it's too early to pass judgement on this one just yet though. A few more episodes and I'll make a stance on it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:05 am »

I think you haven't been watching enough other AMC dramas up to this point. If you had, you would have known that:

It just doesn't seem like they have much respect for the source material.  They're completely changing the feel of it by bludgeoning the viewer with a merciless drama hammer from the very first moment.  They're multiplying the drama of every single plot point x100 and severely altering the portrayal of every character for the sake of drama.

Was in the cards. Mad Men? Breaking Bad? Rubicon? Hellloooooo?

Although I agree on some points. I've never read the books but:

and

Both struck me as over-written for the sake of drama. Especially~

I'm enjoying the show. But AMC's directorial formula is starting to show a lil bit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:07:29 pm »

I think you haven't been watching enough other AMC dramas up to this point. If you had, you would have known that:

I very rarely watch TV.  I don't even watch many movies.  Maybe 2 or 3 a month.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:33:34 pm »

I'm as much a comic book nerd as the next guy, but things like this always amuse me. Comic fans are perfectly willing to accept 'alternate universes' in comics, but the instance you take something into the closest actual approximation of an alternate universe - an alternative medium - they're all up in arms about how it isn't being faithful and ruins the 'mood' of the comic.

I've read all the way up to the end of the

of the comics, and I've been hearing good reviews of the series as a stand-alone Zombie Apocalypse drama. Haven't seen it myself, and am unlikely to until it comes out on DVD, so maybe it really is just terrible. But whether you like it or not, it's still Walking Dead. Just... in Universe 10928-1, or whatever.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

I think it's an honesty issue.  Comic author says "this is an alternate universe thing because we want some creative liberty" and fans know what to expect.  It's the same with a franchise reboot.  You know there's going to be some re-imagining and can go into it thinking "this is ____ 2.0"  It just makes is easier to mentally separate the works.

But then tv show comes out plainly labeled as "The Walking Dead", and personally I expect to see "The Walking Dead".  The two works begin channeling into the same memory feed in my mind and having this destructive battle.  When I recall the first issue of the comic, I want to remember Morgan Jones as this friendly guy, but that then gets interrupted by my visual recollection of the tv show with a panicked sweatball Morgan Jones constantly pointing a gun at the camera.  Suddenly it's hard to enjoy either work. 

If it were simply sold as "we're rebooting The Walking Dead" or

"we liked The Walking Dead and wanted to do something like it so we made our own story with lots of similarities but had the courtesy to rename all the characters and such"

I would not have so much of a problem with this.

I think I should just stop watching adaptations of any literature that I'm already familiar with.  There have been a few that were absolutely incredible, and managed to act as a compliment to the source material (Scott Pilgrim vs the World, the first couple Harry Potter movies, and Silent Hill to name a few).  They're just so vastly outnumbered by the adaptations that ruin things for me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight