Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast Killing The Easy Way  (Read 3917 times)

Magitrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast Killing The Easy Way
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:52:02 pm »

I've been playing the same fortress for a while now, and after a few days of playing it, a tarantula like forgotten beast appeared. I wasn't particularly worried, as my staircase had pierced the cavern it was in through the ceiling. As I dug further down, I found a magma sea and began to set up a magma metal processing facility. Unfortunately, since the cavern obstructed my main staircase, I had to dig a tunnel to the east in order to continue a new downward staircase. My one mistake was not to cover over the old staircase. After a few  more days, I start getting an "Urist McScaredypants cancels brew alcohol, interrupted by forgotten beast". I looked around and realized that the forgotten beast had come quite close to the end of the old staircase exposed to the cavern, and was scaring away half my dwarves further down into the ground, unable to get back to my main fortress. I tried all means of escape, but water from another underground cavern prevented me from digging a newer stairway. It looked as if I would have to sacrifice half my fortress to this forgotten beast, Ngogngo. After a little while of waiting, I notice something, Urist Matatis, one of my new crossbowdwarves had gotten stuck down there too. Suddenly I started getting new combat reports, it took me a few moments to understand exactly what was going on: Urist Matatis was firing at the abomination with my finest iron bolts through the staircase, quite a sight to behold! And so on that day he got his first kill: Ngogngo the forgotten beast, d. 7

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast Killing The Easy Way
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »

Brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

It's too bad forgotten beasts are so hit-and-miss right now; you can't really feel good about killing them since some are about as tough as papier maché.  But on the other hand, a few of them are real fortress killers (mostly through syndromes), which means that there's that little excitement every time one shows up (at least until you've checked their description).
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:25:35 pm »

Lucky for you it couldn't fly.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 01:16:21 pm »

I'm sorry, but Ngogngo sounds like a fast food restaurant.

Welcome to Ngog N' Go! Two Ngogn Biscuits for only one gold piece!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »

If you really want to be safe from FBs, it's possible to fortify off the entire underground, one cavern at a time.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:10:12 pm »

All things below ground, and the things above ground, can be improved with one thing, and that is magma. Or lava, in the case of aboveground things.

I suggest that to protect yourself from monsters, or just for fun, really, you should flood the caverns with molten rock from below. It's the only way to be sure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:14 pm »

I'm sorry, but Ngogngo sounds like a fast food restaurant.

Welcome to Ngog N' Go! Two Ngogn Biscuits for only one gold piece!

This is a Ngogn Burrito. Beware its deadly gas!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:22 pm »

Brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

It's too bad forgotten beasts are so hit-and-miss right now; you can't really feel good about killing them since some are about as tough as papier maché.  But on the other hand, a few of them are real fortress killers (mostly through syndromes), which means that there's that little excitement every time one shows up (at least until you've checked their description).

The main problem is the game doesn't replicate creatures who are "so weak" they are tough well at all. Or rather creatures made of Sand, Water, Dust, or Fire are weak.

A creature made of dust is as easy to defeat as a dust bunny.