Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Strike the Earth!  (Read 32987 times)

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth! Migrants Welcome!
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:20 am »

If it is possible...may I join?  *twiddles fingers.*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I love the game so far. =]
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2011, 01:08:24 pm »

Make that... what was it, Bronze? Shortsword.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »

Okay, all migrant miners will need to learn to use the RT template on the wiki for the map. It isn't that difficult, but it takes a bit of practice to learn the organization of it and how to read it.

However, you only really need to know this to set designations. If you care what tiles you mine out, then feel free to edit the wiki to reflect that, otherwise I'll just mine out as many tiles as all the miners combined.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:18:03 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »

So, do we say for instance...

"I'll mine on floor 4 into the wesern wall"

Or "I'll mine F4 w4" for simplicity? The Wx is determined by the numpad 'compass', 4 being the 'Western' point.

I am probably being too literal or whatever, but I am excited and want to become a fun, competent and capable member of your little dwarven family. ^.^
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:16:52 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »

We set designations (|{{RT|▓|6:6:0}}) on the map, and then those get mined out every half-week. Like I said, if you don't care what tiles you mine out I can take care of marking tiles mined out, but if you do care then you need to know the wiki conventions we've been using, which is basically "look as much like DF as possible". Also, if you do this, don't delete others' designations without discussing it first.

I suppose you could vaguely say which designations you want mined out with text, and that will provide you with some control without having to learn the wiki RT template and our conventions. You could also give textual designations, but that will be a lot harder to translate over to the wiki. However, I haven't tried this yet, for the last 10 weeks I've been the only miner, so this is new for me too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:36:23 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »

I see that there's no dedicated Mason. I think I'll roll one.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »

We set designations (|{{RT|▓|6:6:0}}) on the map, and then those get mined out every half-week. Like I said, if you don't care what tiles you mine out I can take care of marking tiles mined out, but if you do care then you need to know the wiki conventions we've been using, which is basically "look as much like DF as possible". Also, if you do this, don't delete others' designations without discussing it first.

I suppose you could vaguely say which designations you want mined out with text, and that will provide you with some control without having to learn the wiki RT template and our conventions. You could also give textual designations, but that will be a lot harder to translate over to the wiki. However, I haven't tried this yet, for the last 10 weeks I've been the only miner, so this is new for me too.

Gah, I hate code in all forms, there was a reason I went into biology and not a Mathematical heavy area of science. =[
I will try to persevre. =]

Edit: Btw how do you view the designations? It comes up as a plain map to me, so I am slightly confused..:/
Wait, clicked the edit button, I now realise I am eternally incompetent and afraid, I might just leave it to you in hopes of preserving my sanity.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:47:46 pm by Innsmothe »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:44 pm »

Here's my dorf.
Gah, I hate code in all forms, there was a reason I went into biology and not a Mathematical heavy area of science. =[
Around here, about 5 of 6 People think the same way. Not counting those who do neither.

Edit: Forgot the items.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:27:16 pm by Darvi »

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

Okay, for reference, any designations (which will look like gold-brown rectangles or '#'s in said rectangles) are only on ground-3 for now.

If you aren't comfortable with code, that's fine. You can tell me roughly what you want to designate and where. You can even use [ tt ] [ /tt ] (without spaces) to make rough tables on the forums so I have a better idea. Same with where you want to mine, if that matters to you.

Also, Monk: *poke*.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2011, 12:59:06 am »

STOCKS

ANIMALS

UNIT LIST

Population of Cloisteredtombs: 8 Players, 3 NPC

Well now, I've been far too lax in actually existing online. This week, I'll blame [spins wheel] Society! It is society's fault. So, I guess I'll start in order.

Exactly how much punishment can this [zombie] take?

Zombies are kind of touch and go in 2010, since strictly speaking they don't need their blood to flow or organs to function to live. According to Toady, there is an HP system in place until undeath makes more sense, but there is virtually no information (that I found) that gives more detail than that. So, when it comes to zombies, I'm saying that you need to get most of their body broken (to the point of immobility) OR you need to sever the head. So, when fighting zombies you want slashing attacks more than blunt or piercing, because slashing attacks have a greater chance to sever limbs.

By the way, why did I use 5 sandstone?  I count one for the workshop, 3 for the 9 mugs, and 1 missing.

Short answer, because I can't count. You used FOUR sandstone.

GGAMER:

Unfortunately, Picks are much more valuable than you remembered. For example, a copper pick rings up at 44 points. Alternatively, you can bring a bit of Malachite for 6 points which can be forged at Cloisteredtombs for a Copper Pick. For the Bismuth Bronze pick, 2 pieces of Malachite, a piece of Cassiterite (6) and a piece of Bismuth (3) would run you 21 points. You'll arrive in tomorrows update. Also, got a gender on that dog?

INNSMOTHE:

Given the recent events of Cloisteredtombs, I got a good lol out of your name. Dwarven Mohawks don't faze me, although I'd stay away from open magma pools if I were you :D  As far as mining, the teletype is pretty easy to get a grasp of- basically it spaces out all your characters so they occupy the same amount of space. The button is next to the subscript button, underneath the Font Face tab. Try screwing around with it sometime, and welcome to Cloisteredtombs.

DARVI:

As a migrant, I'd like to mention that if the dog is your personal pet its free. I THINK that pets cannot be the target of jobs (train, milk, butcher)- I'll snoop around and find out one way or another. As far as your common stone, if you have no preference I'll make a table of stones that aren't brown and roll on it five times. Welcome to Cloisteredtombs, enjoy your stay.

The Map should be up to date as far as masonry is concerned- anybody continuing work on the tower will be building scaffolding to get at the roof. I also added the harvest date of the various fields, since I haven't gotten ambitious enough to reflect that countdown on the map yet. I'll be doing some more organizing of the stocks, at the very least providing a useful format for the Vendor Trash Valuable Trade Goods. All you migrants arrive tomorrow, and will be reflected in the corresponding stocks update.

FAKEEDIT: Dammit, I forgot the hospital table/coffer. I'll get it tomorrow, I need sleep now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2011, 01:57:26 am »

Are all four fields planted?

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:59 am »

I've made a small formatting fix to the masonry, but otherwise good, it is done.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2011, 05:46:07 am »

As a migrant, I'd like to mention that if the dog is your personal pet its free. I THINK that pets cannot be the target of jobs (train, milk, butcher)- I'll snoop around and find out one way or another. As far as your common stone, if you have no preference I'll make a table of stones that aren't brown and roll on it five times. Welcome to Cloisteredtombs, enjoy your stay.
Pets are always butcherable. You only have to figure out how to kill them first*g*
And it's not my really pet either, I've just taken him with me 'cause I still had points left.

The Map   should be up to date as far as masonry is concerned- anybody continuing   work on the tower will be building scaffolding to get at the roof
Ok, time to overcome my acrophobia *sweat*

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2011, 06:20:09 am »

The Map   should be up to date as far as masonry is concerned- anybody continuing   work on the tower will be building scaffolding to get at the roof

Roll to dodge the ground?  :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2011, 06:23:54 am »

Roll to dodge the ground?  :P
Nah, I'll try to block it instead. If I fail my intelligence check, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32