Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Strike the Earth!  (Read 32953 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth! Migrants Welcome!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

hum I DON'T want to be expidition leader, so someone else take it before it randoms, anyways, mountain, flux, sedimentary layer, river, forest, for my fav embark.
Also vote for The Nefarious Spike.
Nom nom nom

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

I'll nominate myself for expedition leader.  Under my rule, the fortress would build the most complicated and awesome doomsday device ever, without fail.

I vote for the Nefarious Spike as our government name.  As for a fortress name, I vote for Oddomrakust, Cloisteredtombs.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »

I second Oddomrakust, Cloisteredtombs.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

...Cloistertombs. YES.

...as doctor, I demand catacombs!

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

dandy i'll vote for Cloisteredtombs
mountain, flux, sedimentary layer, river, forest
sounds good for terrain
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:48:00 pm by Sneevil »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:32 pm »

Cloisteredtombs wins in a landslide!

And the Mechanic Modul "Tweak" Mostsilvers makes a strong case for Expedition Leader.

And now that I've stated the obvious a few times, I'll go back to DF.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 02:01:01 am »

I could go for broker. My dwarf isn't the most social, but his   attributes could be handy in negotiation (esp. focus and assertiveness).   Anyway, appraisal seems to hit novice or adequate after a single   trading session, at least when I last tested it (this afternoon). Also   added dwarf's deities to sheet.

As for biome, I vote for haunted tropical ocean, though preferably one without an aquifer (it is possible), and with a volcano.

Incidentally, are we doing 40d rules or 31.x rules for magma. That is, do we die in the heat/burn up or melt/drown?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:11:49 am by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »

VOTES:

Government Name Votes: The Nefarious Spike (3)
Expedition Leader Nominee: Modul "Tweak" Mostsilvers
Terrain Votes: 3 votes forest, 3 votes mountain, 2 votes ocean, 1 vote Volcano, 1 vote Sedimentary layer, 1 vote River, 1 vote No Aquifer, 1 vote Low Evil, 1 vote Haunted, 1 vote tropical, 1 vote arctic and 1 vote temperate. Think that's everybody. Strong showings for forests and mountains, with a push for an ocean in there too, so plan accordingly.

Thus far, the non-compatible votes are EVIL- 1 low and 1 high, and TEMPERATURE- 1 each for tropical, temperate, and arctic. In the event of a tie on the Evil vote I'll position the embark where an evil wherever meets a normal someplaceelse, and in the event of a Temperature tie I'll mix in temperate and one of the extremes. Volcano and Sedimentary layer is tricky since they don't normally go together, but doable through the interference of Site Finder Magic and, perhaps, a larger embark area than I could ever wring out of my poor laptop.

In regards to the ruleset, Shadowfury, I shall treat all rules decisions according to the current version of DF. (.17 is out, huzzah!) Bugs shall be incorporated depending on how broken/useful/hilarious they are. We all know that many bugs are actually features in disguise, after all. It is also worth noting that new features are implemented immediately and without warning. So, if there had been a pile of corpses kicking around before this current update there could have been some hilarious consequences. Not that I've heard any confirmation of any zombism/hauntings.

Oh, and one more thing...

This is an engraving of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. This engraving relates to the ascension of Kib Koganobul to the position of Broker in Cloisteredtombs.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »

So are you actually doing this in DF and using it to determine complications and other things, or is that just for the base embark? If for everything, does that mean you are building a fort specifically based on our actions?
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 09:46:33 pm »

So, anything else before embark?

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 01:38:51 pm »

yeah i've decided that hunting at night is now out of the question completely i don't want to be ripped to shreds by the cackling childeren of the night!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 02:13:04 pm »

So are you actually doing this in DF and using it to determine complications and other things, or is that just for the base embark? If for everything, does that mean you are building a fort specifically based on our actions?

Allow me to elaborate on my methodology. I'm not actually building a fortress in DF based on the actions of the players, nor am I assigning players to an existing DF fortress. Rather, I am referring to DF for rules and for random tables. When things are afoot in the fortress, I'll roll on those tables to determine what happens. For example, mining: I'm going to set you guys down on rock layers of a certain type, and when you dig through it I'll roll to see whether you hit a new type of rock. So you might be digging through mudstone and randomly hit a vein of Bituminous Coal, or at a certain depth hit the caverns, which will be generated with random features from the appropriate table. The Complications are drawn from these random tables, and might affect a single player or the fortress as a whole.

In essence, I am striving to reproduce the many possible scenarios of DF without actually limiting myself to a specific playthrough of DF. I'll also take this opportunity to say that I am not limiting YOUR actions to those that are possible in DF either. If you've got a clever idea that could realistically happen, I'll allow it even if it isn't currently supported by the current version of DF. Want to get back the artifact that those kobolds stole? Go ahead and organize a punitive expedition to Kobold Camp. I'll try to interpret such actions as extrapolations of things in DF now, or do it the way that Toady seems to plan for it to be done.

I'll utilize my meager art skillz to produce an abstract map of the embark in general, and more specific maps of the fortress itself. If you can make those maps look better, feel free, and if you are doing mass construction or digging and want it done a specific way feel free to sketch out what you want done.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Incidentally, Sneevil, I have not heard any confirmed reports of Night Creatures in Fortress Mode. They will be a risk if you leave the embark area (like in that kobold example above,) but for normal fortress operations you won't have to deal with it. That said, the fortress mode spoilers in the new version are certainly in.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »

You have arrived. After a journey from the Mountainhome into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of The Speechless Hatchets. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan just before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings ere the grizzly bears get hungry. A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Oddomrakust, Cloisteredtombs. Strike the earth!

You return to your senses around your wagon. The wagon is uncomfortably close to the edge of a 7 level cliff to the south. At the foot of the cliff is an ocean. Conveniently, the exposed cliff face lets you see the rock layers beneath you.You can see a small, barren, rocky island not far off the coast. To the north and west climbs a series of ever higher mountain peaks. You are standing on sparsely wooded, level ground between the rocky mountain to the north and the cliff to the south. Not far to the east the ground slopes sharply downward into a densely wooded area. You can see the glint of a river winding to the ocean in the distance.

In the wagon are your supplies, and surprisingly an incredibly crude, highly inaccurate map of your surroundings. At least it contains some basic biome information.

Cloisteredtombs from above:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the side:

Biome Info:

This is an engraving of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. This engraving relates to the ascension of Modul "Tweak" Mostsilvers to the position of Expedition Leader of the Nefarious Spike in Cloisteredtombs.

Well, the fortress isn't going to build itself! What are your actions for your first week? Bear in mind that these are spoilered for length, not content, and also bear in mind that you are not limited to the job suggestions; they merely indicate necessary jobs that you are well qualified to perform.

Rodicurst Onyxbone, Chief Medical Dwarf

Modul "Tweak" Mostsilver, Mechanic

Tulon Lensstream, Hunter

Fuzz Oiledsparce, Farmer

Khan Blacklight, Metalsmith

Vismil Blackhoof, Hammerdwarf

Kib Koganobul, Miner

I'll have a stocks screen soon. You can claim anything as personal property; unless specifically stated, however, everything belongs to everyone if not currently in use.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:22:31 pm by monk12 »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48:20 pm »

If any suitable underground farmland is mined out within the first week, I start planting.
If there is none, I start on an above ground farm with seeds from gathering nearby plants.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2010, 10:02:32 pm »

I begin digging. A small map of my proposed dig designations(+ doesn't mean smooth, it is just easier to read than a series of ▒'s):

Ground level
Code: [Select]
···
···
▼▼▼

Ground-1 (up ramps for connection reference)
Code: [Select]
  ++++++++
  ++++++++
  ++++++++
  ++++++++
     ++
+++++++++
+++++++++
▲▲▲++++++
    +   +
   +++ +++
   +++ +++
   +++ +++

If it makes a difference, I'll do the 3x3 sections first, and the ground level stuff will be done first, with unnecessary ramps removed afterwards. The channeling should be done somewhere near the side of the nearest slope/cliff to the north, where The Dutiful Barb meets with The Future Jungles. Eventually we may be able to use a bridge to block everything off, allowing us to set up fortifications at ground level that are inaccessible.

If I have time, I'll also build a Mason's shop in the right 3x3 section and a Carpenter's shop in the other 3x3 section. The top area is intended to be a barracks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:17:20 pm by Shadowfury333 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32