Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Strike the Earth!  (Read 32986 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth! Migrants Welcome!
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »

Side towers are fine by me; I just want some way to regulate comings and goings into the fort, and a small wall with a drawbridge seems like the best way to do that.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:56 pm »

Actually, I was asking Blastoise or Monk about that tower. Your wall has been added in as a designation.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:33 pm »

Well, I guess I could train with the military or train the military depending on how bad it is.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »

A well would be nice. As would a legit. hospital; tables, etc.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2010, 09:29:16 pm »

Welp, since Blastoise stabbed himself he didn't do anything with the tower at all- the job manager can enable the Masonry labor on Omo Powerballs or Vismil Blackhoof to have them do it.

The needed steps to make Soap right now are Build Soap Makers Workshop, and Make Soap, seeing as how you already have lye and tallow kicking around. Judging by the wiki, there is a dearth of information on what actually happens when dwarves get infected, although it is understood that many infections are ultimately fatal. I believe what I shall do is every week you have an infection I roll on the Symptoms table to see what happens to you. The more I look at it the more I think I'll organize it as nested tables- Mild symptoms, highest roll on that table causes you to roll on the Severe symptoms. Fairly tired right now, kindof babbling as you may have noticed.

Stocks et al coming soon, i promise.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:27 am »

OH GOD! SOAP! I NEED SOAAAAPPP! DOn't let the Wolfslayer die in order to help the doctor.

If I die....

I shall have to come back as a cougar or something like that. cough-Dragon-cough
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:32:51 am by BlastoiseWarlorf »

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2010, 12:38:04 am »

I've added the designations for Blastoise's proposed tower, though I'm not sure how he plans to get on the roof to build it, and I'm not sure if fortifications support floors. Upon reflection, it turns out the tower is right above the barracks. It might as well have an access point from it, instead of from the outside. I propose the tower gets completely walled in, and I'll dig a ramp up from the barracks, replacing a designated floor tile.

Since the outside is more detailed now, maybe we should put in the outdoor workshops, and possibly trees (okay, maybe that is too much.) *Monk wiki poke*

Should the workshops just be placed wherever, or what?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:39:46 am by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2010, 12:01:02 am »

Holy carp its tuesday.

STOCKS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ANIMALS

UNIT LIST

Population of Cloisteredtombs: 8 Players, 2 NPC

My apologies, but it seems I was mistaken about the existence of Tallow- in short, you don't have any. You will need to build a kitchen, render fat, build a soap makers shop and make soap before you have a soap supply. I don't remember how much soap it takes to perform a single Dress Wounds task, and I think that like Cloth Bandages it gets subdivided a number of times. I'll probably add a Hospital subsection to the stocks screen soon, and record Soap Bars and Soap: XXX/YYY separately, along with similar spaces for cloth, thread, beds, and so forth.

Also started adding (more) notations for quality levels, just to set a way for when there is a great many instances of an item (for example, Mechanisms) with differing quality levels. Haven't had to deal with it before now, as the only things with quality have been things like "The Axe." I have decided to ignore the quality of bins/barrels, because A) the value difference is negligible compared with whats inside and B) it would be a pain in the ass to track the movement of everything. Mostly B.

Taco Dan, got you some of the things on the list, but you didn't have the points for all of them. Get the smith to make you nice things. Most of the military is as skilled as you (more or less), so sparring would be a good use of time. Not to say that partying is a waste of time- working healthcare is a reason to celebrate!

Spooky vengeance is totally possible, Blastoise. You PROBABLY won't die though.

I will admit, Shadow, that I did terrible at assimilating wiki knowledge. But, much like the Saiyans, defeat only makes me stronger and more able for the next challenge! In this case, the next challenge is the same challenge as the first one. As far as mapmaking, my mental map is ~10 tiles north is an upward slope heading up the Dutiful Barb, ~40 south is the cliff, and ~100 east and west to respective biomes. The outdoor workshops are just haphazardly arranged. Trees/Vegetation will probably be easier to do as crappy MS Paint representations to indicate density, and will end up randomly arranged if it ever becomes important. Modul has cleared out all the trees within ~20 tiles, so its not particularly going to matter soon.

I haven't found anything about whether fortifications support floors, but from what I've read I think they can. Constructed Fortifications will need to have a floor built above them, Carved Fort's have a floor included.

Think thats everything, and with a minute to spare until wednesday! Ok, maybe not. I blame people sending me hilarious comix.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2010, 12:30:03 am »

So, by 10 tiles north do you mean on the same row as the top row of the tower designation?

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2010, 07:50:18 pm »

If he can, Thikut will build a Soap Maker's Shop Inside the fortrees(Or hospital if its planned out)
(Lets hope the useless cats aren't too attached to any one.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:59:56 pm by BlastoiseWarlorf »

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

Any particular location? Also, we will still need an ashery and a kitchen.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:17 pm »

Anywhere it won't get in the way of fortress flow.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:15 pm »

The doctor brought 5 lye with him, so you should be good on lye for a bit.

Thikut can certainly build the Soap Makers Shop- his wounds prevent him from grasping things with his left hand, which largely means no weapons/shields since he can still use the other hand. It need not be within the hospital for the soap to be usable Well, I suppose given the utter lack of not-dirt surfaces within you would experience some degredation from just dropping it in a stockpile there. If you care to designate the hospital as the area immediately below the barracks that would work, though presumably as a makeshift area until a proper hospital is dug out.

Yeah I see I neglected to mention "from the ramp" in my mention of the topography of Cloisteredtombs. The upward slope is actually the space immediately above the designations there, curving very slightly to the north.

I'll do the update in a couple hours, give people a chance to react to my late replies and give me a chance to see whether the forums know how much soap is used in a job.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth!
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:37 am »

3rd Slate, 200

COMPLICATION: VERMIN SWARM! The ground is crawling with rats, as they seem to come from every direction. The cats kill scores of them, but they are simply too many and too mean to fully handle. For this period, food spoils at twice the normal rate.

Rodicurst Onyxbone, Chief Medical Dwarf

Thikut Itdunkul, Militia Captain

Modul "Tweak" Mostsilver, Mechanic

Tulon Lensstream, Hunter

Fuzz Oiledsparce, Farmer

Khan Blacklight, Metalsmith

Kib Koganobul, Miner

Omo Powerballs, Milker

"Dan the Man" Cowbridges, Swordsdwarf and Vismil Blackhoof, Militia Commander

This may be a result of me attempting to do math early in the morning, but I may have borked up the time it takes to establish Constructions. I'll double check my numbers when I do the Stocks Update.

Speaking of early in the morning, I'll just plug this sexy map before hitting the hay.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2010, 01:23:56 am »

Argh, I can't seem to save changes to the wiki map. Monk, are you going to do the workshop placement and exterior terrain, or shall I? What about the constructions, do the builders want to control the order they build things?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:25:53 am by Shadowfury333 »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32