Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Strike the Earth!  (Read 32941 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth! Migrants Welcome!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:57 pm »

um so you rn't following the dwarf fortress crafting system, because 3 cassiterite and 3 copper nuggets costs 36 yes, but they give 6 bars of bronze (aka enough for 6 weapons.)

Whoop, good catch. Smelting produces a number of bars equal to the number of input. So, 1 cassiterite + 1 copper = 2 bronze bars.

I could have sworn that metal items took 3 bars to craft, but apparently that is a symptom of sleep madness on my part. So, to amend my statement, the materials (discounting fuel) for a bronze warhammer are 1 cassiterite and 1 copper, and this will also leave a unit of bronze left over for another item (perhaps a bronze mail shirt instead of that copper one?). That will cost 6 points. For a super fancy silver warhammer, it will cost 30 embark points for the silver ore and leave nothing left over. If you've got the budget for it, Tetrahedrite costs 9 points at embark but also has a 20% chance of yielding silver in addition to copper. Tetrahedrite + Cassiterite will cost you 12 embark points, guarantee the metal for bronze and leave the possibility of silver open. Galena yields silver in addition to lead 50% of the time and costs 15 points.

Please, feel free to point out anything at all that looks wrong. I will amend my previous statement.

EDIT: Also would be a good time to reemphasize that you have a copper battle axe, copper pick, and anvil for free. Go ahead and bring more ore or something.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:55:27 pm by monk12 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »

Metal furniture does take three metal bars. I think plate chestpieces do as well, but I couldn't swear to it.

Anyway, carry on.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 02:27:02 pm »

Ah, that's it. I blame my insistence on making Lead Coffins for everyone in my last couple fortresses. per the wiki:

"Most metal furniture requires 3 bars to forge (including pipe sections), except for chains, animal traps, buckets, and blocks, which require 1."

Again, my apologies for any confusion.

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:00 pm »

Soo lead coffins what did you do with your dead? bury them on the bottom of a lake.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »

Khan, since we're bringing an extra anvil you should stock up on some more ores with the money - I'll still bring along your food since you'll be making me cool stuff anyway.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:55 pm »

re-arranged my points, got enough for one silver warhammer, along with a ton of bronze.
Nom nom nom

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »

I'm taking it you still need another sheet. If not, put me on the migrant list.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:05:55 am by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:28 pm »

This is an engraving of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. This engraving relates to the ascension of Rodicurst Onyxbone to the position of Chief Medical Dwarf.

This is an engraving of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. This engraving relates to the ascension of Rodicurst Onyxbone to the position of Manager.

This is an engraving of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. This engraving relates to the ascension of Vismil Blackhoof to the position of Militia Commander.

Kib Koganobul has claimed the last position of the Starting Seven! As you may have noticed, Manager, Chief Medical Dwarf, and Militia Commander have been spoken for as far as nobility goes. Right now, the only essential position left is Expedition Leader. Anybody who wants to nominate themselves can do so; I'll call for a vote if there are multiple nominations on Saturday. If nobody steps up, the position will default to that most ancient of dwarven political traditions- 1d7 dice rolls!

Again, embark will officially happen sometime Sunday Night. Go ahead and spend the time making arguments for where you want to embark, what to call the fortress, etc etc.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

Vote for calling it The Nefarious Spike
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »

Trees would be nice, we probably won't be able to reach the caverns for a while without good miners.
A mountain surrounded by forest would by ideal, as long as there's a water source.

What does the expedition leader do, exactly?

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 05:37:32 pm »

he meets with all the laisons from the different kingdoms and goes over the general mood of the other dwarfs if one is feeling a bit down use your insane logical skills to cheer him up that's what he does in DF don't know what he will be doing here though

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »

Job description is under the Nobility heading:

"The Expedition Leader is the dwarf elected by the Founders to lead the expedition, or the dwarf with the most social skills among the Founders, or is a randomly selected dwarf among the Founders. The Expedition Leader is responsible for meeting with disgruntled dwarves, foreign diplomats, and is generally the guy to blame if things go bad. Once the Fortress Population reaches 15, this noble position is replaced by the Mayor."

Makes you the face of the fortress, basically. The position is necessary for interacting with foreign dignitaries and the Outpost Liason, and it would certainly be nice if you tried to talk down the crazies. You hold the position until you become Mayor automatically, which gives you expanded Mandate/Demand powers and a nicer room. You can be voted out of the Mayor position, however.

EDIT: Sneevil beat me to it, and has the right idea. Specifically, the skills for helping out mood is Pacifier for the angry types and Consoler for the sad types.

Broker is also a pretty important job that needs filling; not that the lack of one will stop trading, but developing ranks in Jude of Intent, Appraiser, and Negotiator will certainly make trading more profitable and faster. You can certainly get by without a sheriff, he's just the guy who is sanctioned to beat on other dwarves. Nobles are unhappy (read: crazier) if their mandates are ignored and nobody is punished for it, and dwarves are unhappy if they get beat on by other dwarves and nobody does anything about it. Certainly a good noble to have later on, but not necessary, strictly speaking. Bookkeepers are convenient, but can really be done by anybody who's bored for a week and don't require much maintenance.

Also, The Nefarious Spike doesn't fit the format of a Fortress Name. Fortresses tend to go more AdjectiveNoun, or NounNoun. However, I forgot about the fortress government completely, which is the format you followed. Since the gov doesn't have a name, I'll put it in for that.

Fortress Name Votes: Bomreklolok, Whippedgranite (1)
Government Name Votes: The Nefarious Spike (1)
Terrain Votes: 2 votes forest, 1 vote mountain, 1 vote ocean, 1 vote Low Evil, 1 vote arctic and 1 vote temperate

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 05:57:35 pm »

I could do that, if nobody else volunteers.

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 06:28:55 pm »

go for it but you can pull that shiny lever over there. If somebody jumps off a cliff because of the meetings

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »

Added some info on the world to the second post. Copied here for your convenience:

"WORLD GENERATION:
The Eternal Dimensions

Deities of the Speechless Hatchet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Start Year: 200
Neighboring Civs: ?

World Gen Parameters:

Titan Number: 50
Titan Attack Population Requirement: 10
Titan Attack Exported Wealth Requirement: 0
Titan Attack Created Wealth Requirement: 100000
Cavern Layer Number: 3
"

I feel like I was going to put something else in there, but it escapes me for now. Ah well, I'm sure it'll come to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32