Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Strike the Earth!  (Read 32926 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Roll to Strike the Earth!
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »

STRIKE THE EARTH

You are dwarves, and in the nature of dwarves you love wealth, stone, and booze. As members of The Speechless Hatchet, you have assembled to establish a new fortress. Spoilers and madness to follow.

What makes this a unique DF RTD? I'm taking a page out of Toady's book, and striving for a combination of realism and randomness to lead to FUN. Each turn involves random complications to the actions taken by players, from something minor like striking a different variety of mundane stone while mining or a change in weather to large things like kobold thieves, megabeast attacks, migrations of skeletal hippos, and so forth. In addition, the rules are more complicated than in other RTD's, and draw heavily on their DF roots. How well players deal with their dynamic world and their crazy compatriots will determine the success of the fortress.

HOW TO PLAY

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CREATING YOUR DWARF

PLAYING THE GAME

WOUNDS, DISEASE, AND DEATH

INSANITY AND YOU!

NOBILITY

SAMPLE GAME

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:09:50 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Strike the Earth! Migrants Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:22:29 pm »

EMBARK SCREEN:

1. Rodicurst Onyxbone, Chief Medical Dwarf
2. Modul "Tweak" Mostsilver, Mechanic
3. Tulon Lensstream, Hunter
4. Fuzz Oiledsparce, Farmer
5. Khan Blacklight, Metalsmith
6. Vismil Blackhoof, Hammerdwarf
7. Kib Koganobul, Miner

Expedition Leader:
Manager: Rodicurst Onyxbone
Broker: Kib Koganobul
Bookkeeper:
Chief Medical Dwarf: Rodicurst Onyxbone
Militia Commander: Vismil Blackhoof
Sheriff:

You gather with your supplies around Burro the donkey, and the wagon full of supplies. By the ancient Dwarven Site Finding magics, you begin searching for a new home. Vote for what types of terrain you'd like to embark on; if you want to embark on a Joyous Jungle with a waterfall, or a Terrifying Glacier, or the place a Terrifying Mountain meets a Joyous Jungle, or if you just want a sedimentary layer with flux stone, speak up! The consensus of the Starting Seven will be the starting location. To help isolate the mutually exclusive values, here's some embark parameters. I think these cover the major aspects, but if something is missing by all means let us know what you want.

SAVAGERY: Low-Mid-High
EVIL: Low-Mid-High. You may also specify an area where multiple alignments meet. If evil, specify if you would like to head towards the high zombie area or the high ogre area.
ELEVATION: Low-Mid-High
TEMPERATURE: Low-Mid-High
RAIN: Low-Mid-High
FLUX STONE: Y/N
AQUIFER: Y/N
RIVER: Y/N
VOLCANO: Y/N
WATERFALL: Y/N
ISLAND: Y/N
TREES: Low-Mid-High
OTHER VEGETATION: Low-Mid-High
STONE LAYER TYPE: Sedimentary, Metamorphic, Igneous Intrusive, Igneous Extrusive, (or where 2 layers meet)
LAKE/OCEAN: Y/N

WORLD GENERATION:
The Eternal Dimensions

Deities of the Speechless Hatchet:

Start Year: 200
Neighboring Civs: ?

World Gen Parameters:

Titan Number: 50
Titan Attack Population Requirement: 10
Titan Attack Exported Wealth Requirement: 0
Titan Attack Created Wealth Requirement: 100000
Cavern Layer Number: 3

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:23:27 pm by monk12 »

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:06:03 am »

WWOOO
votes for ARCTIC OCEAN biome (I want walruses! also a bone-filled ice-block hospital)
also, imma jack Chief Medical Dorf, and Manager if nobody makes a more able one.
gonna be making soap and murdering cats for their FAT. possibly doing !!science!! if i've got nothing better to do.

Name: Rodicurst Onyxbone
Age/Gender: 63/M
Description: [tba]

Attributes: STR -1, Endurance +1, Dissease Resist +2

Prefstring: Likes alabaster, onyx gems, unicorn bone, green glass cabinets, giant corkscrews, dwarven wine, olm stew, and walruses for thier loyalty and corrupt intentions. Detests longland grass and cats for their corrupt intentions.

soul/personality:

Skills:
Diagnostician: 3 Compotent
Surgeon: 2 Adequate
Suterer: 2 Adequate
Wound Dresser: 2 Adequate
Bone Doctor: 1 Novice

Items:
[mismatched clothes] TOGA
Crutch *3
Bucket *1
Cave Spider Silk thread *3
lye*5
splint *3
CAT*3 (for to strangle for tallow)
Dwarven Wine*10
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:33:56 pm by bowdown2q »

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:07:36 am »

I call the mechanic.  A real dwarf's dwarf, who's only desire is for massive and overly complex systems!

Name: Modul "Tweak" Mostsilver
Age/Gender: 77/M
Description: He is short and skinny.  His long beard is neatly combed.  His sideburns are short and neatly combed.  His long hair is in a ponytail.

Attributes: He is slow to tire (Endurance +1) and agile (AGI +1)

Prefstring: Likes bauxite, platinum nuggets, steel,  black diamonds, tower-cap logs, the color red, suns, and cows for their haunting moos.  When possible, he prefers to consume dwarven wine.

Soul: He has great analytical abilities, a good memory, great creativity, good intuition, really poor focus, very little patience, little linguistic ability, and a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships.

Personality: He is very active.  He is a risk-taker and a thrill-seeker.  He is very assertive.  He doesn't like to compromise with others.  He is eager for new experiences.  He is incredibly creative.  He feels strong urges and seeks short term rewards.  He is immodest.  He can handle stress.  He constantly strives for perfection.  He is very confident.  He often does the first thing that comes to mind.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day.  He enjoys working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.

Skills:
Proficient Mechanic (5 pts), Competent Siege Engineer (3 pts), Adequate Building Designer (2 pts)

Items:
Bauxite x6 (18☼)
Dwarven Wine x30 (60☼)
Assorted cheap meats x20 (40☼) (all different types...for the barrels, of course)
Dog x2 (32☼)
Plump Helmet Spawn (1☼)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:05:24 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:51:27 pm »

Well if we are going to that artic wasteland better have somebody to hunt then :)
Name: tulon lensstream

Description:he is average sized for a dwarf his short hair is greasy he has no sideburns but has a big bushy beard his mouth looks more like a graveyard then a row of teeth he has a jutting chin and narrow but slightly hooked nose his dull gray eyes  are a bit rounded his hair is gold with a touch of gray his pale  skin is slightly wrinkled.

Attrbutes -1 disease resistance +2 agility +1 endurance

prefstring: He likes zinc , Fungiwood,the color white,Amber opal ,doors and dark gnomes for their ability to hold liquor and he prefers to consume dwarven ale, he absolutely detests cave spiders

Soul: he has a good creativity , great musical sense and a sum of patience but has an iffy memory and a poor ability to manage or understand  social relationships

personality: he tends to avoid crowds he admires tradition he is candid and sincere when dealing with others but is modest and lacks confidence.

Skiils
adequate butcher (2) Skilled marksdwarf (4)  adequate Ambusher (2)  novice tanner (1)
(1) novice bonecrafter

Items
copper crosbow 20
10 copper bolts 20
20 units of dwarven ale 40
20 units of cheap fish 40
Mountain goat leather Cloak 20
3 logs of Fungiwood 9
and to round it up 2 bottles of milk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:42:13 pm by Sneevil »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:13:02 pm »

Bomreklolok, Whippedgranite, the temperate mountain surrounded by forest, an untamed wilderness!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:09:33 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »

In, I do stuff tomorrow.

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:57:11 pm »

hmm i can taste the quality booze already.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:42:51 pm »

so totally in, I got weapons and armor guys, though no pick yet, or food.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:01:19 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »

In. Posting character soon.

It pretty much doesn't matter to me what embark we settle upon, as long as it isn't evil. (or has boiling rain...)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:18:30 am by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

I can make you one if you bring some food and booze for me.
Nom nom nom

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »

Anything you want in particular?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

rum and dog sweetbread would be prefered.
Nom nom nom

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »

Alright, 6/7 founders are in! Next character sheet posted takes the last spot; after that, migrants hang in the waiting list until the midseason migrant wave.

Thus far, I am seeing votes for an Arctic Ocean, a Savage Temperate Mountain/Forest, and Non-Evil. So, Canada.

Also, one vote for Bomreklolok, Whippedgranite as the name of the fortress.

Rodicurst Onyxbone has filled the Chief Medical Dwarf position nicely, and Vismil Blackhoof is the front-runner for Militia Commander. Notably, there is no broker/expedition leader, and there is a single Novice Miner. On the plus side, it looks like this fortress is going to be positively gushing booze, so nobody will care if they sleep in mud anyway.

Coughdrop, Hammerdwarf skill does not also grant you a hammer. Along with that food and booze to trade to the weaponsmith, you may also want to consider bringing enough metal to craft a nice hammer. It takes three metal bars to craft a weapon; If you decide on a nice bronze warhammer, smelting the bronze from 3 hunks of Cassiterite and 3 Copper Nuggets will cost you 36 embark points. For comparison, a silver warhammer would run you 90 embark points. Just the cassiterite for one bronze item will run 18 points. I stand corrected- read the post below.

Since we've got enough dwarves to begin play, I will be making the first post Sunday night (EST). You've got until then to fiddle with your char sheet, vote for fortress name/location, and schmooze with your fellow colonists. In the meantime, I've posted some links to the wiki in the CREATE A DWARF section. Specifically, I've added links to the Personality, Mannerism, and Soul/Body Attributes pages. In addition, I'll be posting some details of the background world- The Eternal Dimensions. I'll put that info in my second post, as well as the base details of where you embark (once you embark there, anyway).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:48:13 pm by monk12 »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:02 am »

um so you rn't following the dwarf fortress crafting system, because 3 cassiterite and 3 copper nuggets costs 36 yes, but they give 6 bars of bronze (aka enough for 6 weapons.)
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32