Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Moments that make you want to scream  (Read 3003 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Moments that make you want to scream
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 10:15:08 am »

Dude, once you go unconscious the fight is pretty much over; times when you wake up from unconsciousness in adventurer mode are extremely rare, particularly in melee. Under the current system, the bad guys can keep whaling on you until you finally die. And you have to do the same for them. Contrary to what you say, a single bolt to the leg cannot easily cause unconsciousness. I've been testing out various pain sensitivities for a mod I'm making, and I can tell you with confidence that under the vanilla game, it's hard to go unconscious without some pretty disastrous injuries.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:45 am »

Ok, i remember that bolt in a leg sent a poor cobold to unconsciosness, maybe because he was so little, a single bolt could eviscerate his leg. :D Yesterday i had a fight with a dragon, one dwarf came, and chopped his leg with first strike, the rest of the fight dragon was unconscious. I agree, that mutilating mindless bodies is quite stupid side of the game, but i saw units falling into unconscious for seconds or two, that would be dissapointing to lose some precious military dwarfs due to them falling down of some stupid wound.
 But anyway, it's dwarf fortress! Would be easier to make totems. Heads will fly left and right :D

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:17 am »

The delay of the new version makes me want to scream.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:59 pm »

The delay of the new version makes me want to scream.

!!anticipation!!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:31 pm »

Ok, i remember that bolt in a leg sent a poor cobold to unconsciosness, maybe because he was so little, a single bolt could eviscerate his leg. :D Yesterday i had a fight with a dragon, one dwarf came, and chopped his leg with first strike, the rest of the fight dragon was unconscious. I agree, that mutilating mindless bodies is quite stupid side of the game, but i saw units falling into unconscious for seconds or two, that would be dissapointing to lose some precious military dwarfs due to them falling down of some stupid wound.
 But anyway, it's dwarf fortress! Would be easier to make totems. Heads will fly left and right :D
Are you sure they were unconscious, and not simply stunned or prone? Unconscious things have a flashing white "x", stunned things have a blue "x", and prone things have a brown background. For severings I can understand the KO, but minor wounds shouldn't cause unconsciousness in dwarf-sized creatures, so I'm honestly perplexed by your findings.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »

Are you sure they were unconscious, and not simply stunned or prone? Unconscious things have a flashing white "x", stunned things have a blue "x", and prone things have a brown background. For severings I can understand the KO, but minor wounds shouldn't cause unconsciousness in dwarf-sized creatures, so I'm honestly perplexed by your findings.

I hope prone and stunned enemies get their opportunity numbers worsened(for them) somewhat, too.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 12:50:58 pm »

I hope prone and stunned enemies get their opportunity numbers worsened(for them) somewhat, too.
I'm fairly certain that with this new aimed attack feature, you can only attack that which you can reach. Toady mentioned something about only being able to attack giants below the waist unless you knock them down first, so I'm sure prone opponents can't do much more than slash at your ankles, much less attack your head. I could be wrong, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »

I'm fairly certain that with this new aimed attack feature, you can only attack that which you can reach. Toady mentioned something about only being able to attack giants below the waist unless you knock them down first, so I'm sure prone opponents can't do much more than slash at your ankles, much less attack your head. I could be wrong, though.

You are, unfortunately. Reach still is the same as the old version.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:31 pm »

You are, unfortunately. Reach still is the same as the old version.
Hmm. Too bad. Well, I know he mentioned it, I'm sure it's coming soon.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »

He mentioned it in a DF talk, but it's not coming in this release. Next month will focus largely on the economy, so it's probably not coming then either.
Pages: 1 [2]