Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Here, Greiger, rant in here. :)  (Read 3714 times)

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
Here, Greiger, rant in here. :)
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:39 pm »

Mmmm... GO! :D
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Here, Greiger, rant in here. :)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »

Ha, well uh. I'm on the spot now aren't I.

Anyway in another thread I made an ass of myself ranting about how Internet explorer is all evil and stuff.  I still think it is, but I managed to derail a meaningful thread doing it.  It was the thread on somebody downloading the whole DF Wiki, quite interesting.  Anyway it was mentioned that it is unfortunate that magmawiki won't support Internet Explorer 8 and earlier or something to that effect.

Internet Explorer from what I understand is not going to be supported because of compatibility issues, Microsoft just makes up their own standards and insists on everyone else following their lead, despite standards already being in place.  So naturally the thought that it would be anybody but Microsoft's fault that a semi popular site won't work with earlier versions of IE seemed absurd to me.  Getting me riled up. 

That's basically the jist of it.  'Fraid the discovery that some of my information was incorrect destroyed most of my ranting momentum. My origonal post was here. Just in case I made anyone curious.  Still has some of my origonal steam in it I suppose. :)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:17:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:56 pm »

I don't really like IE myself, for the record. However, I don't think it's the security problem it used to be (IE8 has Protected Mode, for instance, and I honestly don't consider Firefox very secure). Also, I believe IE9 will be much better about actual standards support, but we'll have to wait and see.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »

This really should go in the lower boards general discussion as this doesn't have anything to do with DF.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:29 pm »

Its because microsoft DOES make their own standards, and they expect others to follow because they know that 65& of the market will follow. and 65% of the market HAS followed.

And i guess i mistook this as a general "general discussion" board...

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:49 pm »

This really should go in the lower boards general discussion as this doesn't have anything to do with DF.

Yeah, this should definitely get moved to General Discussion.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

Yea sorry to say that the old GD died sometime around when the penguins took over.  Whole board was locked after that. Closest other thing I can think of would be life advice. <- Temporary insanity.

But the security of the newer versions of IE isn't as bad as I expected.  It seems in the other thread what I perceived as a big security hole was a in shop convenience intentionally set for a particular site (or I guess that's how it is, I'm not at work to check).   There's a free online antivirus we use at work a lot once we believe we cleaned a system of malware as a confirmation scan on Eset.  I thought it did it without activex.  I was wrong.   I guess when you spend all day fixing folks' problems with IE 6 and 7 you don't find it odd for the newer versions to have the same issues.

I also agree that firefox isn't the most secure out there either, but it's a fair sight better than older IE.  And from my limited poking about it seems more secure than IE8 as well.  I would ask about IE9 but I have yet to meet anyone who has more to say about the beta other than that it crashes reliably every time it starts and immediately reopens itself so it can crash again.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:36:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:34:16 pm »

Yea sorry to say that the old GD died sometime around when the penguins took over.  Closest other thing I can think of would be life advice.

What are you talking about?

It still doesn't change the fact that this thread is out of place and I don't think anybody would mind it being in Life Advice anyhow.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:41 pm »

I'm wrong again, opening GD just brought up an old image from way back in 2009.  So for some reason I thought it was Various Nonsense renamed.  I think I need to go to sleep.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »

Lol, then could somebody move it?   8)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »

You can move it, there should be a move button or option when you post, or at the bottom of the page in view mode, I forget atm.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:43:18 pm »

You started the thread, so you can.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:01 pm »

they know that 65& of the market will follow.

Seriously? 65 demons of the market? You mean Communist Hell supports Microsoft?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »

Thing is, love it or hate it, IE IS a huge gaping chasm is your computer's defense. FF is a good bit better, but still has problems. So far, GC has proved itself impossibly virus proof.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »

Indeed. I've found that FF and the addon NoScript makes it annoyingly safe.

Pages: [1] 2 3