A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142834 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt Fortress: Days 19-25: Aftermath of the Mild Anxiety
« Reply #3045 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:04 pm »

Hm. If we get desperate, we could load up our non-food producers with two weeks' rations and enough crafts to buy at least two weeks more, then march to the humans and back.

Elves are closer, which has some advantage to it. Their whole situation is far more mysterious, of course.

I don't think they're closer (a shame, because I'd love to contact them).  Based on this:

Elves typically prefer warmer climes, but they enjoy isolation even more. The forests due-east of the Cliffs near Skaldivon are rumoured to contain a few settlements of them. According to Adil's crazy uncle, anyway.

My best guess is they're in the forest around Warped, probably to the east of that.
Anyway, with the weather improving soon, Adil's better off sticking around until the plants and game return.  Though she's still disturbed by the prayer-jamming.  In the meantime, she'll cut logs... for boats!  The fishing communities around Skaldivon will seem much closer if we can travel there by boat, particularly if we choose to trade.  Heck, boats would expedite trade with the mountainhome as well.  Adil will focus on cutting the logs since she's no carpenter... what would boats require besides wood?

00-07: Sleep
07-08: Breakfast - Water and prepared food
08-18: Cut logs.  Lunch by foraging if possible.
18-19: Watch sunset, try to pray to Kun, chat with Urist
19-20: Dinner - Water and prepared food
20-22: Milk the purring maggots
22-23: Play with Denrhymed, alone.
23-24: Sleeeep
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:25 pm »

Humans are two weeks to the north, Elves are one week to the east.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:01 pm »

A ton of metal fitting holding the thing together for a proper boat.  If you wanted a raft, you might be able to get away with using ropes instead of metal fittings, not really my call though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »

A ton of metal fitting holding the thing together for a proper boat.  If you wanted a raft, you might be able to get away with using ropes instead of metal fittings, not really my call though.

I was hoping metal fittings wouldn't be necessary, but I don't know anything boatmaking.  Canoes would probably work for carrying food, wood crafts, and people.  We wouldn't be importing anvils that way though.  Whatever Shade-O decides, naturally.  I'm just not hunting until the weather improves.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:05 pm »

Canoe-style boats could be carved from whole trees, but those would be hard to trade with.
Rafts would be better, and enough boyancy (Empty barrels tied underneath?) would probably negate most shoddy workdwarfship.

Ninja'd.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:37 pm »

Hey, I've been doing pretty good with the wood working until my entire supply of metal fittings got ate up by that waste of space golem... what good is the thing if it needs constant supervision anyhow, other than not needing to sleep or eat.

Edit:  And also, since we don't have any skilled Golemologists around, the thing might still go berserk and kill us all, just for funsies if we accidentally messed it up (since nobody can tell other than it's still running.)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:56:21 pm by V-Norrec »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: January 06, 2011, 12:07:55 am »

Dwarves have very, very little knowledge on boating or shipwrightery and are physically unsuitable for swimming. I would strongly suggest not attempting to join the life aquatic.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: January 06, 2011, 12:19:57 am »

What good is the thing if it needs constant supervision anyhow, other than not needing to sleep or eat?

Edit:  And also, since we don't have any skilled Golemologists around, the thing might still go berserk and kill us all, just for funsies if we accidentally messed it up. (Since nobody can tell other than it's still running.)
It could be useful, if we use it for simple, repetative jobs. Like woodcutting, perhaps.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:28 am »

We tried to use it for mining without supervision and it pushed the wall constantly.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: January 06, 2011, 12:24:49 am »

Lets think about this, A; We would need around... 300 dwarfbucks to get 10 weeks of food/booze. B: What if they fall on bad times? We would have to find somewhere else to trade, farther away. C: Even if we last, how much space will we need for us to survive until next harvest?

(Also rolan, I think you forgot about the milk and eggs...)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: January 06, 2011, 12:31:36 am »

((Thankfully we can plant more plump helmets as we eat them and the 6 month crops will begin to mature as well.  Plus we may be able to start finding some mud worms and begin making mud worm paste as well.  It may not be the best shit in the world, but it will keep us alive, and as long as we all have some kind of positive modifier going on, we shouldn't go crazy.  I think you and I have it best right now Ochita as far as positive modifiers go))

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: January 06, 2011, 12:46:08 am »

Lets think about this, A; We would need around... 300 dwarfbucks to get 10 weeks of food/booze. B: What if they fall on bad times? We would have to find somewhere else to trade, farther away. C: Even if we last, how much space will we need for us to survive until next harvest?

(Also rolan, I think you forgot about the milk and eggs...)

I did forgot to include it in the calculations yeah, I don't remember milking working very well before, but we'll see!  (Adil's milking this week).
If the weather wasn't improving "soon", I'm pretty sure we'd still be facing starvation and sobriety (even with 4 booze per plant, we don't have more than about a month's booze supplies).  In which case, I'd be advocating raiding the humans for food/booze, if necessary.  Adil doesn't think highly of humans anyway, they tried to arrest her for chopping a fallen tree! (If I remember that right).

But if the hunting and gathering becomes viable again *really soon*, we might be okay.  If we're careful.  Mysteriously atheistic, possibly sober, but probably not starving :D
She/they

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: January 06, 2011, 12:49:20 am »

Ultimately, it comes down to, we have too many dwarves right now eating our food and providing nothing in return.  I hate to pick on Hastur, but working on swordsmanship skill while we're facing starvation is kind of a dick move.  Also there are those migrants who are just eating our food and doing nothing of note.  It's just not going to work out if it keeps up like this, we can't afford to feed dead weight.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:09 am »

Yeah, love is a great to stay happy ;D

In regards to trading I am not adverse to having a mule or two to pull a cart loaded with granite goods (plates, trinkets, possibly cosmetics for the women. I might be able to get away with doing some engravings but still...)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: January 06, 2011, 12:53:32 am »

((All the carts are gone and I can't rebuild them because all the metal fittings are gone.))
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 249