A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143263 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth: Days 13-18
« Reply #2745 on: December 27, 2010, 06:58:47 pm »

No, I think you might need them more...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »

Norrec currently has a quarterstaff, a shortsword, buckler and crossbow. There are plenty of spare weapons.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 27, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

Okay, I guess I'll take the quarter staff. Also the crossbow.
Plus my dagger. See if I cant just add some bark as (very) light armor.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: December 27, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »

Norrec would actually be best with the Quarterstaff, as she has Brawler skill. Long weapons like spears and staves can be used to dissuade enemies from making melee attacks, so they're better at defence than you would expect.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 27, 2010, 07:29:02 pm »

Aha. But I plan to be near the back unless people want otherwise.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 27, 2010, 07:32:14 pm »

By all means bring a crossbow, just remember caves are typically confined and allies are only somewhat permeable when you shoot bolts through them.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:00 pm »

Theres always gaps. Or do you want me to pull out a D&D map, character sheets, and all that... Because I will (not)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 27, 2010, 07:46:39 pm »

Brings back memories of when Norrec and Mikhail were blocked by a plate-wearing guard with a heater and spear in a narrow alley. They could have turned around and taken the front door out, hell they probably could have killed the Duke if they had. But nooo, they had to bang their heads against the roadblock until I caved in...

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: December 27, 2010, 07:48:13 pm »

>.>  <.<  I figured turning our backs to that guy would be worse than continuing to fight him.  I suppose I could have been wrong about that.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 27, 2010, 08:44:51 pm »

Brings back memories of when Norrec and Mikhail were blocked by a plate-wearing guard with a heater and spear in a narrow alley. They could have turned around and taken the front door out, hell they probably could have killed the Duke if they had. But nooo, they had to bang their heads against the roadblock until I caved in...

But you're the GM! If the players aren't ignoring all of your plot hooks and breaking all of your carefully constructed plans, then you're doing something wrong :D

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 27, 2010, 08:49:31 pm »

Incidentally, after almost being baked and smoked for export by them, what would you have done if they had come up to the front door to escape past you?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 27, 2010, 08:52:42 pm »

Probably feign punching them in the face and try to make a break for it (with the Romantic Executioner in hand, of course) and leave them to deal with the Duke. Or, if they killed the Duke too quickly, explain my situation to them and take the RE back to the noble who owned it. PC's had seemed invincible during the prologue so I wasn't too worried about not being able to run away :D

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 27, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »

Survival was due to good strategy by the players, odds stacked in their favour, and plain pure luck. I mean look at what was actually fought: Norrec slaughtered a bunch of poorly equipped thugs, most of which were taken by surprise. Mikhail killed a bunch of goblins with the help of a squad while they were easy targets in the water. Together they trapped most of the well-equipped and trained guards and burned them alive, which I thought was unnecessary.

The troll was simply driven off, and the guard they actually fought was nigh-impossible to kill in that situation. All the other goons were the equivalent of level-1 rats in the bar cellar. Which was a quest that I offered to CoughDrop, actually.

But one or two poor rolls, a wrong decision at a critical point, or even the players plotting against each other could have easily severely wounded or even killed them.

Just make sure you know that this 'good luck' following your group is running out.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »

((.... does that mean I'm leading us into the hands of El Diablo?))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »

Depends on how lucky you are.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 249