A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142830 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #2130 on: November 23, 2010, 09:29:56 pm »

Adil Tongsletter finishes praying silently and lifts her head, looking with apprehension at the angry dwarves discussing dark deeds.

"I should go!  I... I've already collected the nearby plants, I need to go into the forest to find more.  Besides which I'm a hunter myself, and very much a surface dweller.  I want to know what's in my- the, forest.  Norrec, will you let me come along?"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 23, 2010, 09:30:13 pm »

By the way, my character is almost entirely benevolent. If you haven't noticed, his last name is WHIMWORTHY :D
So a good portion of his actions are driven by whim rather than reason. Him coming to the fortress, even.

Also, as a dwarfitarian, he is highly opposed on principal to your inquisition, and will possibly even get political over it.

Also, if you want to get butcher's tools and are happy to stoke the fire for me, we can set up the forge earlier and spend an hour making butcher's tools. After all, butcher's tools are mainly knives, so I should be able to use weaponsmithing for it, and I'm good at that, so it shouldn't take too long! :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:32:31 pm by Samthere »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:30 pm »

You're all sheep, seriously, I don't know why I try and save the whole fort.
Well I support your zany efforts to save us all, just so long as supporting you doesn't involve too many distractions.

Getting shot counts as a distraction.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 23, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »

Norrec, I've pushed back sleep for an hour to get you your butcher's tools, if you'll help.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 23, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »

V-Norrec, strange stuff is going on. Torturing dudes is not the way to fix it. Feel free to go explore, or something, and deal with those angry gods - of the things you mentioned, I really think a dwarf who wants his own cabin is the least of your worries.
Also. On the whole, it seems like we sheep do not particularly care for your saving us either. Feel free to let us go to our dooms and farm or something instead.

Lilli, by my calculations we have about two months of food and booze... so that's a little troubling. Didn't Shade say crops take three months to grow? So I think it would be good to get farming up soon. Hopefully hunting and fishing and herbalism will sustain us, though.

Sam, among us, Rolan is the only one with any butcher skill, so I suggest that he be the butcher.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »

Assuming Rolan keeps going out to hunt/gather we should have enough food to last once those two months are over.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 23, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »

.... do you have no idea how fast we're going through that food and drink?  No seriously, have you not been paying attention?

We've just about picked the forest clean in the nearby area meaning we're going to have to start going further away, we have 3 months until our crops would be ready if we started planting today and we have about 1000 food.

OK, here comes the clue train.  2 food per day times 12 dwarves eating times 90 days until our farms first harvest.  2160 food needed.  WE NEED TO MORE THAN DOUBLE OUR FOOD TO MAKE IT TO THE FIRST HARVEST!  That's not even taking brewing alcohol into account. 

Also sure, I'll take you there Rolan, after this day goes through and the flood gate is set up.  Then if I get teleported so far north I spend 7 hours walking to get back to camp again there we're starting that inquisition and whoever has been acting the strangest is getting the rack.  (That is why it's going to Gar for the moment, he entered the darkness that was the old dark power and he seems to be more concerned about privacy than living... yeah not normal in my, or my characters book)

Also, my character believes that old dark power has influenced those in the camp in a negative way, that would tend to make her suspicious of abnormal activities rather than go out searching for an explanation from elsewhere.  Also, how the hell am I supposed to take on a god... no really, enlighten me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 23, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »

Assuming Rolan keeps going out to hunt/gather we should have enough food to last once those two months are over.

Except I apparently exhausted the nearby area for gathering ):   But once butchery is set up then yeah, we should be able to extend our time by hunting.  Eventually we'll have working farms, much more dependable.
(Sees Norrec's post)
Aw, it's worse than I thought ):  Good thing we're getting that butcher's shop up, I just hope we can find enough game.

"Also, I just spoke with Kun.  Norrec, I don't know why you can't reach your... uh, deity... but I hope it's only temporary.  If it's something in the forest, I will do my best to help you stop it."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 23, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »

Norrec you're the one acting the strangest out of any of us. You're paranoid, schizophrenic, and worship a wealth beast. You also blacked out and killed a deer in your sleep. And why isn't he allowed his privacy? If he wants to spend his own time making his own shelter, then let him do that. You're taking this whole RP thing way too seriously.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 23, 2010, 09:51:59 pm »

Nonetheless, going from "I blacked out" to "SOMEONE'S A WITCH" is a bit of a jump. I mean, if this had happened to someone else you'd probably be more suspicious of them than anyone else.

Also, keep in mind once the river thaws we might be able to fish, and spring will likely mean more edible plants and animals. Between fishing, hunting, and gathering, we should probably be able to scrape by. That's not to say we don't have a food shortage, but I suspect it's less apocalyptic than the current numbers imply.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 23, 2010, 09:52:09 pm »

No need to get agitated, V. We have 1410 food units, which will last us 59 days. If we can produce an average of 8.3 food units per day until the next harvest by fishing, hunting, herbalism, chicken eggs, maggot milk, trading, etc., we'll be able to make it to the harvest at least. Or maybe we'll die. Oh well. If we die, we die. Again, it's just a game, no need to lose any sleep over it.

Nevertheless. If you start an inquisition, we will stop you.

Anyway. This game is pretty exciting so far. I'm having fun. You guys having fun?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

Eh, it just occurred to me that eating two meals a day might not be sustainable for months on end, so I guess the numbers could be worse than expected.

Nonetheless, when we go full-out vermin-catching desperate, we should be able to ward off starvation for quite a while.

And yes, still having fun.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 23, 2010, 09:56:28 pm »

Hey guys, do you think I should just set up a farm plot at the end of the hallway?
We have a lot of side-mining to do, and the sooner the farm is up, the better.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 23, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »

I know I can't sustain it for months on end.  Shade basically told me I'm likely to die if I keep it up.  Also, we still don't have our farms set up, so it's only going to get worse, the longer people decide to go work on side-projects and not try to get anything set-up. 

And fine, Rolan and I will go out and check out the cave again, I swear if I get teleported again though, ain't nothing keeping me from inquisitioning until I get answers.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 23, 2010, 09:59:19 pm »

Well, we won't hesitate in killing you if that happens.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 249