A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142859 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1905 on: November 19, 2010, 09:47:02 pm »

Posting my day...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »

There's no reason we can't let the water fall down once it arrives. I'd love to build the cistern under the fortress, but we don't know how deep we might want to go, and if we're going to be building anywhere near the cistern, it'd be a lot safer to have the full force of a cistern behind it, rather than the full and limitless force of a major river.

If nothing else, with a screw pump we can dry out and modify any part of the cistern we need to, at least in theory. With a floodgate, everything past the floodgate is inaccessible. That might not matter too much, but if, for instance, something swims down there and bashes it down, we're basically SOL. We can put a grate or trap in front, but then the same problem applies to the grate or trap, and then reaches the floodgate. With a screw pump, if something bashes it down we rebuild it later and are none the worse for it.

And yes, I too pine for turns.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 19, 2010, 09:52:14 pm »

Shade-o can we have a poll over whether we should use pumps or the river so those two can stop arguing about it?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 19, 2010, 10:18:51 pm »

My argument is a pump is just needlessly complex for a simple cistern and farm.  Once we get to more advanced levels I have no problem with changing it, beside, theoretically with two sets of floodgates we should be able to go modify anything we want as well, we just have to collect the water in the cistern and dump it out into the river/water plants with it.  We also won't have to worry about freezing with a nice set of floodgates and grates because we can just close the outer flood gate then the excess water will flow into the cistern where we'd be able to use it for farming.  It should suit our immediate purposes quite nicely, and of course we can always leave room for expansion later, both in mechanical complexity and in water storage.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 19, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »

Relevent question: Do floodgates and pumps work the same way here as in-game?
Are they as easy to build?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:17 pm »

well I imagine if we had a man operated pump it'd be decently easy to build, but it'd also take valuable labor away from more productive tasks.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 19, 2010, 10:28:01 pm »

midnight 0000-0700; 7hours; Have golem stokethe  fire, get up and warm self up while Cooking Cook Water, Alcohol, Protein and Plant. Marinate the protein in alcohol on a pan. boil the plants in the water, wrap the boiled plants in a roll around the meat. Flambe with the alcohol juices and serve at 7am breakfast. i will call it Sandow Broth and Num Num Rollies. Golem gathers my supplies in the dark.
700-800; 1 hour; Eat Breakfast. Have my golem massage my back

800-1500; 7 hour; Smooth and Engrave Our entrance. A mural of the founders in a circle on the left, arms extended towards a central point overhead. On the other side, Scenery landscape 3'd person point of view overlooking from the mountain our virgin terrain from behind a wagon with me beside, beard blowing in the wind, hands on my hips, chest puffed out. Golem holds my tools. Craft Mugs if i finish.
1500-1600; 1 hour; Eat lunch, whatever is best. Golem rearranges food stockpile to have my food barrels in front.

21600-2300; Sleep, Golem stands guard outside my tent.
2300-0000midnight; Golem stokes fire, once its goin a little, get out and warm self and eat breakfast.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:34 pm »

Blah.

I wasn't asking for your argument, I was asking Shade-o to make a poll so we wouldn't have to hear you two bicker over it anymore.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:47 pm »

Must you cook every day?  We haven't even cleared out your last meal yet you made so much.

Edit:  Lilli, don't be a hat of the ass.  It's uncool.  We're having a debate as to how to best guarantee the future success of the fortress, it wasn't getting nasty or anything.  There is nothing wrong with having a well-mannered debate about topics of import.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:38:31 pm by V-Norrec »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:55 pm »

Cooking it probably lengthens its shelf life. (Barrel life?)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: November 19, 2010, 10:40:00 pm »

All our food is preserved already besides the trail-berries I'm turning into booze this turn as far as I'm aware.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:14 pm »

Having a debate is fine and all, but you two could just do it through PMs, which would mean less pages bury the schedules, which means Shade-o can update faster.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:05 pm »

Cooking it probably lengthens its shelf life. (Barrel life?)

Sandow; "yeah it is probably too much, but methinks its a good way to string our food out if i cook it with alcohol, get more bang for our buck that way and the alcohol should keep it good, Got a little carried away with the 8 hours shifts huh?, Not too many distractions at night, just cookin and keeping warm by the cooking fire."

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »

Technically, cooking would actually probably shorten the shelf life, do you want to eat week old Sandow Stew that's been sitting in barrel?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:23 pm »

Ill change it if GM says its a stupid thing to do. I'd know if it would just go bad after a few days i think
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 249