A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142886 times)

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #855 on: November 13, 2010, 08:33:37 pm »

It's not so much that I make enemies, it's more like I go to places, and they foolishly leave fire and oil near me.

Assuming you burned this town, any survivors would obviously blame the Dwarven Caravan that had just happened to pass by at the exact same time. THAT would most likely lead them to hating us. I honestly don't care about these humans, but please don't make everything harder on the rest of us if you can help it.

Any dwarf worth his/her name never leaves a survivor under any circumstance.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 13, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »

Though it is still winter-ish, I shall attempt to observe the strange, above-ground farms of the humans.
I must learn their eldritch, sun-drenched secrets.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 13, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »

It's not so much that I make enemies, it's more like I go to places, and they foolishly leave fire and oil near me.

Assuming you burned this town, any survivors would obviously blame the Dwarven Caravan that had just happened to pass by at the exact same time. THAT would most likely lead them to hating us. I honestly don't care about these humans, but please don't make everything harder on the rest of us if you can help it.

Any dwarf worth his/her name never leaves a survivor under any circumstance.

That is not the point... Why do you insist upon arguing with nearly everyone in our group for the sake of arguing? Don't you think we would all be happier if we could at least attempt to get along?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:03 pm »

/agree with CoughDrop

Really I don't want to lose trading partners and get MORE sieges coming our way because you wanted to go blow something up.

Also Irony, I'm Sam Vimes, I'm a good guy, I just do the necessary stuff.  You notice only criminals and people working with criminals were going to die in my exploits. :P

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »

Actually sam vimes doesn't kill.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 13, 2010, 08:49:23 pm »

Your caravan trundles in through the gates, and stops near a small storeroom in a quiet part of town. While the crew start checking supplies and caring for the animals, the expedition members scatter in all directions.

Hastur
Artisan is a caste type. You're a noble, as far as I can tell. You might mean 'Artist' which is not woodworking.

CoughDrop
As the unofficial leader, you find the mayor and give her your thanks for letting the caravan stop here. She waves away your thanks, saying that as long as your team behaves itself they will be welcome.

She also gives you a stack of reports from the lands to the south. Though largely unsettled, it's the most likely route for invading armies to take so it's always scouted.

The coastal road is dry and unblocked.
There is no flooding or snowstorms.
A patrol of human soldiers is expected to be travelling north on the road and will cross your path.
There are intermittent reports of goblin raiding parties preying on farmsteads.
The fishing villages along the coast are safe from attacks.

V-Norrec
You head straight for the local tavern, and note all the things consumed. Bread, cheese and beef seem to be the most popular foods, while wheat beer is the most popular drink. Mead and rum are drunk by more refined customers, as it is imported.

The innkeeper lets you have dwarven rum for free, as he can't get rid of it and you're drawing customers in by your presence.

Ochita, IronyOwl and Samthere
You head off in search of a forge, and find one. The smiths are busy repairing mundane items. You note with dismay that all the tools and equipment are the wrong size for you and are of strange and foreign designs. You couldn't even reach the anvil properly.

Further investigation reveals the same of the glassworks, but the jeweller's workshop is dwarf-compatible.

The industry of this town seems to be more focused on quantity than quality, which makes sense given the huge number of humans demanding goods.

Rolan7
You go in search of cows, and watch them being milked. It's not entirely dissimilar to how you extract from Purring Maggots, and you pick up a trick or two.

FuzzyZergling
It's winter, but the climate here is mild and they've got crops growing anyway. Spotting some farmers in the fields outside the gates, you take a flying leap off the wagon before it even enters the city. Shielding your eyes from the sun, you watch as the workers ceaselessly tend to their plants, fighting off an infinite horde of insects, infections and weeds that try to consume their work. It seems that above-ground farming is much more intensive, but can offer a greater bounty.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:52 pm »

Im an animal carer, I collect eggs and milk maggots...and train the chickens to obey my commands

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:23 pm »

Hastur
You attempt to train the chickens to obey your commands, but their pea-sized brains cannot handle the concepts required and they continue pecking around in the dirt.
Milking falls under 'Dairy'. Collecting eggs doesn't require anything.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »

Hmmm, I'm drawing customers eh?  Well, I might as well help the poor guy out.  Try and get a make-shift drinking contest started.  The prize will be my little make-shift figurine if you can drink me under the table.  You have to provide your own booze, I'll be drinking the Rum the barkeep can't get rid of.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 13, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

I'll search around for a guard station, or a bowyer. Whichever comes first.
If I find a bowyer first I'll observe their work, and take hard-boiled notes for later use. I'll also buy a how-to book on crossbow creation and maintenance.
If I find a guard station first I'll tell them of methods to turn barges into a kamikaze device.
I'll try not to overload the town with my hard-boiled existence as I make my way to the tavern for a drink, and some lunch/dinner.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 13, 2010, 08:57:31 pm »

You take a flying leap off the wagon before it even enters the city.
Who can information leap? Me. I can information leap.

Head to the tavern, and compare their human beer to its dwarven equivalent.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 13, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

Head to the tavern and see what they've got and what humans like.

Assuming I discover the obvious (damn you Unaware!), partake in dwarven rum and strike up conversations with any humans that seem interesting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 13, 2010, 09:00:50 pm »

Make for the tavern and talk with some of the locals, asking them what types of crafts they most desire. (trying to find out what we could sell to these humans once we have our Fortress set up)
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 13, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

Hastur
You attempt to train the chickens to obey your commands, but their pea-sized brains cannot handle the concepts required and they continue pecking around in the dirt.
Milking falls under 'Dairy'. Collecting eggs doesn't require anything.

(ok my bad on milking then. But are you open to the idea that chickens can be trained? there are trained chickens that play tic tac toe and hens are kept as pets for example. Can i at least train a war rooster? like a cockfighting rooster?

If not then... )Novice stonecrafter- make a stattuette of the cover of doom with mikhail as the doomguy

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 13, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »

Lillipad
You look around, and find a bowyer. Though they have some crossbows, the main focus of their work is in building and maintaining longbows. You leave, disappointed.

Hastur
You stay in the caravan and obtain a bit of broken masonry. Using it, you carve it into...

A little scene, most likely of a dwarf standing on a pile of bodies.
You might train them as fighters, but that's really just making them hyper-aggressive. They'll be as likely to attack anything else, and can't follow orders.

At the bar
Amazingly, most of the team reassembles at the bar. Stereotypes!

Irony closely studies the patrons, slightly freaking them out as she takes notes while taking samples. Fascinating.

Lillipad finds some rum and a lump of cheese, and chews/drinks in a gritty manner.

Norrec starts a drinking contest. Easy enough. Unfortunately, the main competition is a huge bear of a man, and by virtue of body weight he's able to outdrink you. Shameful. He takes his prize and your pride.

CoughDrop travels the room, looking for clues as to what these people want. The peasants insist that they could always do with cheaper drinks, though subterranean products are definitely an acquired taste for them. If they got better quality armour and weapons for the army, they could sleep easier at night. Another points out how the handle of his mug is about to break off, and he'd be glad to have some quality metalgoods for once.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 249