A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143050 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »

Leave Kas and the other recruits at the vault with the lantern bombs.  I'll go search the office.  If I have any room in my backpack between the knives and pots, put in anything of value I come across.  Search for incriminating documents.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:35 pm »

Return to my search for the elusive non-limbed noble.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:33 pm »

We'll leave Cog behind since he actually has a shield to use.

I'll have Kas search the storage, and Nik investigate the bedroom. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on Norrec while we investigate the office.

Norrec: Disguise yourself as a new servant soon, and plant the bomb things in the barracks sneakily, we'll assassinate the two guards at the front gate once that's done.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 11, 2010, 10:01:55 pm »

Practice throwing knives at a tree stump.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:56:13 pm by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 11, 2010, 10:35:20 pm »

((I don't think that's a good idea there Lilli.  I think we'd be better off if we just abducted him and took him to the guard house.  And then I'll take one of his rings.. you know because my noble benefactor wanted me to grab one of his rings as proof that I had done as I said I would.))  ((ALSO PLEASE LET ME HAVE HIS VALUABLES, I NEED MONEY!!!  Mostly for that still supplies now as I can make do with knives pots, a fire and a table.))

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:03 pm »

What do you need money for, Norrec? I haven't used any of mine yet...
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:02 pm »

But I'd much rather just trap him in an inescapable blaze of death... Besides, any evidence you bring back will be confiscated by Nikoth, so you'd be better off just assassinating the gate guards and looting their corpses for any money you might need.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:10 pm »

Tools for a still and I should be able to get the rest.  But we're dwarves... WITHOUT A STILL WE WILL DIE!

Also, who said I was going to show Nikoth anything.  I'm going to give you the official evidence, and having you report back for me :D

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »

You're a consultant on the mission, if you report back to Nikoth you'll get payed for your services anyway, so there shouldn't be a need to steal from the Duke. The guards maybe, but not really the Duke.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 11, 2010, 10:49:29 pm »

No I don't get paid as in order to be put on this mission I had to lie and say I was working for a noble and Nikoth said obviously I don't need money as I had a noble benefactor.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 11, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »

You can take what you want, but we're setting this place on fire.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

Tools for a still and I should be able to get the rest.  But we're dwarves... WITHOUT A STILL WE WILL DIE!

I love my wooden liver trait.

Lucky for you all I crave Dwarven Rum (and want to help anyway).  I still have 212 dwarfbucks chipped into the "general essentials" fund.

I'm going to use 100 of that to buy us bedding now!

Stumble out of the tavern, extra-inebriated due to my PARTAY eagerness and my wooden liver.  Decide I need a place to sleep.  Decide I need a sleeping bag.  Go to the shops and look for sleeping bags to buy.

Nevermind!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:01:21 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »

Oh yeah, we'll do that.  So long as I get some phat lewts.

Also, I was going to get the bedding Rolan, as my dwarf wants to set up a fine inn and tavern at Iron.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »

Rolan, Norrec has already bought bedding for us.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 11, 2010, 11:31:59 pm »

IronyOwl
You work furiously, tapping and softening and hardening in a blaze of concentration. You're unfamiliar with these particular surrounds and the work is very delicate, so you only complete four sets of chemist tools.

The master smith admires your effort, so he allows you some more materials and time for your own project. You end up creating a Common set of jewellers tools. The master smith shoos you out while you struggle to carry the huge bundle away.

Samthere
After the initial attempts by the guards to break the vault open, you cough slightly and get the Duke's attention. If you can thwart this robbery, perhaps he will give you an even greater reward. The guards, clad in full plate and with halfpikes, give way as you get to work on the door. Examining the construction reveals that it was indeed designed for keeping people out, not in, so there should be several weaknesses that you can exploit with your knowledge.

The hinges are huge reinforced steel things, but they are completely exposed on this side. You daub them with a certain chemical, which slightly softens the metal. While it reacts, you break open a panel that concealed the locking mechanism. The lock is massive and wouldn't be out of place on a castle gate, and is completely integrated into the door. You next search around the frame of the door, which is steel plates riveted together supported by solid steel bars. The doorway itself is made of solid masonry with a steel rim, which fits perfectly with the door itself when swung shut.

You test a few rivets and joints, but it is all new and finely built. A battering ram would be a more obvious tool, but you have confidence in your toolkit. Realising that the door must be insanely heavy, you come to the conclusion that the hinges are under a great deal of stress. After waiting for the softening to complete you find that the steel has largely resisted it but has still cracked and flaked in spots. You pick the brawniest guard (even moreso than you) and instruct him to start smashing at the hinges with the largest hammer you have. This will take a while to get any effect, and it'll still take more than brute force to open the door.

V-Norrec
Leaving Cog behind with your flour, alcohol and lanterns to guard the vault, you enter the office, which was left unlocked. It is a finely appointed room with carpet, tapestries on the walls and fine wooden furniture. There is a large shelf on the left, a cabinet on the right, and the desk straight ahead. You head straight for the desk, and find that all the drawers are locked. With a well-aimed kick and some prying with your sword, you're able to open each drawer.

Inside you find an envelope sealed by the Duke, a plain silver signet ring with his initials, and a large stack of papers that seem to deal with trade and business.

Lillipad
You send Kas to the storeroom and Nik to the bedroom. Following into the office, you check the shelf. It seems to hold various personal treasures, such as an chipped mug, a letter of thanks, and a bloodstained bolt.

You move over to the cabinet, which opens freely. Inside are bottles of various fine liquors, many of which are rare and distinguished. There are also some crystal goblets and preserved cheeses of unknown vintage.

As you finish examining, Cog enters and tells you that sounds can be heard from inside the vault. They might be trying to break out, but it seems unlikely that they will succeed.

FuzzyZergling
You don't know what it is, but something about this unnamed noble has stuck in your brain. As you sip a drink, you try and think. Given that he survived the pit worm despite losing two limbs, he was obviously able to fight it off. Many nobles train in basic combat, but few ever gain proficiency. So, this man must be linked to the military in some fashion, having found his calling in combat. A command position is highly likely.

You slam your mug down and race outside, heading for the city barracks. You reach it in due time, and weave through the squares of soldiers doing drills. The main building is an impregnable bastion, guarded by elite pikemen. A grim officer with an eyepatch and hook hand standing next to a stack of barrels and crates appears to be the most likely source of information.

CoughDrop
Why doesn't anything interesting ever happen in this city? You take a few clips of throwing knives outside, and pass the time hurling them at a tree trunk. You manage to recover them all in good condition.

Rolan7
You stumble away from the party, kitten and alcohol buzzing in your head. You enter the logistics depot, intent on finding a bed to sleep on, only to find a female dwarf with blades sticking out of her arms beating up a customer. Huh.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 249