A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143238 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:07 pm »

V-Norrec
You start to thump the deck, searching for hollows. Just as you hear the noise you're looking for, you're distracted by the sound of splashing water. You look up and see a barge piled with cargo tearing towards you at what you think is an impressive rate.

Samthere
After some time passes, you haven't experienced any more curse effects. Ertal approaches, too excited to notice your shaken condition.

"I've set it all up! A bribe to a servant means a word in his ear, and he's already in a fluster about the authenticity of the artifact! He set a clerk to find an expert in the matter, and your name 'naturally' came up. You're to report to his estate as soon as possible, no excuses! Here's your papers and the directions, good luck!"

Lillipad
After an eternity of waiting, the docks come into sight. The crew redoubles their efforts, but from your position you can tell this isn't going to end well. The captain notices it too, but by then it's too late. The rudder is ineffective and the propeller is running on momentum.

In an extraordinary combination of dynamics, your barge hits another that's in dock. It pushes the end underwater while ramming it forward, which results in the raised end being caught on land. The massive inertia obtained by your barge allows it to slide up the ramp, lubricated by the wet hull.

Your barge sails through the air, and slams into a waterfront building, momentarily embedded in the wall. The precarious hold is broken by the wall collapsing completely, slamming the barge to the ground in an explosion of rubble and dust.

Captain Nikoth storms out of what used to be his office. "MIKHAAAIL!"

Nirur Torir
You saw everything, but you know that you can never testify against that kitten. You pass some time drawing some theoretical mechanisms.

FuzzyZergling
You bid a passionate farewell to your lady, and she faints at the thought of you leaving.

You go out in search for a metalsmith, which proves to be quite easy and uneventful. You find a well-stocked forgeworks, maintained by a crew of operators under the supervision of a master smith. They appear to be between jobs, so you can approach without him biting your head off.

Hastur
Standing outside the expedition depot, there aren't too many crowds. There's a familiar dwarf on a bench sketching something, and a row of shops and storerooms line the opposite side of the street. You saw a kitten kill a man, but there's nothing you can do about that now. Your golem is creaking behind you.

Coughdrop
Liking your new plan more, you go back and place some plump helmets in the back of the cage. You sneak around the shelves until you find the scarab, which has been wandering around. You place the cage on the ground and slide it towards the beast, and the movement gets its attention. You back off a bit and it investigates the cage, then detects the mushrooms inside. It scuttles in and you manage to close the door before it panics. Once it realises that it's trapped, it goes back to eating the mushrooms.

You take the loaded cage back to the entrance, where the supervisor is beaming while cringing. He asks what sort of food or drink you would like.

Rolan7
Thinking that Denrhymed deserves some fresh air, you take them outside. While she frolics with the chipmunks and robins, you take some practice swings with your battle axe. It's not a hatchet, but the theory is the same and soon you've cut down a fragile sapling! You're quite exhausted by the learning experience, and stop for the moment. Denrhymed is nowhere in sight, but you're sure that she's fine.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

"How much would a few prosthetic limbs of good quality cost?"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

I examine the golem, trying to figure out how it works. I'll ignore the dwarf leading it.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:09 pm »

I'm a cop movie dwarf, who just imitated the Dukes of Hazard with a barge. Man, this game likes to throw weird things at me.

I'll have the recruits get Tholtig to a medical facility, now, and report the events that transpired in the cave to Nikoth.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:56:18 pm by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »

Try to get out of water if I am in the water.  Check on the status of my barge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 10, 2010, 09:03:29 pm »

See if Denrhymed is atop my head.  If not, load my crossbow and be alert - she may have found something, probably an animal, but maybe something more dangerous...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:50 pm »

Gar: "One thing; would you rather I say it's fake and try to take it, say I can't tell and try to take it, or say it's real and leave it? Or something else? Also, while I'm out on this, do me a favour and find out if ye know anyone who knows the extent of carnie revenge."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:27:46 pm by Samthere »

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 10, 2010, 09:16:32 pm »

"I'll take a barrel of cave crab, rum, and... some pure alcohol should come in handy. Have a nice day." Find a cart to put the three barrels in and try to put the caged scarab on top. Take this all to there rest of the embark cargo.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »

FuzzyZergling
The smith pauses, struck by your odd request. He thinks for a moment then says,

"Each one has to be made custom to the limb, of course. The usefulness of them is dependent on how much of the limb is remaining. A new hand is easy and can be very useful, but replacing an entire arm or leg is difficult and there's only so much that can be automated. High quality ones are made of steel shells, otherwise carved wood would do. If you're looking for the finest possible, it might do to use aluminium. The light weight means more reinforcement can be used, but that means more material. Now, for a fully articulated limb, from the shoulder or hip down..."

He quotes a price for steel that makes you pale. The aluminium one is even worse. You're not planning on actually buying them, fortunately.

Nirur Torir
You go over to the iron golem that has been standing nearby for a while. It resembles a cross between a cast iron statue and a suit of plate mail. All the joints are articulated, but it has a flexibility that shouldn't really be possible. You know that they have to be specially crafted by master smiths, and given all sorts of treatments to prepare it. Finally a priest carves runes in it and with the assistance of the gods, it is animated.

Some say that it's a dwarf soul returned to service, but no golem has ever indicated that, except the ones that are improperly prepared and go on a rampage. There are rumours that attempts to make a better golem resulted in a large number going rogue, but nothing was ever substantiated.

This particular golem was once a fine specimen, but after an age of service it's starting to fail. You don't know how the runes are holding up, but you can tell that the joints and other mechanisms are starting to crack and fail.

Lillipad
Your incredible escapades are over, though you have caused significant property damage. After the immediate shock of the impact, Tholtig gets taken away on a cart by medics to the finest hospital in the city. You, the recruits and the crew get debriefed by Nikoth, who softens considerably after hearing how you fought off goblins, a troll and returned mostly intact.

He's very concerned about how so many goblins have gotten so close to the docks. There are few fortifications down here, and if they attacked they could do significant damage to the city before being driven off. That they brought a troll implies significant investment, and they must have some sort of craft for ferrying troops and supplies.

The biggest puzzle is why they revealed their presence by raiding barges. Even if you hadn't discovered them, an increased military presence on the docks and on barges would have occurred anyway. He's not sure, but it's entirely possible that they simply didn't think their plan through properly.

Despite your loose cannon behaviour, he recognises that you are a hero for getting everybody out alive. You've earned that chain mail, and a commendation for valour.

V-Norrec
When you saw the barge hurtling towards you, you took a flying leap off and onto the pier. You saw the incredible barge-acrobatics from up close, and boggled as it shot through the air.

Fortunately, your barge is OK. After the ordeal, it simply slid off the dock and slapped back onto the water, a little scratched but intact. Are the gods still out to get you? This is so confusing.

Rolan7
You search on top of your head. Yep, Denrhymed is there. How cute!

Samthere
"I don't want you to risk your life on this for me. Try and judge his mood, as he might fly into a rage. I would be thrilled to have it back, but all I'm asking is that you confirm that it's there, and maybe bring back some information on his security. I can find others, more suited to the job after that.

"Carnie Revenge? That's just some spooky legends that they use to scare away customers who keep winning. Nothing but superstition, I'm sure."

Coughdrop
You tell him your desire for one barrel of crabs, rum and pure alcohol each, and he happily complies. He tells you that it'll get sent up by order, along with the scarab.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »

Gar: "Alright, I'll be on my way!" Gar heads hurriedly to the destination.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »

I am so joining this. How much of a character do we need to join in on the pre-embark shenanigans?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2010, 09:40:01 pm »

Well, that is rather inopportune. I head up to the medical area, to see if I can get some work.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:02 pm »

Do tame pets actually eat food?
And do you guys think it'd be ok if I bought us some bedding to start out with, or are we going to be able to set up all the beds first anyway?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »

Out of character, do we have the bases covered?

I think we lack a carpenter, so beds may be a problem.  Unless we're shelling out 550☼ for:
Expedition Tent 300☼ Large
A crude cloth shelter, capable of protecting seven dwarves from sun, snow, rain or wind.
Expedition Bedding 100☼ (7)Small
A bundle of seven pieces of blankets and cushions, used for sleeping comfortably on the ground or beds.
Expedition Furniture 150☼ (9)Medium

Ochita is a novice cave farmer, and I'm a skilled herbalist.  Someone also bought a few chickens, and I have one, so that's a source of eggs.  So I think we're OK for food, at least at first.

Did the dwarves that need workshops, buy the equipment they need or have enough money to do so?  I'm not sure how that works.

I think Ochita needs a shovel, and perhaps I should get one too if I'm going to make surface plots.  Or maybe we can share one, it's kinda heavy to lug around anyway.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »

Is it possible to bring along more than the 7 initial dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 249