A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143251 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »

It's not that part I don't get, it's the fact that you go looking for the unused warehouses right away.  I found a note that pointed me in that direction.  As far as you know though the murderer is just hiding in that pitch black level path I elected not to take.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2010, 05:59:44 pm »

Fine, go down the pitch black level. If there's nothing there accept common thugs to use dwarven interrogation on, search the map for unused buildings. Meh.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2010, 06:01:27 pm »

Lillipad
You search in the room, looking for more clues. You find a head, seemingly severed by a mighty blow. You hypothesise that the two people struggled, culminating in one being decapitated by a chair strike, then the other succumbed to stab wounds. His face looks familiar. Ah, yes! You saw it on a wanted poster. He (was) involved in smuggling and extortion. You know that if he was shanking someone, something must be going down in the warehouse district.

Nirur Torir
Oh, you don't need to buy writing tools. A dwarf will use anything they can. Technically you already have some ink and tools in your personal effects, but you could also use a stick of charcoal, mud, or even blood if you want to say so.
At the shops, there are certain things that you can do. You can just buy things and be done with it, or you can talk to the owner, investigate something odd, and so on.

Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2010, 06:04:52 pm »

I hope somebody decides to be a farmer.

I'm a herbalist!  I also have living touch, so maybe I'll end up surface farming.  Or maybe I'd rather leave the land wild, hm.

Rolan7
The stall owner is surprised. Everybody is happy to just get a chicken, nobody ever wagers cash on it. He agrees to it, though.

You take a look at the chicken. It gives you that look. You bites its head off like a guillotine on a peasant. You swallow hard and hold your stomach, while the body flails about. The stall owner is surprised, and grudgingly hands over the 100☼. You resolve to eat the rest of the chicken tonight, cooked.

You should get one trait of each type, so 6 plus the Surfacer traits, unless you pick ones that cancel them out.

Awesome, and awesome!  I was sad I couldn't pick more traits, they were so interesting.  I updated my character sheet.

Go to the armorer to purchase the leather armor, ask him about its use.  Also, what's it made from?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:03 pm »

Find anything in case I find the upstanding citizen who decapitated this criminal so he/she may claim their reward. If not, then I can always just return the head myself without accepting any juicy rewards for it.
Search the map for any unused warehouses, and file a report as I search through them one by one, giving any upstanding citizens a chance to prepare any acceptance speeches for the head/reward.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2010, 06:07:38 pm »

Wait, does that mean I get reward for killing him. Lilli come here and give me reward!

Action:  Wait for people to arrive, hide until then, try to move something in front of myself for protection, like a barrel of ale.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:22 pm »

One would assume a reward would be offered for slaying a hardened criminal on the wanted list.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »

Well you and me I guess are about to slay a whole cabal of them.  We're going to be rich!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »

At the shops, there are certain things that you can do. You can just buy things and be done with it, or you can talk to the owner, investigate something odd, and so on.
In that case, I'll enter the armory after breakfast to look around. Upon noticing the ballista, I'll examine it to try to figure out if something's wrong with it.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »

Rolan7
You ask the veteran about the use of padded leather armour.

He animates, eager to talk to somebody. Leather armour is soft and flexible, and can be worn underneath other, heavier armours. Its padding means that bludgeoning attacks that would otherwise render plate or chain useless can be harmlessly absorbed. It is also a good insulator, good for keeping warm. However, it is less than optimal against other attacks, which can simply tear or pierce it. This particular suit is made from tanned Mountain Goat. It even has a little fur trim.

Lillipad
Seeing the value in a criminal's head, you wrap it in cloth and loop it on your belt. You're sure that his death was cause by the bloody corpse on the ground, but evidence is evidence. You head out to the warehouse district, but the area is huge and searching it could take weeks.

V-Norrec
You fortify your position with some barrels. It's not very practical, but you feel very cool. It's like you're in your own fort! After some more time passes, you hear footsteps and voices outside. A dwarf backs in through the doorway, carrying one end of a large crate.

At this range, with unaware enemies, the shot couldn't be easier. You've had it lined up for hours, and you've practised the operations a few times. The log-sized bolt leaps forward, propelled by massive amounts of energy.

It tears through the first dwarf's chest, and the crate, and the dwarf on the other side. Another one gets hit in the left hand.

The first two are somewhat exploded, while the third is missing his left hand. The crate has exploded, spraying fine gold dust over the scene. Two more dwarves are standing just outside the doorway, currently gaping at the destruction and sacks dropped at their feet. They'll probably try to kill you soon, and there might be more coming.

Nirur Torir
You are intrigued by the ballista. Such weapons can decide the fate of sieges. You give it a look-over, but you can't find anything wrong with its mechanisms. The frame seems to be in good condition. The bolts are solid wood, and the heads on them aren't cracked or rusted. The weaponmaster sees you and gives you a hard look.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2010, 06:29:33 pm »

Stroke beard in a thinking manner, and use my supernatural senses in an attempt to find any warehouses with upstanding citizens just waiting to be awarded for their valor against crime.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

Let out a terrifing battleshout!!!  Then point the crossbow at the chest of the dwarf missing the hand, fire at him.  Then take out my quarterstaff and begin beating on the two standing outside.

Hope you're close enough to hear that shout Lilli.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »

Deciding that annoying military veterans is a bad idea, I'll comment on what a nice ballista it is, then just go wait by the caravan for my future companions. I will, of course, ensure that all my purchased goods are in order.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:54 pm »

Rolan7
You ask the veteran about the use of padded leather armour.

He animates, eager to talk to somebody. Leather armour is soft and flexible, and can be worn underneath other, heavier armours. Its padding means that bludgeoning attacks that would otherwise render plate or chain useless can be harmlessly absorbed. It is also a good insulator, good for keeping warm. However, it is less than optimal against other attacks, which can simply tear or pierce it. This particular suit is made from tanned Mountain Goat. It even has a little fur trim.

Perfect for this cold destination!  I wonder if I killed that particular Mountain Goat.
He seems talkative, which is kinda nice.  I keep him going, enjoying the feeling of inclusion.  What *is* tanning, anyway?
Once the conversation ends, I pay him (I wouldn't dream of haggling) and try on the armor, if it goes over my clothes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:02 pm »

Well heres my character sheet..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I speak to the nervous dwarf, using my trait of consoling to see whats up.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 249