A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142897 times)

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #870 on: November 13, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »

Go out and relieve some stress via practicing with my throwing knives on an unowned tree.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:02 pm »

But what did I learn? :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:13 pm »

I'll go back to the caravan, resisting the urge to burn the place down in a loose cannon manner in a hard-boiled manner. This town holds nothing for me. At the caravan I'll practice my Marksmanship with the bolts the assigned guards won't have a use for.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »

I make another stattuete out of stone, this time it is a statuette of an elephant

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »

Bah, I'll compile my notes and samples later. For the moment, leave the tavern and head to the wealthier parts of town, trying to see what's in demand for the upper/middle class.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »

Bah, this place is just like the fortress, but above-ground.  People everywhere I look.  They may be taller, but they look at me with the same disdain as back "home".

Thank the cows for not judging me, and go to the bar.  Find some solitary-looking human drinking there and ask what they think of elves.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 13, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »

Lillipad and CoughDrop
Bored by the inactivity at the tavern, you both practice some marksmanship on a tree. By the time you're done it's a bit chipped, but nobody should mind.

IronyOwl
During your intense investigations, you discovered the following facts:

The favourite tavern foods are beef, cow cheese and wheat bread.
The favourite tavern drinks are wheat beer, sugar cane rum, and honeybee mead.
The barman has a glass eye.
Furniture is constructed of wooden components secured by iron nails and bolt, held together by an animal-based glue.
The tavern is constructed on a foundation of stone masonry with buttressed wooden supports.
The climate here is fairly mild.
The town is governed by a council of eighteen councillors elected by popular vote, who then vote on who among them gets to be mayor. 
The military organisation is distinctly separate from the civilian government.
The mayor and highest-ranking military officer (currently a Knight-Captain) report directly to the Duke.
The Duke is beholden to the King, who rules from another city.
A local priest fears for his life.
Recent harvests have been good these past months.
There is little unrest among the lower class.
The town is designed roughly on a grid-based road system, with variations accounting for changes in elevation and the flow of the river.
The town is encrcled by masonry walls with wooden palisades protecting some of the farmland. The gatehouses use a portcullis.
The primary resource of this area is agriculture which is exported to other regions.
It is infrequently attacked by hordes moving from the south.

Not finding anything interesting, you move on, looking for the rich districts. You're not allowed into the Duchal palace, but you find some servants who work there. They recommend fine glassware, silks, exotics hides, and rare underground products of all kinds.

Rolan7
You head for the tavern, meeting some other teammates. You find a likely-looking human and ask him about elves.

He's a peasant, and tells you that what little he knows is from traders and bards tales. Haughty, fine-featured people who live in forests, who ride out at the direst moment to reverse the tide of evil, but otherwise uninvolved in world events. He hasn't really been affected by them, but he wouldn't mind meeting one.

Hastur
You take another jab at the rock, and form it into a nice little elephant. It's quite pretty.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 13, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

So, have I compared the relative successes and failures between the respective beers?

Attempt to gather the humans in a drinking song.
Lets go for one of the more universal ones... "Hitting a Goblin In the Head with a Hammer".

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 13, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »

FuzzyZergling
As you had leapt from the wagon some distance from the gates, it takes some time to reach the tavern. You're guided by your nose for booze.

You collapse in front of the bar, gasping for a drink. Unsure what you want, the barman gives you a cave beer and a wheat beer. You chug them down in the blink of an eye, and he gives you two more, which you take time to savour.

While the cave beer has a distinctly earthy taste, the wheat beer seems very light and airy in comparison. You note that it has much fewer floating particulates in it. While it is easier to drink, you still like the cave beer for its strong taste and kick.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »

After a brief drink, I'll look for a human 'mechanic.' I'm interested in seeing their imitation of my craft.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 13, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »

I'll chop down the practice tree, and haul it back to sit with the other. I should still remember a bit of how I chopped down the last one thanks to a very short a black&white flashback I'll inevitably have about it, so chopping it down without mangling it should be possible. Once that's out of the way I'll familiarize myself with the pick, as the leader did before.
I'll finish the day by reviewing what little of crossbow design, construction, and maintenance I know, and going to sleep in my wagon in a hard-boiled manner.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:29:06 pm by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 13, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »

Dwarven kick is the best kind of kick. Or so I'm told.

Attempt to gather the humans in a drinking song.
Lets go for one of the more universal ones... "Hitting a Goblin In the Head with a Hammer".

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »

Tell the caravan guards that there have been scattered reports of goblins on the road to Iron. So keep a lookout.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 13, 2010, 10:27:01 pm »

yay *I carve a stone Triceratops next... and if nobody is watching the dino and the elephant will fight briefly. Then begin training a male chicken into a fighting rooster

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 13, 2010, 10:28:17 pm »

Fascinating.

I think I know where wheat comes from, so look around and see if I can find where they produce honey and sugar cane, or someone who would know such things.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 249