A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143197 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »

I can make the furniture out of stone.

Did the dwarves that need workshops, buy the equipment they need or have enough money to do so?  I'm not sure how that works.

Thanks for the reminder. I was hoping for a more dedicated mason, but since we lack one, I'll have to swap out my forge set. Hopefully I'll be able to make at least basic forge tools out of stone.

I request to have my forge toolkit swapped out for a mason's toolkit.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »

Get back on that barge and find the hollow spot again.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »

I don't really have much else to do in the Mountainhome, unless you're expecting me to eradicate the goblins and troll in some sort of one-man-army type of vigilante deal.
I'll wait for the news on Tholtig in a hard-boiled manner. I will also contemplate throwing my leather cap down in disgust.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »

Well Lilli, I might be needing a hard-boiled cop guard to assist me with taking down the guys who stole stuff from the Royal Armory and put it in my warehouse, would you like to join up?

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »

If we can ever stop missing each other I'd be happy to help any UPSTANDING CITIZENSWHO MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE GONE ROGUE I happen upon.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »

OOC: Night all, look forward to tomorrow!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2010, 11:25:17 pm »

Pets
Many of the animals don't need explicit care. Kittens, chickens and puppies will eat food scraps and vermin and generally scavenge, scarabs will eat scraps, vermin and can root around in caves, cows need to graze on grass, or be supplied with a substitute. Purring maggots excrete a corrosive fluid that they use to digest rock (also for dwarven milk). You might use actual food as treats or bait. Larger animals that have higher energy requirements, like cats and dogs need to be fed a meal once a day, or they will eat scraps and vermin but be sulky about it.

Tents, bedding, furniture
A tent isn't necessary, but if your guy gets rained or snowed on it really annoys them. It can also keep them warm, and keeps skyfallers and light-blind dwarfs from suffering.

The bedding lets you sleep more comfortably than one the rough ground, it's a comfort issue. They can be combined with a bed frame for the ultimate bed.

The furniture is also comfort-based, since they can sit down to rest or eat. You can also use the tables for workshops.

So if you send out your dwarfs and they have to sleep in the snowy ground in the freezing air while they get covered by snowfall in the night and then have to stand around and eat their raw meals... they won't be too happy.

Workshops
In case you missed it, a workshop needs relevant tools and a flat surface, and an anvil if it's a forge. For example, the kitchen includes all the knives and processors and pots and pans and a stove and an oven. You can cook without it, but it would be limited to "Put meat on stick. Put stick over campfire. Eat burned meat". A flat surface can be a boulder or log (bad) a stone block or wooden beam (okay) or a table (as good as it's quality).

Why is an anvil a separate item? Because they're great for dropping from traps.

We might just lump everyone into one expedition, especially if it would only be a couple over 7. It's not traditional, but damnit, we'll find a way!

Samthere
Armed with a notice from Duke Riggoth von Nuremburger (what an odd name) to report for vital metalwork, you head out for his estate. His guards part before you, and you look suitably bewildered as you are shown through a maze of hallways and rooms, until you meet the Duke himself, a gold-studded dwarf with a ponytail and short beard.

He insists that you have been brought up on a matter of great importance, and your secrecy on the matter will be greatly rewarded. He explains that an archaeological dig sponsored by him has recently uncovered a previously unknown artifact, a great black bronze gauntlet. However, he is unsure if it is the real item, or if his servants swapped it for a replica before it reached him.

He wishes for you to examine its metalwork, and discover if it really is an ancient relic, or a skilful replica. If you can determine its origin with certainty and prevent this matter from leaking out into common knowledge, great riches will be yours.

FuzzyZergling
Put off by the high prices, you head for the hospital. A young recruit has just been brought up on a cart, and the medics say that he's sustained broken bones and internal injuries. All of the other surgeons are busy, and he might die before they get to him.

Lillipad
You pace back and forth, on the verge of rage. You know that you did the best you could, but it wasn't good enough, damn it! While Nikoth reports the incursion to his superiors, you have nothing to do except admire the destruction you caused. All the other recruits are shaken, but glad to be alive.

V-Norrec
You give no mind to whoever almost killed you with a ramped barge, get back on your vessel, and try to find the spot that you had found earlier. It's quickly done, and there is definitely a hollow space. You look around for some sort of crack or joint that reveals a hatch, but you can't find anything.

The wood is slightly warped from the impact of the other barge hitting the weakened deck, so you get an idea. You jump up and down, landing your weight as hard as you can on the spot. At first there's nothing, but the wood cracks and splinters as you keep applying force. Eventually it reaches a point where you can grab the boards and tear the sections apart. It reveals a hidden compartment, though you can't tell how it is supposed to be accessed.

There is a small oiled leather package inside, suitable for keeping water out.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2010, 11:29:27 pm »

Get package and investigate.  Then head to the Guard Station as say I have a lead on who invaded my warehouse.  Ask for the most hard-boiled guard they have to join me as I investigate.  Also ask if I can have the crossbow and 2 quivers full of bolts back, for protection purposes, of course.  Oh and complain about the damage done to my barge.  Ask to have it fixed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:37:29 pm by V-Norrec »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2010, 11:34:46 pm »

I have them bring me to this recruit, a dwarf half alive, so that I may operate on him.
And then I operate on him.

Doctor powers, activate!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »

I admire the kitten on that dwarf's head. I sure wish I'd been able to afford a kitten.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2010, 11:38:42 pm »

I shall stroke my beard in a hard-boiled/loose cannon/solemn manner as I continue awaiting new orders and the news of Tholtig.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:08 pm »

Rolan7
You search on top of your head. Yep, Denrhymed is there. How cute!

Ah, excellent, and not worrying in the least.
Wave to Nirurtorir, and let him pet the Denrhymed (still on me head).  Then go hunting for small game in the forest.  Just doing my part for the Mountainhome, while I'm still here.  I wonder how Denrhymed will react to crossbow-based hunting?

As for supplies, Tongsletter may be hardy, but we're going somewhere cold.  IMHO we should take the 100☼ bedding at least, and the 150☼ furniture.  Chairs are such a comfort when camping, and the tables can be used as quality workshop surfaces.
I think we can forget the 300☼ tent if we just dig a quickly and throw the bedding in.  Not super comfortable, but safe from the wind and precipitation.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 10, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »

Is anyone else kind of horrified that I'm the only person with pickaxes, and the Miner skill at the moment?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 10, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »

Nah, not really, I'm trying to gather up enough money to get everything I have planned.  Of course, I'll admit it's not really working out like I hoped.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2010, 12:04:48 am »

V-Norrec
You open the tightly wrapped package. It contains a gold ring studded with an emerald. On the inside of the band are the letters 'RN'. There is also a note, slightly damp but legible.
After the goods are unloaded, use my signet to get admittance with the top-contact at that end. Tell her that the windfall is complete. Return with her message. Destroy this note after you read it.

The vagueness of it is troubling, but you think that the agent was supposed to access the package after reaching a destination, most likely to deal in the goods you discovered in the warehouses. There must be high-power players at each end if an emerald and gold ring is used as a token.

You take the note and ring over to Captain Nikoth, who is surveying his ruined office. Once you explain where they're from, he explains that the deed to the premises you found was made for a dummy company, used for smuggling goods. It would appear that a careless goon had pawned it off for a quick profit without knowing what it was.

He rejects your request for weapons, since you're just a random civilian covered in blood. Your staff should prove useful enough for keeping alive. You begin to protest, but realise that it's pointless.

Too late you realise that he also didn't return the ring and note. Why does everything good around you turn bad? Oh, right. Stupid gods. Wait, did they hear that? LALALALALA I'M NOT BEING RESENTFUL

FuzzyZergling
You are thrown into the maelstrom of the operating slab! Your patient is a young male dwarf of good health, but now suffering from a mangled chest. You struggle to remember your training as attendants bring you water, soap, pure alcohol, thread, needles, saws, clamps and everything else you'll possibly need.

How do you do this again?
The ribs and sternum are cracked and twisted.
The organs are bruised and slightly pierced by bone. There's bleeding from ruptured vessels.
The skin, fat, and muscles are torn and bleeding.

You won't have time for a do-over once you open him up.

Nirur Torir
You outwardly admire the kitten, inwardly fearing for your life. You wish that you had a kitten. Kittens are good.

Lillipad
You see a ragged peasant approach and talk to Nikoth. She hands over a small package and have a discussion. You see the glint of gold and jewels changing hands, and what looks like a note. What's this? A bribe?

Rolan7
You continue wearing The Denrhymed like a hat, though some would say it's more like a mind control slug. A dwarf approaches and mechanically pets it softly. You feel the urge to hunt for food. You look around for mice and rats, but you can't see any, so you heft your crossbow and go into the lightly wooded lands surrounding the fortress entrance. Unfortunately, most of the wild animals have left, long since learning to avoid the settlement. You feel an urge to poach from a surface farm, but you're not sure if that's morally correct.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 249