A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142838 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cobalt Fortress: Days 14-18: Aftermath of the Mild Anxiety
« Reply #2985 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:41 am »

*Listens, growing agitated*
"No, this isn't good.  Not at all.  I made a shrine to Kun and asked for guidance, not intervention... and heard nothing.  Can she even hear us?  Why can Tholtig contact her deity?  This won't do.  Not at all, not at all."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:45 am »

"Guidance is still a sort of intervention, with knowledge, or wisdom if you prefer.  I plan on contacting Hipobis and letting him know what happened at the cave today.  It was powerful, by dwarven standards, but I have a feeling that was only a minor portal to hell.  The insect didn't directly try to harm us.  If anything, I would say it was some kind of scouting party, looking for somewhere safe to come into this world.  We must remain vigilant though, who knows how many more of those things might be scattered around the area."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: January 04, 2011, 01:53:57 am »

"Tholig can contact anorexim due to his special case of divinity and his blessing to her. Norrec. I KEEP ON SAYING, its... was... extremely powerful. We were nothing compared to it, like a spec of dust."
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:04 am »

"We were, it was nothing compared to the power of a God though.  Once I get in contact with Hipobis again, we will see what he makes of the portal.  I personally believe if it was a full-fledged demon portal, there would have been far more demons, and I wouldn't have been able to destroy it merely by bashing an iron buckler into it.  Until we get A god to weigh in on the implications behind the portal though, we have no reliable means to measure it's power and it's pointless to debate it."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: January 04, 2011, 02:02:47 am »

:o :o"I got Anorexim. He told me all about it. If you need I can say it out word for word."
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:11:49 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:30 am »

((I hate his name, it's so hard to remember))

"Well that changes things then, doesn't it.  Still, there isn't much else we can do without some guidance.  For now let's just get back to work until we discover more about this."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: January 04, 2011, 02:17:55 am »

"I'll tell what I know... Tholtig told him about what happened, we are nothing to some ancient and powerful powerful forces. We encountered one. The gods are most likely busy and all of the magic that we had done was probably like fog in a way. Plus about the portal, it was standing on its own. The crystal must be strong. It was not a matter to trifle, regardless of what was using it. It had more power then what most religions hold.... I tried to ask about the fragments of crystal but I didn't get a reply. Thats all I got."

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: January 04, 2011, 02:32:56 am »

"Still even with that information, our fundamental course of action remains unchanged.  We must work for towards getting more food so that we can worry about tomorrow, otherwise we're not going to be around long enough to worry about any implications this may have.  Unless we learn that there are more of these crystals in the immediate vicinity, or that the job isn't finished yet, there is not reason to assume we didn't successfully avert disaster."

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: January 04, 2011, 03:25:18 am »

What transpired in the week:

Norrec went exploring in the forest. She found that weird cave again, and saw some unusual happenings. She came back with help, and together they discovered a fearsome beast and a portal. Urist and Norrec fell through it, killed the beast and returned. Nobody was hurt, and Mikhail's food stash was discovered. No sign of his weapons and armour.

Overall there is a feeling that the heady early days are over, and now it's really getting serious.

You all smell kind of bad by now.

Food
Due to the dwindling food supply, many members went out to find food in the forest through hunting and foraging. A total of 13 Trail Berries, 7 Forest Truffles and a solitary Rabbit were found. The rabbit was butchered, providing a few meals worth of meat.

The chickens have started laying eggs, which were combined with fresh Maggot Milk by Norrec to create omelettes. A total of 12 Dwarf Omelettes were made. They, along with the rest of the prepared food were eaten.

The three mules in camp are oblivious to their potential fate.

Work started on making an underground farm. The north-east room was prepared by placing a substrate of soil and rotting material across the floor, making it unpleasant to be in but suitable for growing subterranean plants and fungi.

Mining
Further digging continued, though the work was somewhat impaired by the lack of lighting. Litast's glow scarab could only help so much, but at least there were skilled hands to hold the picks. 16 squares were excavated, producing 13 boulders and 6 piles of rubble.

Gar insists that there is some sort of ore to the east of the north-east room.

If digging were to proceed at maximum efficiency, precious oil would have to be burned.

Animals
One of Tholtig's puppies and Sandow's roosters each disappeared sometime this week. There are no culprits.

Golem
Sandow's golem was getting dangerously close to critical failure. In order to prevent this, Kogan went to town on it and replaced its guts with shiny new components. Tholtig also helped, and solidified the animating forces that were beginning to fade. As it is neither destroyed or berserk, it can only be assumed by the others that it was properly serviced.

Building
Kogan calculates that his wall would have a built footprint of 219 units, plus 11 using the natural cliff formations. Further planning would have to be done regarding how it changes with the gatehouse and river, and the materials used.

Manufacturing
A few boulders were cut into blocks, and Gar used some of these to quickly build himself a table, seat and fitting-less door. This consumed the last of the metal fittings, so more will have to be produced, traded or scavenged.

Norrec also spontaneously carved a crude statue of Hipobis out of logs. It was pretty crude.

Without fittings, work quality will drop well below Common.
Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:56:47 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: January 04, 2011, 03:40:30 am »

Did I do either of my distractions?

Edit:  Or get in contact with Hipobis to inform him of the most recent events?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: January 04, 2011, 03:47:32 am »

Midnight-5:  Work
5-6:  Breakfast
6-8:  Socialize/take care of horse/collect chicken eggs.
8-Noon:  Work
Noon-8:  Sleep
8-9:  Dinner
9-10:  Pray to Hipobis, thanking him for his guidance through out the day, as well as all he has done for me.
10-12:  Work

Socialization:  Primarily with Urist and Litast, but also Tholtig and Adil.

Work:

Priority 1:  Go into forest, collect as many brewable plants as possible, once a barrel's worth is collected brew into some kind of alcoholic beverage (probably Trail Spirits by the look of it). 

Priority 2:  Cooking chicken eggs and any maggot milk into Dwarven Omelettes.  Cook all Chicken Meat, Deer Meat, Maggot Meat, and Rabbit Meat into Pot Luck Roasts

Priority 3:  Assist with planting the Plump Helmet farm

Priority 4:  Make beds from beams of wood, request more metal fittings from Gar, give Tholtig the next bed, followed by Adil.

Priority 5:  If making beds becomes impossible due to lack of metal fittings (i.e. don't make them if there are no metal fittings), and no help is needed farming, assist the mining operations.

If any animal or animal tracks are encountered, I am to try and hunt them down as best I can.

Distraction 1:  "Hmmmm, my shrine to Hipobis seems incomplete... I KNOW, DECORATION!!!"  Carve an epic story of Hipobis killing goblins into the base of the statue!

Distraction 2:  "Awww, the poor chickens are being picked off by some kind of wolf or something."  Comfort chickens for the loss of a rooster, contemplate building an animal pen for them.

Distraction 3:  "... What smells?"  Dig out ice, fill barrel, wait for it to melt, take off all clothes, take bath, don't use soap, then clean clothes, empty barrel down stream a bit.

Inventory:  Personal Leather Armor, Crossbow, 1 Quiver with 10 bolts, backpack, shortsword and buckler

"Kogan you wanker, why'd you waste all the metal fittings for some damn golem the noble is only going to use to fan himself with.  There are so many more useful things those could have been used for, LIKE ANYTHING ELSE!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:15:32 pm by V-Norrec »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2997 on: January 04, 2011, 04:44:39 am »

I'm not changing my schedule at the moment.

HOWEVER:

I will co-opt the Golem and see if I can put it to work in some way, either mining or defending the entrance to the valley.

Also:

"None of you can contact your gods? That's strange, because the day before we went out to the cave, I was visited by Akil in a dream and he told me that 'War will come to the Warhold of Icy Winds'. We had best prepare. I am requisitioning that Golem as a sentinel unit. Any other ideas to help defend us would be welcome."

I will also pray to Akil and hope that he, unlike the other gods, can still be contacted. If I can contact him, I will ask for the wisdom to defend our home properly and the inspiration to do it Dwarvenly.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: January 04, 2011, 04:52:56 am »

00:00-05:00 Sleep
05:00-06:00 Eat breakfast with Norrec
06:00-08:00 Have a quick chat with Norrec and others, seeing if they are particulery worried about anything and just seeing what their needs are. Go into the forest to collect flowers and herbs, bring a bowl and dagger.
08:00-08:40 Set up my chemistry kit.
8:40-12:00 See what I can extract from the flowers and non-edible herbs.
12:00-18:00 Work
18:00-22:00 Make a Granite Plate that has engravings of ivy around the rim
22:00-24:00 Sleep after dinner.

Work
#1: Make a long Granite Block.
#2: Help with the farm.
#3: Test the crystals for magic, add a small amount of ash to one, also ash to something alive like a flower

Stuff to do when there is free time.
#1: Think of the tavern, how well could it be done?
#2: If norrec does engrave the statue then help her.
#3: If the ashes happen to wither the flower then tell the others.
#4: Try to make the shrine to kun nicer. Offer some spare flowers to please her.

I would like to gain Delicate crafter.

Also: Hey, Norrec... Do you think you could teach a couple of things about fighting? I want to go into the forest to collect herbs, flowers and all that to produce some trade goods. And with wolves.... A dagger will kill them but I would get hurt, possibly badly hurt.

I kinda made up a song for kun by the way...  :-\
Spoiler: The Dawn of days (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:16:47 am by Ochita »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:19 am »

I had to reshuffle the first few posts a bit, as they were actually hitting the character limit. There are links at the top of the page, though.

Basically the character list from the first post is now the second post.

If you have any suggestions or questions, such as "Where the hell is ***?" or "How the hell do I ***?" tell me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:50:29 am by Shade-o »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 249