A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142961 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #2055 on: November 23, 2010, 02:39:28 am »

I believe all soil in DF holds water just fine, unless it's an aquifer level.

In terms of the tunnel, if we're going to encase it in stone we'll probably need some more people producing rock blocks as well. We'd need a full 8 to completely surround it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:51 am »

If I'm interpreting this map right, assuming you rush straight to the river and ignore carving out the cistern for now, you have 46 tiles to go before getting to the river. Last turn, the dwarves dug out 5 tiles - generally, one tile for each dwarf. So it seems unlikely that we should finish quickly without a focused effort on the part of all available miners... I agree that Sam would do well to dig out the tunnel.
Nevertheless, it's a game, which gets boring when someone just orders everyone around... so if they want to screw around, I'll support that too (heck, screwing around is practically the purpose of the game).

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:26 am »

The plan is actually to dig the floodgate area first - the river is still totally frozen. We then install the floodgate and finish mining the rest of the humble abode.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 23, 2010, 02:46:10 am »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. To dig from where you have gotten so far (just north of z0) to the river, that's 46 tiles... unless you're going to dig a ramp into the river and then dig it out that way? Well, that's only 6 tiles then. If most of the miners dig today and tomorrow, it should be finished.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 23, 2010, 02:49:18 am »

We're digging a ramp in the river.  Also, we should only need 2 stone blocks for the walls, everything else should be OK...  Heck, it might even be stone down there anyhow, if it is we can just skip the whole turn the boulders into blocks and then into walls, we can just put the floodgate down there and go dig the Southern rooms.  Also, half the dwarves here don't know crap about digging.  As a peasant I start off at an advantage for physical labor like this, with me working for 12 hours on this nonsense we should get done at a moderate clip, who knows, might even have enough time left over to get the southern rooms going so we can start farming the crap out of it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:53:57 am by V-Norrec »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: November 23, 2010, 03:09:06 am »

You can cut handholds in the soil walls so you won't have any trouble getting in and out of the pit. The real question is how to get dirt up two levels...
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 23, 2010, 03:16:48 am »

Can we carve a ramp in the soil/ice and walk up with soil in our backpacks? Or tie bins/barrels to rope, fill them with soil, and then pull them up?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 23, 2010, 03:47:26 am »

Obok Otunmeng wanders into camp at mid-morning, pulling a cart loaded with supplies. Having missed out on the caravan but not lacking in willpower and resourcefulness, he set out on his own to win glory for himself and his family. His interests include fishing and record keeping, and comes from a servant background.

His journey to the Cliffs was remarkably unremarkable, but he forgot to bring extra food. You guys have plenty, right?

Cart
Fishing Rod
Bin of Gold Bars
Purring Maggot
Chicken
2x Barrel of Pure Alcohol
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 23, 2010, 03:51:52 am »

I'm sure we started with only seven. I'll have to kill a few of you off This should be even more fun!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: November 23, 2010, 04:23:18 am »

Don't worry bros, I brought pure alcohol, since we're lower on booze than drink - we can dilute it plenty. If we do it, say, 20% alcohol by volume (stronger than beer, wine, and ale, but much weaker than rum), my two barrels will last us 9 extra days. My maggot and chicken should help with the food issue too. If we're desperate, we can trade away gold crafts for food. I'll work on fishing as soon as we find an underground pool or the river thaws.

One thing I'd like to note: Our attitudes are unbreakable, so presumably eating terrible food shouldn't have too bad an effect...

By the way, Shade-o, what does record keeping do?

Obok marches up to the fortress, dragging his cart behind him. He shouts a greeting, introduces themselves, then moves to the public supply pile to unload his cart. He drops his maggot and chicken near the fortress to graze, then heads out to work mining.

09-11: Eat breakfast of Brine Ale and Mud Worm Paste. Take extra time to make lengthy libation to Aned Luckystep, praying for swift mining today.
11-15: Grab a pick. Mine out floodgate area next to river.
15-16: Take a break. Organize records.
16-20: GET BACK TO WORK, MAGGIT. Mine moar.
20-21: Eat dinner of Brine Ale and Mud Worm Paste.
21-00: Grab bedding from the stockpile, then sleep in it

*If at any time any torture device is created, stop all work and attempt to deconstruct it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:51:23 pm by Cheddarius »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 23, 2010, 04:44:29 am »

Record keeping will be vital at later stages, otherwise you won't be able to find maps, stockpile lists and other bureaucratic things. Currently it's easy as you all know what's been brought in the caravan and there's only small changes per day.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:50:50 am by Shade-o »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 23, 2010, 04:51:18 am »

All right. And for the pulling up barrels to remove dirt, does that work? We could also dig out a ramp and use my cart...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: November 23, 2010, 04:56:53 am »

Any container should work for dirt. Right now you've got plenty of barrels, buckets and bags, and a generous helping of labour so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:01 am »

Excellent.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 23, 2010, 09:23:30 am »

Oh crap oh crap I've gathered all the plants (kinda).  We've got two "cave farmers", and I don't think I found any farmable surface plants anyway (Due to it being winter I suppose).

At least we shouldn't starve, once we get a butcher's shop up.  It's just the alcohol that'll run out if we don't get cave farms soon.  (Though if you sots can really drink watered-down pure alcohol, Cheddarius just helped a bunch).  I'll be drinking water only as long as I can stand it - wooden liver and all.

0000-0700: Sleep
0700-0800: Breakfast of Water and Sandow Stew
0800-1000: Tend to chickens, collect eggs
1000-1200: Milk purring maggots
1200-1300: Head north into the forest with axe, armor and backpack
1300-1700: Collect anything edible-looking.
1700-1800: Return to camp
1800-1900: Watch the sun set at camp.  Honor Kun with Urist
1900-2000: Dinner of water and Num Num Roll
2000-2300: Borrow the shovel and move fertile soil to the farm plot
2300-2400: Sleep, exhausted
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:50:34 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 249